British road Services

Dennis Javelin:
How I do it is by going onto this site buslistsontheweb.co.uk then go into the search menu. Click on the “registration” tab and it brings up a box for you to put in a reg no. If you put in the the letters part of the reg no in CAPITALS and then put in three underscores like SHS___, press search it will bring up a list of any buses that were registered with similar marks. You can then work out approximately how old the vehicle you are looking at is by dating the first reg of a bus with a similar mark. It’s not foolproof because it relies on a bus being registered around the same time but if that’s not the case then just use a letter either side of the one you’re looking for ie if your looking for SHS975 but nothing comes up then put in THS___ or UHS___ continuing until you get a match.

Simple and efficient, at least for buses. Thanks!

Scammel under restoration at Sytmuseum seen today

I have turned them up, they look a bit better now. I expect this Scammell was from a BRS
depot in the North West with its code starting with a C. I would like to find some pictures
of BRS lorries from what was BRS Kitt Green, directly opposite the H.J.Heinz factory at Wigan.
I think the BRS code for Kitt Green depot was CG.
Click the pictures for a full image.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

I reckon BRS did more dock traction than we realise, going right back to the early ro-ro unaccompanied freight ferries.

72f40a70b2edcb17d8add0c51958b073.jpg
16hHJHEFFl1PkeM7BS4M6giCw60_12-vi.jpg
e2632.jpg

trailer off the Scammel in storage

I have just found this picture of a Seddon artic from BRS Kitt Green depot,Wigan, which I
posted on the Wigan Transport thread several years ago. The location is immediately South
of Wigan North Western railway station, the main railway line between London Euston and
all routes to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, & Inverness etc. The site is now occupied by a
nationwide company called " The Range ". When the building was built, probably 30 years
ago, it was initially occupied by " WHS Do It All ". Click picture for full image.
Picture by Eddie Heaton.

Ray Smyth.

BRS Kitt Green.png

Can anyone supply more information. i can see its a Perkins P6 and it is a Dennis Horia ,possibly taken over on nationalisation ?
296019414_3228217840725414_1219409255285800821_n.jpgToshboy

toshboy:
Can anyone supply more information. i can see its a Perkins P6 and it is a Dennis Horia ,possibly taken over on nationalisation ? 0Toshboy

The reg. number is a London issue from 1951-53, so firmly in the BRS era. Maybe a one-off for a specific job?
Bernard

299327331_3271597009787561_7735152696958752642_n.jpg

Adrian Cypher pic. Fao harry_gill

i dont know where M.E.was however BANBURY was M.B. i suspect OXFORD or SWINDON as the stillages on the trailer are for. motor parts .
Plus how back then we never cleaned lorries.

ME was Swindon, pic taken at Greenbridge yard which is now a retail park.

I found this picture on the Bootle History Forum. I am fairly sure that it is a B.R.S six wheeler from
Greenheys depot in Manchester, and it has a Bolton number plate. I dont know if the driver is the
chap stood up on the lorry, or the boiler suit man on the left. The location is Gladstone Dock in
Liverpool, dated August 9th 1965. In addition to the 5 dockers unloading the sacks off the lorry,
there would be another 5 of them down in the hold of the ship unloading the nets of sacks.
One of the nets of sacks can be seen being lowered down to the dockers below.

The steel plate on the overhead travelling crane shows Stothert & Pitt, Engineers, Bath. My Mother,
born 1918, lived as a child directly opposite Stothert & Pitt factories on the Lower Bristol Road, Bath.

Ray Smyth.

Gladstone Dock.png

Ray Smyth:
I found this picture on the Bootle History Forum. I am fairly sure that it is a B.R.S six wheeler from
Greenheys depot in Manchester, and it has a Bolton number plate. I dont know if the driver is the
chap stood up on the lorry, or the boiler suit man on the left. The location is Gladstone Dock in
Liverpool, dated August 9th 1965. In addition to the 5 dockers unloading the sacks off the lorry,
there would be another 5 of them down in the hold of the ship unloading the nets of sacks.

The steel plate on the overhead travelling crane shows Stothert & Pitt, Engineers, Bath. My Mother,
born 1918, lived as a child directly opposite Stothert & Pitt factories on the Lower Bristol Road, Bath.

Ray Smyth.

Ah, the infamous Gladstone dock Liverpool . I like many others spent many days/hours waiting in that one . also a reminder for me re Stothert and Pitt ,Bath where i was employed for a couple of years at one time . thanks for the nostalgic picture Ray, —Toshboy

Ray Smyth:

Ray Smyth.

The dockers, to be working like that, must have been on a special ‘closing’ bonus, otherwise the driver would have been on his own apart from a man with a clipboard. If a ship was due to be sailing money was thrown at it to get it away.

Suedehead:

Hiya,
Harry Gill’s phoned in sick.

harry_gill:

Suedehead:

Hiya,
Harry Gill’s phoned in sick.

:laughing:

Suedehead: