British road Services

fodenway:
The old BRS offices in Lady Lane, Leeds. Taken last week, it looks as though the building is about to be either renovated or demolished. Anyone know what it’s fate is?

I believe it’s to be demolished as part of an area regeneration,although this is not certain.The building should be retained as it has had quite a history as part of BRS.There used to be a lovely signboard right across the front,at one time.

This was the head office of Scottish Road Services from the late 70’s until their demise. A total vanity project at a time when the company was haemorrhaging money but typical of the times in respect of the nationalised company. The boardroom table was huge and like something out of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. God only knows what it must have cost. The amount of polish alone to keep it clean must have been horrendous. I don’t know how to take a screen grab of Google maps so if someone could do this I would be grateful.

google.com/maps/place/175+G … -3.7848357

Dennis Javelin:
This was the head office of Scottish Road Services from the late 70’s until their demise. A total vanity project at a time when the company was haemorrhaging money but typical of the times in respect of the nationalised company. The boardroom table was huge and like something out of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. God only knows what it must have cost. The amount of polish alone to keep it clean must have been horrendous. I don’t know how to take a screen grab of Google maps so if someone could do this I would be grateful.

Sounds like the giant polished oval dining table at the Sortie 9 routier restaurant on the A 20 north of Chateauroux. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it for the first time and all the old tables had been taken out. The patron was a bit eccentric and he must have been to a bankrupt stock sale. I never counted how many of us were around it but I bet it was more than the previous capacity.

Dennis Javelin:

Here you are.

Regards John.

old 67:

Dennis Javelin:

Here you are.

Dennis Javelin:

old 67:

Dennis Javelin:

Here you are.

Thanks for that. Just to elaborate on the cash haemorrhage that I was talking about, around the same time as they moved into these “ivory towers” we had the bizarre scenario where, in order to get cash into the business, SRS de-taxed the vast majority of their fleet from the standard 12 months rate and re-taxed it at the 4 months rate. I witnessed a lot of embarrassing moments during my time but that was up there with the best.

But at least the board got to eat their dinner from a beautiful table.

NMP - Maudslay Meritor eight legger

BRS clearly ran tilts on Continental work and did a bit of domestic dock traction. However, I don’t remember BRS being huge on tilt work. Apart from their short dabble in Middle-East work it isn’t easy to find much photo evidence of tilt work. Here is a selection I managed to unearth this evening.

brs marathan.jpg
R.jpg

5.jpg
9.jpg
16hHJHEFFl1PkeM7BS4M6giCw60_12-vi.jpg

continued…

continued:

2h7qasi.jpg
45587817874_2dae10d76e.jpg

Marathon5-vi.jpg

CX00449.jpg

This was taken recently on Bristol harbourside, re-living the old times, loading out of a wagon using the crane, very interesting.

8F563AE8-AF39-4398-BE27-9F39E5346026.jpeg

Pair of beauties ! NMP off FB

coomsey:

Cheshire number plates, locally built ERFs, I imagine they carried salt from the underground salt mine at Winsford.

Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:

coomsey:

Cheshire number plates, locally built ERFs, I imagine they carried salt from the underground salt mine at Winsford.

Ray Smyth.

BRS North Cheshire Group I think.

I wonder if this has been on here before?
forum.retro-rides.org/thread/21 … nk-haulage

essexpete:

Excellent groups of photos Essex Pete,I noticed the wrecker that we inherited at the Irthlingborough Repair centre when it was based at Luton before it was transferred to us.
Top Luton
Cheers Dig

image001%2520copy copy.jpg

DIG:

essexpete:

Excellent groups of photos Essex Pete,I noticed the wrecker that we inherited at the Irthlingborough Repair centre when it was based at Luton before it was transferred to us.
Top Luton
Cheers Dig

Ditto Dig, really enjoyed those pics. My uncle drove for BRS out of the Bedford depot.

Kempston:

DIG:

essexpete:

Top Luton
Cheers Dig

Ditto Dig, really enjoyed those pics. My uncle drove for BRS out of the Bedford depot.

Thank you Dig for those photos , a typical round up of my BRS days also , period 1951 on was good ,getting equipped constantly with new trucks after the rubbish handed in from the private sector mainly worn out wartime ex MWT lorries,and with good mates mostly ex services who stuck together ,union membership was necessary to enter Docks ,mines, or any other nationlised industry,pay was graded to size of vehicle ,overtime after 8 hours daily and double for Sundays etc. max 12 hrs twice weekly allowed -whats this 15 hr day nonsense of today, progress ? and we called it a glorified labourers job then -what changes !–Toshboy