brick nets

I used to drive a drop-sided rigid carrying rolls of fencing wire, and pallets of ironmongery for gates and other assorted fencing materials. Was much easier to secure and sheet the load than a flatbed. I was and still am in awe of you roping and sheeting boys who can tie down any load and it doesn’t move an inch.

I would like to be shown the ropes (excuse the pun :smiley: ) one day. Respect to you guys - it’s an art.

Jammy: I’m not sure a net would stop a pack of bricks if it chose to move but it would certainly stop the loose stuff if a pack came apart.

Used to know a chap who brought dog food in from France. During the summer he used to simply put a fly sheet over it. His argument was that it never moves in a tautliner so why should it on a flat. :open_mouth:

I miss the art of rope and sheet work but not the soakings and the aching finger joints you got.

Nets on brick trucks,Are the a bit like the “Mesh” tarps/rollover covers that are used on tippers?To stop the flying stones etc from the top of the load hitting other motorists same as a loose or broken brick working its way out of the pallet?

boots:
Nets on brick trucks,Are the a bit like the “Mesh” tarps/rollover covers that are used on tippers?To stop the flying stones etc from the top of the load hitting other motorists same as a loose or broken brick working its way out of the pallet?

Perhaps someone would like to point out to rubble tipper drivers and skip drivers what these nets are for :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

When I was a lot younger I was travelling in the car with my Old Dear following a skip lorry with a load of rubble in the back and no sheet or anything over the top. It went over a rut in the road and a large piece of concrete was jostled out on to the road. My Old Dear was unable to avoid it because of the width of the road and oncoming traffic and it smashed into bumper and ripped the sump, drive-shafts, exhaust, track rod arms clean off and also severely damaged the underside of the car, rendering it an insurance write off. As is the norm with skip drivers, the wagon was covered in 3" of [zb] and of course the rego plate was conveniently obscured by muck too so the driver got away with it and my Old Dear was left with the humungous repair bill :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Whilst I do have strong opinions on some stupid things drivers do (as you all now know) I don’t believe in grassing up a driver unless the actions are putting myself and/or other road users at an exceptionally high risk on injury at the least. Had I been following this skip wagon myself it would have been a 999 call for sure and without doubt a strongly worded call to the company, had a name and number been displayed.

Qhunter:
Jammy: I’m not sure a net would stop a pack of bricks if it chose to move but it would certainly stop the loose stuff if a pack came apart.

It CAN (notice I dont say WILL) hold a few packs on if they start to fall apart, the camber on that roundabout outside Wolverhampton Nightowl has had a couple of packs fall apart on me before now (OK so I wasnt hanging about but I didnt leave any on the road & thats all that matters), just as easily, if one pack goes the net can pull adjacent packs out too so its swings/roundabouts (usually the bloody roundabouts :laughing: )

has anyone noticed some block hauliers who do not use any thing to secure there loads, mainly around wrexham a5 area totally crazy .iused to do a block job and even with nets rope down the middle and across every pack was cut up at a set of lights and mounted the kerb only to see 2 packs hanging in the net over the side of the trailer,had to stop and restack them. CPC notes say “load should be secured to withstand aforce of at least the total weight of load forward(headboard) half the total weight of the load backwards and sideways” so you brick and block hauliers no rope or nets = insecure load

Maybe so, I will stick with my cornerboards & straps, 25/26t (somwhere between 22-34 packs depending on product with 5 or 6 straps across them…all shrink wrapped I hasten to add).
You work it out, its all about anticipation but should it go wrong I hate to think what a mess it woud make

Up until 8 years ago, I was still regularly roping and sheeting… and I could gaurantee every time I left the yard, it was for Yorkshire and it would be either blowing a gale up there or peeing it down of rain!! As it was always bags, sacks or whatever of chemicals, it had to be sheeted and it was always a nightmare!! I never use to mind doing drums though… rope every second row and a fly over the top. :slight_smile: Easy peasy

Not nets but:
When I got my first job driving and working in the yard, containerisation was just coming in and most trailers didnt have twist locks. We had to rope containers to the trailer, honestly! Tho old Seawheel Lancashire flats were worst with two sliding lifting eyes and a lot of rope. The dockers eventually refused to load the boxes if you didnt have at least 2 twistlocks.

Alfred Gelder Street in Hull was regularly closed with a 20’ box sat on the road

What are the rules now regarding containers and trailers without twistlocks. I know the construction industry used to get dispensation but whats the score now? Are you allowed to carry a container without twistlocks? Is it a minimum of two ?

In 1987 - 98 I spent a whole year driving from Milton Keynes to Bridgewater and back every night with one of the very first DAF 85’s and a flat tri axle loaded with bricks form the London Brick Co.
My very first load I found a fly sheet and some rope came with the truck. I rolled out the sheet, sucured it very taught, then proceeded to rope the load, after three hooks from the front I ran out of rope and the 5 other drivers said they were leaving and to just cross the front and back. I did this but was worried about the load moving. I followed the other guys at about 60 - 70 mph along back roads, up and down dale and around bends, the A43 from Bicester to Oxford was a single carriageway then. Some guys just threw the fly sheets on and drove off.
I one whole year I never saw one brick come off or even move on any load.

The fact is that if by any chance that load of bricks decides to move, no rope, strap, sheet or net is going to stop it. :sunglasses: