Bulbs!

AN organ grinder and his toy monkey have been banned from performing in the streets of a Derbyshire town due to concerns over health and safety.

Ripley Town Council had to cancel summer holiday act Paddy Cooke and his monkey Simon, who were due to perform in the town centre, after being ordered to carry out a risk assessment.

The decision was made after licensing bosses at Amber Valley Borough Council wanted to gauge if the pair posed a danger to the public.
A Punch and Judy show and a dance act have also been shelved in the past three weeks.

Mr Cooke, of Crich, wears Victorian costume as he walks around playing his organ, a copy of an instrument used more than 150 years ago.

The 64-year-old, a former fireman and usher at Alfreton Magistrates’ Court, has been grinding organs for 15 years He said: “It’s not as if I have a live monkey which might jump at people. Mine is a battery-operated interactive toy and the best I have ever had. He says things like ‘I want a banana’ and even once offered to tell me the sum of pi squared.

“I suppose someone might trip over a paving slab when listening to the music and blame me but I have been doing this for years without a problem.”
Mr Cooke, whose two sons are also organ grinders, was hired as part of the summer entertainment provided by the town council and has £10m public liability insurance cover. He is also a member of the actors’ union, Equity.
But before his July 26 performance, the authority received orders from Amber Valley Borough Council which demanded to see a general risk assessment before letting street acts go ahead.

It wanted to study a list of hazards and know how they could be made safe, and even how many people might watch the shows.
Ripley Mayor Lynn Joyes said: “The risks are very low and how do performers know how big an audience they’ll get? That depends on the weather. If it’s raining you might get five, but if the weather is nice, there’ll be 105.”
Labour group leader Geoff Carlile said: “This is typical of bureaucracy gone mad. This was sprung on us at the last minute and left us in a difficult situation.”

The council was told the ruling also applies to dance groups, clowns and brass bands, including the Salvation Army.
Steve Freeborn, who represents Butterley ward, said: “What is the risk — it’s absolutely potty.” But the borough council defended its decision.

Simon Gladwin, head of landscape services, said:
“We always require that anyone organising a public event or entertainment on land managed by the borough council completes a risk assessment. “In cases such as this, where performers are unable to supply a personal risk assessment of their activities, it is the responsibility of the organiser to provide the risk assessment. “These are not required for every performer. We simply require an assessment that takes into account the different activities taking place in each location,” he said.

The town council’s summer entertainments programme has now been suspended until further notice.It is hoped that a risk assessment can be completed within the next seven days then sent to the borough council for approval.

I knew Keith would be Happy to come and explain about Risk Assessments, Who is going to explain to my missus that she cant go to the nail bar this week because Malc was killed when he hit a lorry with no lights?

Ok someone has to say it….

Question. Why do many large companies not allow drivers to do simple tasks like changing a light bulb?

Answer. Not elfinsafety at all but liability. As we all know there are drivers and there are drivers. A company which employs a couple of hundred (many of whom are strangers from agencies) has to protect itself from the village idiot masquerading as a “professional” driver. This is the guy* who makes a fuse work with the silver foil from a ■■■ packet and sets the truck on fire. He is also the one who does a temporary repair on his broken Susie and drives a hundred miles back home with no trailer brakes so he doesn’t miss Coronation Street.

There may be some things that are so simple that even he can get them right but it is much easier to put a blanket ban on any and everything because in law a company is responsible for the actions of its employees and it may well be a defence if they can point to an established practice where no one is allowed to do anything they are not qualified people to do.

*nb. He includes she and vice versa

I did’nt think Halfords stocked 24 Volt bulbs :open_mouth:

Headlight bulbs are different but evn then there cant be any more than 3 or 4 different kinds can there for the main truck manufactures? :confused:

I will always change a bulb if I can,but we dont carry Main headlight ones,but most of the trailer bulbs and rear of the unit are either single or double contacts in my experience with the smaller ones for sidelights and the bigger ones for brakelights.

Wheel Nut:
‘…I knew Keith would be Happy to come and explain about Risk Assessments,
Who is going to explain to my missus that she cant go to the nail bar this week because Malc was killed when he hit a lorry with no lights?..’

Eh? Play fair! Bulbs are easy …women are Rocket Science multiplied with Quantum Physics to the power of Sourcing Perpetual Motion: Squared.

Try Tricia?

It’s communication…innit ; )

Happy Keith:
It needn’t be an issue: Lets consider that the action of replacing a (VOR?) O/S trailer marker bulb comes with a minute possibility of dropping a screwdriver on our toe.

Well, that’s unlikely to cause any damage. However, you could accidentally stab yourself through the hand whilst using said screwdriver to lever off the lens.

Wheel Nut:

AN organ grinder and his toy monkey have been banned from performing in the streets of a Derbyshire town due to concerns over health and safety.
[snip]

Thank the “No-win-no-fee, where there’s blame, there’s a claim” culture for that.

Street performer puts on a good show, draws a good crowd. Crowd blocks pavement, forcing pedestrians that want to walk by to walk in the road. Pedestrian gets run over by traffic, sues council for allowing the street performer to do his show, blocking the pavement.

Exactly. The countries gone mad. I’ve read somewhere this week of a street performer, having worked in the same location for many years, being banned by the local council because the risk assesment results weren’t positive enough. Even the council admitted embarassment.

Driveroneuk:
Exactly. The countries gone mad. I’ve read somewhere this week of a street performer, having worked in the same location for many years, being banned by the local council because the risk assesment results weren’t positive enough. Even the council admitted embarassment.

Was it about 5 posts above this one? :smiley:

Indeed it was :open_mouth:

Knew i’d read it somewhere & i was right, i had :laughing: