Bridge height question

dieseldog999:
personally if i was heading for that with anything higher than a fridge it would be saying to me…hazards on,headlights on main beam,dead centre,bollox to anyone else coming towards me…window right down,as your going under,be hanging out of aforementioned window in crawler with your toe pointing at the brake,assuming id scrape through anyway.

Ding ding ding…

We have a winner!

Wiretwister:
Absolutely, only a fool doesn’t ask if they are unsure. No such thing as a stupid question an
But what if the answers given, in good faith, happen to be wrong? I put a link up earlier to a .gov site with information which is different to the majority view here so which is the correct answer?

Got another version that shows 16’6. But to be fair since day one I’ve always thought it’s been 16’6 with 16’3 as recommended max travelling height.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … otocol.pdf

AndrewG:
Wheres the metric measurement on these bridges, fourteen shillings and threepence is out of the ark…

As I understand it the metric equivalent is not legally required, same as the roadworks advance warning signs etc. must be in yards.

You have obviously been in the land of 10’s so long you have forgotten the proper way of measuring things :laughing:

I once tried to explain the imperial system of weights and measures to some french friends. When we got to there being 112 pounds in a hundredweight they decided I was definitely making it up and would not listen so we had another two sixths of a gill (47.4ml) of something alcoholic and found another subject :unamused:

It is a bit mad though, as far as I am aware it is metric only in school and yet imperial is still the legally required measurement for roadsigns. I think the stopping distances in the highway code, and therefore required knowledge for driving tests, are in metres for speeds in miles per hour :laughing:

I always check my fuel consumption in the car in miles per litre, in the truck I use km. Nothing like being bilingual :laughing:

It’s all well and good been constructive with your posts and answers but sometimes it can be off the wall when its just common sense
And I’m not just talking about here you come across it every day on the road
Constructive answers don’t have to be nice they have to be truthful and if that means posting a few truths about some posts or questions or answers then so be it
This is not a baby sitting forum everything works both ways as long as it’s not insulting

Captain Caveman 76:

Banker:
In my experience if you have to ask then something is not right with whomever is driving the vehicle
It’s part of a drivers job to know about things like this and its so scarey to think that there are people out there on the road who don’t know how to approach it
Is it a moment when a couple of feet from it they realise that they made a mistake and just keep going

In MY experience, it’s when questions AREN’T asked that things go wrong. Better off asking a question and look stupid than not ask and look worse!

This, I had to look twice at that picture, and I’ve been doing this for over 30 years lol