British road Services

ERF-NGC-European:

That looks like Worcester to me ,regards Keith

Hi lads, not many of us left but now with election time upon us and Jeremy and co looking to nationalise everything in sight. could we see a resurgent BRS MK 2 ? slim chance I suppose , is it what todays drivers want ? standard wages and conditions and none of this daily moaning about agencies and all the rest of the crp we read about on this forum, having to go back to a 11hr day, proper overtime rates for nights and week ends etc how can it be that I read about a 15 hr day allowed in this day and age - it seems to me that as long as they can drive a blinged up truck they roll over to anything asked of them, do you think the industry has gone backwards -if so then drivers need to have a good look at themselves ! toshboy

toshboy:
Hi lads, not many of us left but now with election time upon us and Jeremy and co looking to nationalise everything in sight. could we see a resurgent BRS MK 2 ? slim chance I suppose , is it what todays drivers want ? standard wages and conditions and none of this daily moaning about agencies and all the rest of the crp we read about on this forum, having to go back to a 11hr day, proper overtime rates for nights and week ends etc how can it be that I read about a 15 hr day allowed in this day and age - it seems to me that as long as they can drive a blinged up truck they roll over to anything asked of them, do you think the industry has gone backwards -if so then drivers need to have a good look at themselves ! toshboy

You could be right Toshboy, but I wouldn’t hold your breath re doing away with agency workers, BRS or not. However agency working does not have to be all bad, perhaps better regulated, there are drivers I believe who prefer the comparative freedom it gives.

When I was manager at Toray I was forced for several years to employ agnecy drivers, because the company would not take on permanent staff. But they enjoyed almost the same conditions as the regular blokes because I only used the best agency, one which gave them holiday and sick pay, and they were with us pemanently in all but name only. But not one of them passed up the chance to come onto staff when the brakes were released. When I stood down as manager there was not one driver left who had not been agency previously.

But 15 hour days? Outrageous, I don’t even come near that even now in my car. 10 hours max driving and 12 spread for me, and often much less. When I was asked to do 15s with my last employer (French) I refused.

Leyland DAF - K227GRC - BRS Truck Rental:

A couple of photos of a Bristol from Guildford at different stages of it’s life

Volvo FL6 - F816XSC - BRS (SRS Truck Rental):

Great photo Trooper2, i like that livery a lot .

A photo of Jock Fultons lovely T45 roadtrain he drove at the Oxford depot.

1163_781296425347396_5427430771713999242_n.jpg

Please: Anyone know the approx build years of BRS Leyland LAD-cabbed unit registered 714-LWL and Guy Warrior unit 118-LOG?

ERF-NGC-European:
Please: Anyone know the approx build years of BRS Leyland LAD-cabbed unit registered 714-LWL and Guy Warrior unit 118-LOG?

Not certain on build dates,but 714 LWL first registered April 1961 & 118 LOG first registered Dec 1963

roolechat:

ERF-NGC-European:

Not certain on build dates,but 714 LWL first registered April 1961 & 118 LOG first registered Dec 1963

Wow! You’re a star! It was the reg date (rather than the build dates I wanted) so thanks :sunglasses:

LWL was an Oxford issued reg no, sometime from April 61 to Sept 61, LOG a Birmingham issue December 63 to May 64.

An old Toft Bros and Tomlinson lorry from Darley Dale, it still has the logo on the cab after being taken over by BRS.
I started my driving career with TB&T. I think they ceased trading around 1974.
NMP

Birdie4x4:
An old Toft Bros and Tomlinson lorry from Darley Dale, it still has the logo on the cab after being taken over by BRS.
NMP

They ceased in 1975 Birdie. When I married and moved north to Matlock Bath in March '75 I was unemployed and the Labour Exchange offered me two fitting jobs: Tofts and Tilcon at Ballidon. I went with Ballidon as both father in law and brother in law worked there, I think that Tofts folded later that year.

Pete.

windrush:

Birdie4x4:
NMP

They ceased in 1975 Birdie. When I married and moved north to Matlock Bath in March '75 I was unemployed and the Labour Exchange offered me two fitting jobs: Tofts and Tilcon at Ballidon. I went with Ballidon as both father in law and brother in law worked there, I think that Tofts folded later that year.

Pete.

That’s about right, I was still working for them when they packed up, it was a shame as they were a good firm to work for, after they closed I went to Matlock Transport as they bought a couple of Toft’s artics, the first they had on the fleet, then to Joseph Hoyle’s and then on the Middle East for a few years before buying and running my own lorry.
Quite a few of my mates ran out of Tilcon at Ballidon.

NMP

I suspect the starting handle at the front will not be missed by us old timers reminiscing.

Gidders:
I suspect the starting handle at the front will not be missed by us old timers reminiscing.

Depends how old time the old timers are. I think I might qualify, but the only time I had to swing one (several in fact) was on a rope with some other drivers outside some digs one morning on the Great North Road. Haven’t a clue where, but the fact that this was my only experience suggests that whatever I had at the time, had a self starter. :unamused: :laughing:

Birdie4x4:
NMP

That one windscreen wiper, those mirrors, the “headlights” and no indicators…wow… :wink:

I can remember working on lorries like these back in the 60’ s the Dennis Max springs to mind, very similar to that one…and now, 60 years on… :wink:

Spardo:

Gidders:

Depends how old time the old timers are. I think I might qualify, but the only time I had to swing one (several in fact) was on a rope with some other drivers outside some digs one morning on the Great North Road. Haven’t a clue where, but the fact that this was my only experience suggests that whatever I had at the time, had a self starter. :unamused: :laughing:

I reckon the ropes were being consigned to history in the late 50’s. And self starter equipped Guy Arab double deckers were addicted to the rope in Dewsbury bus station. “# 26 has a flat battery AGAIN, get the bloody rope” :stuck_out_tongue: It was common to leave the engine running the whole shift, early morning until last bus at night.
And now we are in an era where cars are equipped with stop/ start systems