Browns Distribution Stoke-on-Trent

richie22:
Romance aside, can anyone on these pages name a good job in stoke, good outfit, reasonable money, hours etc etc? 10 years working for mostly stoke based hauliers I struggle to name one that isn’t ran on a shoe string …

what about dunelm ? they’ve got a big place up there.

richie22:
Romance aside, can anyone on these pages name a good job in stoke, good outfit, reasonable money, hours etc etc? 10 years working for mostly stoke based hauliers I struggle to name one that isn’t ran on a shoe string …

Most small or family based haulage firms are indeed run on a shoestring but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are ■■■■ to work for, I work for one that ticks all the points you mention in your post although no doubt there will be a driver somewhere who would have nothing good to say about them.

richie22:
Whilst every interview I’ve ever sat thru I’ve consistently been lied too. The lies stopped when you got in the seat, and the reality hit… the lies never stopped. Despite the Monday -Friday job add newer drivers were nagged for saturdays ‘just run in’. Highland spring to Tesco goole then home is ‘just run in’ . He does not give a monkeys to put it lightly that you have a life outside of work, 60+ hours this week, so ! That sort of guy . When the sons and directors work around him you know he’s the emporer

They made Mick a director of the company many years ago… Well you would wouldn’t you, he doesn’t have a life and almost lives in the office so might as well make him feel important and he’ll carry on doing it. Many office staff have left because Mick won’t let go and allow them to get on with their job!

Olog Hai:
E&E and Lovatts (if the latter is still going) didn’t have the best of reputations and Lovatt and his missus certainly had a little tiff with the VAT man not too many years ago. Shirleys was always thought a good number although how easy it is to get on I don’t know, particularly if you don’t have tanker experience. I think there is/was a lad on here who works for Shirley. DWP or whatever Danny Poole calls himself nowadays, well… :neutral_face:

Lovatts are surprisingly still going but they tend to employ drivers who’s name end in ski.
Shirley’s is still a decent company, as is Michael Shirley’s MJS.
Danny Poole? Okay for the glory boys until they get tired of the crap and suspicion.

Olog Hai:
Avoid Davis like you would a woman with herpes.

Davis is no more, it’s Buffaload now although probably the same old office staff.

That’s the thing with browns, they don’t see an issue with monster hours… you can earn a good wage there without a doubt but understand you are there slave. Sad really, the work they have is good and well varied but terribly ran … the gaffer thru his life away for the firm so you are expected to do similar .

you also got diamond freight at etruria, and bassets transport at tittensor, tp transport cheadle

Some interesting replies guys,cheers.

Well, I went along for a chat and to be fair was quite impressed with the guy I saw, his opening line was “it’s not the best job in the world, nor is it the worst” he seemed straight up and was happy to offer me a job on the spot.

I’ll be doing local multi drops, days, starting @ 7:30 and according to a mate there who’s on the same job won’t be finishing after 8pm, it’s a four wheeler but paid class 1 rates and I’ll be doing class 1 as & when which tbh I’m not bothered about if the job is ok.

I cut my teeth doing multi drop back in the day,parcels, upto 65 drops and 15pickups per day so 8-10 drops and an average 5-7 pickups won’t mind me too much as it’s Stoke and Crewe, hardly distance work!

I’m going to give it a bash and see if it suits, if it does then great, if not, eventually I’m sure Stobart’s will sort out the contract I’ve been waiting for and I can go back on a contract basis to what I know inside out and really don’t mind, for the moment I can’t afford to stay with them on a casual basis when they’ve no work for casual drivers at present.

Browns may turn out crap, if so hey ho I’ll keep my eye out for something else, it might just suit me down to the ground, if I don’t try I won’t know and ultimately at least it’s guaranteed work which currently Stobart’s can’t give me.

Rentadent:

Olog Hai:
E&E and Lovatts (if the latter is still going) didn’t have the best of reputations and Lovatt and his missus certainly had a little tiff with the VAT man not too many years ago. Shirleys was always thought a good number although how easy it is to get on I don’t know, particularly if you don’t have tanker experience. I think there is/was a lad on here who works for Shirley. DWP or whatever Danny Poole calls himself nowadays, well… :neutral_face:

Lovatts are surprisingly still going but they tend to employ drivers who’s name end in ski.
Shirley’s is still a decent company, as is Michael Shirley’s MJS.
Danny Poole? Okay for the glory boys until they get tired of the crap and suspicion.

Olog Hai:
Avoid Davis like you would a woman with herpes.

Davis is no more, it’s Buffaload now although probably the same old office staff.

Now that you mention it, I did read something somewhere about Davis having gone bust/changed hands/whatever. I imagine it’s still the same ■■■■, different name. As for Danny Poole, I think he has long been ‘well known’ in the area if you know what I mean and he did end up buying a pub somewhere near Hanley. I’m not familiar with the rules about slander/defamation/etc so I will leave it at that!

what about dunelm ? they’ve got a big place up there.
[/quote]
Dunelm is now run by DHL,i belive that they were advertising for drivers for that contract,i use to work for nuttalls who had the contract in the beginning when they moved to stoke from burton on trent and it was a fairly good job then,when they were busy we use to be based there all week from rochdale.nuttalls were outbid when the contract was up and the firm that took over completly ballsed it up,i dont know if DHL will run it the same way as the last firm did but it might be worth a look

rangechange59:
Dunelm is now run by DHL,i belive that they were advertising for drivers for that contract,i use to work for nuttalls who had the contract in the beginning when they moved to stoke from burton on trent and it was a fairly good job then,when they were busy we use to be based there all week from rochdale.nuttalls were outbid when the contract was up and the firm that took over completly ballsed it up,i dont know if DHL will run it the same way as the last firm did but it might be worth a look

Have DHL took it over from Lloyd Fraser? They had it a couple of years ago, I assumed they were still in there.

dhl took over either last month or this month

DHL took over either last month or this month

Thanks everyone I have been trying to get class two work since October and are constantly being messed around with agencies and only get offered one to two days work a week. I will take my c.v to these companies in person in the morning. :smiley:

richie22:

try simon gibson just up the m6 from you tanker work thay got new contrack in feb one of there drivers parks in stoke at the volvo delers good kit good pay aswel mostley load and run from congleton powder tanks do a lot of sand good luck drive