British trucks in Australia

G’day SDU and thanks for the gen on the Invincibles with the DD but this was way earlier than when Guy Motors were bought by Jaguar hence the name “Big J” and the 8 LXB didn’t appear until 1972 IIRC. In the UK at the time the choice of engines available to Guy Motors was very limited and the power requirements “down under” were way over what Guy’s could offer so it made sense fitting an engine that was more acceptable to the Aussie Operators. Regards Dennis.

oiltreader:
Varied all in OZ.
Oily

I reckon they’re Kiwi photos, rather than Australian.

Bewick:
G’day SDU and thanks for the gen on the Invincibles with the DD but this was way earlier than when Guy Motors were bought by Jaguar hence the name “Big J” and the 8 LXB didn’t appear until 1972 IIRC. In the UK at the time the choice of engines available to Guy Motors was very limited and the power requirements “down under” were way over what Guy’s could offer so it made sense fitting an engine that was more acceptable to the Aussie Operators. Regards Dennis.

To get nerdy this Detroit is an interesting thing. If I understand DD speak correctly a 4-115 is a 4 cylinder of 115cu/in per cylinder, so near enough 7.5litres, output was 150bhp. After some Googling the only references I can find to this engine are in tractors, it seems an odd configuration and an odd choice.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=krH5lBkKQUc

And can you imagine listening to that all day just under your left elbow, you’d be deaf in a couple of months.

acd1202:

Bewick:

To get nerdy this Detroit is an interesting thing. If I understand DD speak correctly a 4-115 is a 4 cylinder of 115cu/in per cylinder, so near enough 7.5litres, output was 150bhp. After some Googling the only references I can find to this engine are in tractors, it seems an odd configuration and an odd choice.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=krH5lBkKQUc

And can you imagine listening to that all day just under your left elbow, you’d be deaf in a couple of months.

As far as I know, the 115 were an industrial motor. I’ve never heard of them in automotive use. The DDs fitted to the Guys were 71 series, either 4 71N producing 140ish hp, or 6 71N good for an extra 30ish horses. The two strokes were simple to coax extra power from, simply by changing injectors.

An old Leyland Terrier in a paddock: youtube.com/watch?v=D77oqpg13pY

Have a shufti at his youtube channel, lots of old wagons sat there (not all his).

colinwallace1:
Maybe an ex gritter, or similar.

The cab has similarities, but the photo is of a former fire appliance from Melbourne Airport, built new c.1968 with a ■■■■■■■ 335 and Allison auto box

240 Gardner:

colinwallace1:
Maybe an ex gritter, or similar.

The cab has similarities, but the photo is of a former fire appliance from Melbourne Airport, built new c.1968 with a ■■■■■■■ 335 and Allison auto box

Criky, be quicker off the mark than the aeroplanes with that driveline!

Somewhere in the bush.
Oily

Screenshot (905).png

oiltreader:
Somewhere in the bush.
Oily

I do believe Oily too have stumbled on a group of chaps hiding from the mermaids

Dig

I was watching an episode of Outback Opal Hunters last night , i think from series 10 and there were a few miners trying to start what i thought was a 1972 Leyland Clydesdale , they jumped started it with quite a few shots of easy start and off they went. When the cameraman moved back he revealed an eight wheeler tipper fitted with a G Cab .Not something we saw over here or i don’t remember seeing .It could have been a local conversion and i think it could have been a V8 but not 100%

1938 Beaver tow truck, sv1ambo photo.
Oily

P.M.G. Post Master General mail delivery circa 1950.
Oily

Bruce Highway Benaraby Rockhampton 1975.
Oily