Brexit and the driver shortage

Cool story, but I am not on Twitter, or any social media. Don’t read national newspapers or watch hardly any TV.

Are you a member of any Internet forums?

Only this one buddy :smiley:

How much longer will it be before talking to the proverbial “guy down the pub” is labelled as “Russian Meddling”…

Alf Garnet - was brainwashed during the cold war to argue the way he did…

Del Boy - is a Russian infiltrator into the Capitalist West…

Everything you see and hear - but don’t like is “Russian Meddling” - but presumably only if you don’t like Russia from the start.

Hmm… This is a bit of a contradiction.

Back in the early 80’s, then-leader of the Labour Party Michael Foot (“Footy”) - used to get lamblasted all the time for having policies and political opinion “rather too close to the soviet regime” already labelled the “Evil Empire” by none other than Ronald Reagan, POTUS at the time.

The Labour manifesto going into the 1983 general election, which pundits “wondered how Thatcher could possibly win” - heralded the so-called “Longest Suicide Note in History”.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_longe … in_history

So did “Russian Meddling” upset the applecart, and keep Thatcher in power? - Nope. The Labour leadership did that all by themselves.

Today, we appear to have a Left of politics in this country that cannot STAND Putin’s Russia of the 21st Century.

Does that mean that Russia has moved onwards and upwards, away from Communism, and onto something else, like Center Left popularism?
Putin is treated like a god among his own people.
We British folk - kinda cannot stand our political leaders across the entire spectrum meanwhile…

May is despised,
Corbyn is feared,
Stugeon/Cable are out of touch,
Farage is hated, Batton stays well “Not out there enough” for the time being. Non-UKIP voters think Farage is still the leader, implying they don’t vote UKIP because Farage is still in charge. No, they don’t vote UKIP because Farage draws breath - more like!
The Greens - are still something you tried to avoid eating during school dinners.

There’s no respect for our peers any more.
If you “stop voting” though - you then cannot moan if someone you don’t like (i.e. ANY of the above!) gets into power…

You need to vote to change the top then.

Is Trump doing well in America with his different “amateurish” approach to politics?
Let’s see what happens in the American Mid-term elections next month…
The Democrats are saying “We only need to win two seats to take back control of the senate”…
The Republicans are saying “That WILL happen - so get out and vote to stop it!”

…That strategy actually worked in the 2016 election, so I have a funny feeling that the Democrats are going to get a right old drubbing, maybe losing a double digit number of senators… :open_mouth:

hkloss1:
I’m wondering what outcome would have been if not for leave campaign false promisses and lies, thatbhave surfaced after the referendum.

…and now after the vote we are being told this:

telegraph.co.uk/technology/ … fake-news/

Russian trolls sent thousands of pro-Leave messages on day of Brexit referendum, Twitter data reveals

An army of Russian trolls sent thousands of messages with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU on the day of Britain’s referendum on membership of the EU, according to new data released by Twitter.

On 23 June 2016, the day of the Brexit vote, Russia mobilised an army of trolls, which at one stage included 3,800 accounts. The fake accounts Tweeted out 1,102 posts with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU.

The Russian-linked accounts Tweeted out the phrase “Brexit” more than 4,400 times during its period of activity, although mostly after the referendum had taken place.

The data from Twitter showed Russian and Iranian internet trolls sent more than 10 million Tweets in an effort to spread disinformation and discord in the West, including a day-long blitz on the day of the Brexit vote.

Russian “troll factory” the Internet Research Agency and a separate group of Iranian hackers used networks of Twitter accounts to spread divisive information, according to a new database released by the social network.

Some of the posts came from accounts masquerading as news organisations and journalists. Others came from internet personalities crafted over years by Russian hackers, such as Jenna Abrams, purportedly a Trump supporting American woman. “Remember this day It’s a new start for Britain #Brexit
Article50,” the account Tweeted.

While there were attempts to influence British politics, the vast majority of the effort was dedicated to the 2016 US election, said Ben Nimmo, a senior researcher at Atlantic Council which analysed the Tweets.

“The leave EU hashtag looked like a targeted opportunity, but it is not like what we saw happen in the US, where there was two years targeting Hillary pre-election,” he said.

Twitter previously said it had only found 49 Russian IRA accounts that had tried to influence the Brexit vote, although it subsequently banned many more. The accounts also share linked, news stories to real and misleading websites, gifs and videos.

The government said that there was no evidence Russian attempts had succeeded in influencing the referendum result.

Jeremy Wright, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, said: "We are working on a range of measures to improve the online environment and build audience resilience to disinformation, including from hostile states.”

Iran also made an effort to influence British politics, launching attacks on former UKIP leader Nigel Farage and former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, while mostly praising Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. Twitter revealed posts from 770 Iranian accounts that had engaged in attempts at disinformation.

“At last, a leading #UK Politician willing to stand up to the apartheid state of Israel and its murdering racist leader,” said one account. “This isn’t anti semitism, it’s anti #Apartheid.”

While some accounts Tweeted in broken English, others were surprisingly sophisticated. One Iranian account even Tweeted a rhyming Limerick criticising the UKIP leader.

Twitter released the information showing the full extent of the disinformation campaign. Twitter said: “It is clear that information operations and co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour will not cease. These types of tactics have been around for far longer than Twitter has existed — they will adapt and change as the geopolitical terrain evolves worldwide and as new technologies emerge.”

The internet trolls also targeted Russian people in a bid to swing them on domestic issues. On the shooting down of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 by Russian-backed separatists, the troll factory went into overdrive. The day after the event, a coordinated campaign of 57,000 Tweets went out in an effort to shift blame for the attacks to the Ukrainian government, with many sharing hashtags including #provocationbykiev, #kievshotdowntheboeing and #kievtellthetruth appeared in a single day.

The Russian accounts used tools to amplify their attacks. One fake Tweet about claims of voting fraud was re-tweeted 25,000 times. The trolls used tools to automated their attacks more than 290,000 times.

While the attacks on the UK were limited, Nimmo said “the two operations show that American society was deeply vulnerable” to well-crafted fake accounts, such as those posing as official sources or internet personalities.

…and brexiters are surprised that remainers are ■■■■■■ off at our democracy being rigged.
The vote was not much diffrent to the way votes are being rigged in Zimbabwe, Russia and , China.

Brexiters sleeping in the same bed with Russians?

The entire point to your post rests on suggesting that people vorted leave on the day of the vote due to a twitter message.
Without direct evidence from voters themselves that they indeed voted on the basis of a tweet then you have no point whatsoever, you have no eveidence at all that any single person voted on the basis of that tweet, none.
Good to seenyet more desperate moaning, all you’ve done is provide a little bit of amusement for me, compounded by ranting about missing airliners in a link to voting to leave the EU.

Oh, and no, remainers are at no point whatsoever ■■■■■■ off with “your” democracy being rigged, you are ■■■■■■ off because you didn’t get the result, that simple. Your use of the phrase “our democracy” speaks volumes more than the pointless spoonfed content of your post.
Please keep posting though, it’s funny if nothing else. Also I can’t wait to see what you come up with next, was it Saudi hits squads at each polling station telling people to vote leave,maybe 4 Russians were at the counting centre fence and hacked the computers sending the results in…
Or maybe more people used their democratic right to vote leave than those that freely voted to stay and you, and others simply can’t take it. So now you can only resort to utterly pointless rants like the one above using whatever brainwashing media source you can.
Funny how much of an expert you and other remainers suddenly become, all sorts of issues,accusations and “facts” that not one of you had perceived or used as an influence when you voted remain, the Irish border being a prime example.

For the record, I think twitter is a disgusting cesspit, occupied in equal measures by cowards, liars, bullies and sociopaths…

I’m off to re-read the foreword to the governments own treasury report written and given by George Osbourne in his 2016 masterpiece about the goeverment telling us all what will happen in immediate aftermath of a leave vote.
I’m sure Kloss and Gas Gas are aware of it as they are clearly gifted experts on the issue, (assets.publishing.service.gov.u … eu_web.pdf …page 7 for those who fancy it ) maybe we can all then look back at the immediate recession, 800,000 jobs losses we all suffered…oh, hang on…lies by remain…no I don’t believe it!!
I wait with baited breath on the edge of my seat for the cutting intellectual fact laden response, or another lame attempt to vent the remain spleen under a poorly disguised topic subject :unamused:

Democracy is brilliant, until you lose.

does “black propaganda” work? Does it just embrace mud slinging and or relentless repetition of lies, inventions and half truths?

hkloss1:
I’m wondering what outcome would have been if not for leave campaign false promisses and lies, thatbhave surfaced after the referendum.

Russian trolls sent thousands of pro-Leave messages on day of Brexit referendum, Twitter data reveals

…and brexiters are surprised that remainers are ■■■■■■ off at our democracy being rigged.

I doubt an aledged Russian activity had much effect on the result, I think most people had made up thier mind leave or remain long before the vote.

The people you should lay the blame at for losing are those running the Remain campaign, who were so out of touch they didn’t understand that many in the country no longer trusted mainstream politicians, the global financial system and preaching celebrities, so what did they do to try and convince these people that EU membership was good for them?

They wheeled out a selection of global politicians (apparently there are no issues of outside interference when it’s a US president is telling the British people how they should vote :confused: ) global financial experts and out of touch multi millionaire celebrities, to tell the people how bad it would be,

Yes they actually thought the very same people who’ve been telling us for decades how good it will be if we just let them get on with things without to much scrutiny. :open_mouth:

Then they seem amazed that they lost, you couldn’t make it up. :laughing:

As someone who doesn’t even have twitter I’d like to know how these alleged influencers influenced me…

I find it grossly offensive that because I voted to leave I’m so thick that I’d be influenced by the opinions of someone I don’t know on the internet.

I truly hope for a shortage of drivers. I want decent working people, to earn a decent wage without having to live at work. I want young UK nationals to have the ability to earn a decent wage rather than EU imports dragging things down. I also hope for a shortage of nurses… I want young British kids to have a chance. We have far too many on the dole to ‘need’ imported labour.

I’m also less than convinced that societies have mixed well. Go to any big city - they are segregated into where people are originally from. It’s not people blending and enhancing our society. It’s an invasion.

There have been some curious headlines of late; Donald Tusk has said that a Canada +++ deal has been on the table since day one whilst May says it hasn’t, even though both the EU’s Canada style deal and May’s Chequers deal hive off Northern Ireland to the EU by keeping them in both the Customs Union and the Single Market.

The President of the EU Commission and the Prime Minister of Ireland have both already guaranteed no hard border even with no deal. Juncker and Varadkar have given unambiguous guarantees that they won’t put a hard border, under any circumstances, between the Irish Republic and NI – including no deal. The fact that Ireland has guaranteed no hard border in the case of no deal means that they clearly have no intention of constructing a hard border in the absence of the EU’s backstop – this is abundantly clear from the Taoiseach’s stated position as made to the Irish Parliament.

“… we are not drawing up any plans for a border between Northern Ireland and Ireland full stop. Because there isn’t going to be one and I have made very clear to my counterpart in the UK and also to the other EU Prime Ministers that under no circumstances will there be a border full stop.”

If the backstop is genuinely about concern for Ireland, not about trying to force the UK into a certain position, why is Ireland’s own commitment not sufficient? And why, therefore, is it being reported on RTE that Theresa May has agreed to a permanent backstop for NI and that any backstop cannot be temporary.

The UK government is saying the EU have agreed to an extension of the transition period whilst the EU are saying it is TM’s proposal. Either way it doesn’t help. It is simply a very expensive and unpopular way of drawing out the same problems for longer. Even the People’s Vote campaign calculates that the true cost of a delayed Brexit will be £182.5bn by 2025 - mostly because of the hit to economic growth. The cost of one extra year of transition is £8.2bn - cash handed straight to the EU without any say in decisions.

There are rumours that Ministers have been considering the possibility of a mitigated no-deal instead: hand over some cash in exchange for basic legal agreements on aviation, passports, haulage etc. and then negotiate sensible future arrangements outside of the Article 50 process. Given the current state of the negotiations, and the appaling way they have been conducted, this is starting to look more and more appealing even from a No Deal leaver like myself.

If there is one upside of the negotiation fiasco it is the ability to see the political class and senior civil service in all their glory. From whichever part of the political spectrum they come from they have shown themselves to be the self-serving, arrogant, parasites they have always been. The sad part of this is that the Brexiteers are worse than the Remainiac’s. At least them lot stand up for their convictions and do something about it. Brexiteer MP’s have shown themselves to be all talk and no action and as the saying goes actions speak louder than words.

eagerbeaver:

Beetlejuice:

Optimum:
Most posts on TNUK seem to favour Brexit.
Most of the drivers to whom I speak claim to have voted remain and favour staying in.
Just saying.

You must only have limited friends then ?
No disrespect but what a load of bullderdash :laughing:

The whole bloody thread is ■■■■■■■■ mate. THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. NEW DRIVERS DONT WALK STRAIGHT INTO CE POSITIONS…BECAUSE THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. DVLA SAY THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF QUALIFIED DRIVERS SO THEREFORE, THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE.

Ffs :unamused: There is a shortage of decent firms, conditions and pay. But there is…no…driver…shortage.

Spot on .

beachcomber:
The company I’m with is looking for a Cat C driver but finding it difficult getting one.

I’ve been looking to buy a used sports car (must have at least 300 bhp and below 80k miles, no cat C, cat D or similar) but I’m can’t find anything on autotrader. I tried increasing the price from £1500 to £2000, still nothing. Therefor I can confidently conclude that there is clearly, beyond any doubt, a SHORTAGE OF SECOND HAND SPORTS CARS in the UK!!! The government should sponsor me by topping up my £2000 budget to however much a sports car that meets my requirements costs - it’s only fair. I’ll make my own LTD if I have to so I can present myself as “Business in distress”

hkloss1:

An army of Russian trolls sent thousands of messages with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU on the day of Britain’s referendum on membership of the EU, according to new data released by Twitter.
Who defines what a “Russian linked account” or “Russian troll” actually is? - We’ve only got their banter and say-so for any of this. I don’t believe a word of it, because I’m often accused of being in Putin’s pocket in the wider world, despite having not even been to Russia, never voted “Left” in my life, let alone “Communist”, and based entirely on “I don’t agree with the powers that be”. Well f–k 'em. I want MY country back. It’s clearly not theirs any longer, bunch of negative witch-hunting traitors such casual accusers are… The REAL “Trolls” of course.

On 23 June 2016, the day of the Brexit vote, Russia mobilised an army of trolls, which at one stage included 3,800 accounts. The fake accounts Tweeted out 1,102 posts with the hashtag #ReasonsToLeaveEU.
Alternatively, every single detail given to us ^^^^ - “can be made up out of thin air”, and indeed probably was on reflection.

The Russian-linked accounts Tweeted out the phrase “Brexit” more than 4,400 times during its period of activity, although mostly after the referendum had taken place.
Seems a very exact count there… If you look at something like “how many times has this page been read” - it will be out-of-date the moment you post it! :unamused:

The data from Twitter showed Russian and Iranian internet trolls sent more than 10 million Tweets in an effort to spread disinformation and discord in the West, including a day-long blitz on the day of the Brexit vote.
Accuse “Russia” or “Iran” - and you have the simple “lie logistic” that “no one is going to bother going over there to find out it is all a crock ofs hyte”

Russian “troll factory” the Internet Research Agency and a separate group of Iranian hackers used networks of Twitter accounts to spread divisive information, according to a new database released by the social network.
Really? - Is their English that good that a likely-to-be-held-suspect Iranian is going to be listened to intently by… Anyone remotely Right of Karl Marx in this country?

Some of the posts came from accounts masquerading as news organisations and journalists. Others came from internet personalities crafted over years by Russian hackers, such as Jenna Abrams, purportedly a Trump supporting American woman. “Remember this day It’s a new start for Britain #Brexit
Article50,” the account Tweeted.
So ‘Russian agents’ must have set this all up before Putin was President, before the Internet, and during the height of the cold war where it would help the then Russia-supporting Labour party, and bring down the Tory Right-wing government of Thatcher, which strangely this often-called “Right Winger” - never voted for?

While there were attempts to influence British politics, the vast majority of the effort was dedicated to the 2016 US election, said Ben Nimmo, a senior researcher at Atlantic Council which analysed the Tweets.

“The leave EU hashtag looked like a targeted opportunity, but it is not like what we saw happen in the US, where there was two years targeting Hillary pre-election,” he said.
More like “Trump Winning in 2016” the same year as Brexit won the referendum - “didn’t sit well with the powers that be” that’s all. To accuse anything remotely “Anti Establishment” as being “Russian” or “Iranian” or “Chinese” therefore - smacks of a contradiction… Do we get on with the rest of the world - or not? How can we be told by Remainers to “Love the EU” one minute, but “Hate those countries we TELL you to hate” the next? Who rules■■?

Twitter previously said it had only found 49 Russian IRA accounts that had tried to influence the Brexit vote, although it subsequently banned many more. The accounts also share linked, news stories to real and misleading websites, gifs and videos. The Russians in bed with the IRA? - Dammit - That’s another keyboard ruined with my spat-out cornflakes and milk!

The government said that there was no evidence Russian attempts had succeeded in influencing the referendum result.
Just leave that single word in there, that assumes the LIE is already “undisputed truth” already. There wasn’t even an attempt - in reality. :unamused:

Jeremy Wright, the Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, said: "We are working on a range of measures to improve the online environment and build audience resilience to disinformation, including from hostile states.” In practice - no one trusts anyone these days - without up-front proof. That is actually a GOOD side effect to come of all this. Our powers that be - are the LAST ones we expect to hear from these days, “if we want the Truth”. Just look at Salisbury recently… How many people bought 100% into the narrative given out by our own government on “what really happened”?

Iran also made an effort to influence British politics, launching attacks on former UKIP leader Nigel Farage and former Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, while mostly praising Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. Twitter revealed posts from 770 Iranian accounts that had engaged in attempts at disinformation. Iranians probably have never heard of Farage, so for “Iran made an effort” - I’m thinking it is more like “Yet another Proxy for that international man of effrontery - Geroge Soros”…,…

“At last, a leading #UK Politician willing to stand up to the apartheid state of Israel and its murdering racist leader,” said one account. “This isn’t anti semitism, it’s anti #Apartheid.”
Apartheid is South African. It has nothing to do with Israel, nor Anti Semitism. What’s really being attacked here is a majority government of the RIGHT. Nothing more. If Israel had a majority government of the LEFT - then we’d have Palestinians showering us, actually SENT here by that would-be Leftie Israeli government, in a similar fashion to the way Hard Left Turkish President Recep Erdrogan continues to funnel people from his country over to Blighty as we speak…

While some accounts Tweeted in broken English, others were surprisingly sophisticated. One Iranian account even Tweeted a rhyming Limerick criticising the UKIP leader.
Iglis person like me - act like Russian Dog when want. A Russian or any other foreign national - would find it a lot harder to “pretend to be a Brit” with all the use of vernacular that goes with it. :smiling_imp:

Twitter released the information showing the full extent of the disinformation campaign. Twitter said: “It is clear that information operations and co-ordinated inauthentic behaviour will not cease. These types of tactics have been around for far longer than Twitter has existed — they will adapt and change as the geopolitical terrain evolves worldwide and as new technologies emerge.”

The internet trolls also targeted Russian people in a bid to swing them on domestic issues. On the shooting down of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH17 by Russian-backed separatists, the troll factory went into overdrive. The day after the event, a coordinated campaign of 57,000 Tweets went out in an effort to shift blame for the attacks to the Ukrainian government, with many sharing hashtags including #provocationbykiev, #kievshotdowntheboeing and #kievtellthetruth appeared in a single day. Russia got accused of that, on the basis they would not be able to prove it wasn’t them. “Motive” wasn’t even considered. On the basis of “Motive” it is far more likely that Kiev operatives behind enemy lines in East Ukraine - shot down MH17 be it by SAM or Air-to-Air - knowing full well that Russia or at least the Russian=backed East Ukrainians - would be blamed for it. Once again, the casual lie “Russians shot down MH17” - is now taken to be the “version of history accepted as accurate”. Just an official, logged, and now mainstream lie in reality.

The Russian accounts used tools to amplify their attacks. One fake Tweet about claims of voting fraud was re-tweeted 25,000 times. The trolls used tools to automated their attacks more than 290,000 times.
Funny how all these hacking attacks - have failed to strip one single UK citizen’s bank account as of yet, don’t ya think?

While the attacks on the UK were limited, Nimmo said “the two operations show that American society was deeply vulnerable” to well-crafted fake accounts, such as those posing as official sources or internet personalities. The vast majority of fake accounts - are there to protect the user’s real identity on the ground. In history gone by - such “account speakers” were known to use “Nom De Plume” aliases, of which yours truly is obviously one, of course - and has been for over 33 years by this point, a defence that prevented my FB account from being deleted about a year ago. My argument went “If Elton Jon doesn’t have to post as Reginald Dwight - then I can’t be stopped from posting as Winseer. I won’t be offering you, nor anyone else on-line my actual ID documents at ANY time.”

…and brexiters are surprised that remainers are ■■■■■■ off at our democracy being rigged. No, Brexiteers are actuallyu surprised that Remainers seem to have believed any and every lie - that supports their narrative as losers over the winner’s narrative - which was we knew damned well what we were voting for. :stuck_out_tongue:
The vote was not much diffrent to the way votes are being rigged in Zimbabwe, Russia and , China.
If you think that is the case, and disapprove - then go over there and do something about it there, before casually accusing them over there of influencing things here - I would politely suggest.
British People, on-the-whole - don’t give a toss about the way people vote in other countries that are not culturally linked to their own. That means we care about say, Australia, or America - but don’t give a toss about Zimbabwe, China, Russia or Bongobongo land come to that. :imp:

I understand this all stemned from Putin’s comment that “He supported the Brits going for Brexit”. Effectively, it is Putin who is being lamblasted for having an opinion of his own, rather than Brexiteers being lamblasted for “voting that way because Putin told 17.4m people to vote thus”. FFS you really can’t make this up - can you?

redflag.jpg

eagerbeaver:

Beetlejuice:

Optimum:
Most posts on TNUK seem to favour Brexit.
Most of the drivers to whom I speak claim to have voted remain and favour staying in.
Just saying.

You must only have limited friends then ?
No disrespect but what a load of bullderdash :laughing:

The whole bloody thread is ■■■■■■■■ mate. THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. NEW DRIVERS DONT WALK STRAIGHT INTO CE POSITIONS…BECAUSE THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE. DVLA SAY THERE ARE THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF QUALIFIED DRIVERS SO THEREFORE, THERE IS NO DRIVER SHORTAGE.

Ffs :unamused: There is a shortage of decent firms, conditions and pay. But there is…no…driver…shortage.

there is a shortage of decent driver’s.

There’s just as much of a shortage of decent drivers - as there are a shortage of decent politicians. :bulb:

Tomorrow, Saturday 20th is just another day for Londoners. This time it’s a march by the People’s Vote Campaign. Various estimates of turnout suggest it could be a fair sized rally. Even The Guardian, the home of the Remainer, puts a figure of 100,000 on it. The PVC have even launched an advertising campaign on the London Underground ahead of their march. However this is a direct contradiction of the TfL guidelines for advertising on the tube which clearly states that an “advertisement will be unacceptable if it promotes a party political cause or electioneering.”

But with Sadiq Khan, the London Mayor, due to address the march tomorrow, that’s no great surprise. He’s become quite adept at abusing his position to bypass the rules and decisions of London’s governing bodies.

And the march is to be handsomely funded. Firstly by the European Alternatives with a grant of €300,000, and secondly the European Movement with a grant of €350,000. Both of them EU Commission organisations using your money in order to bribe the marchers to support the EU’s continued existence.

Stanley Knife:
Tomorrow, Saturday 20th is just another day for Londoners. This time it’s a march by the People’s Vote Campaign. Various estimates of turnout suggest it could be a fair sized rally. Even The Guardian, the home of the Remainer, puts a figure of 100,000 on it. The PVC have even launched an advertising campaign on the London Underground ahead of their march. However this is a direct contradiction of the TfL guidelines for advertising on the tube which clearly states that an “advertisement will be unacceptable if it promotes a party political cause or electioneering.”

But with Sadiq Khan, the London Mayor, due to address the march tomorrow, that’s no great surprise. He’s become quite adept at abusing his position to bypass the rules and decisions of London’s governing bodies.

And the march is to be handsomely funded. Firstly by the European Alternatives with a grant of €300,000, and secondly the European Movement with a grant of €350,000. Both of them EU Commission organisations using your money in order to bribe the marchers to support the EU’s continued existence.

Sounds good!
I’ve got a free weekend. How much will I get paid to go for a walk in the sunshine tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

hkloss1:

Remainers sleeping in the same bed with Chinese Communists.

euobserver.com/eu-china/130810

If you’re a student you can get a free trip to London to support the march, paid by the NUS from a donation from the EU Commission.

All in the name of democracy you understand. :unamused:

Stanley Knife:
If you’re a student you can get a free trip to London to support the march, paid by the NUS from a donation from the EU Commission.

Excellent.

We wouldn’t want the biggest shouts just to come from the richest, such as big business, would we?
We wouldn’t want just the old establishment to have the ability to be heard would we?

All open and above board.

I doubt a student or any other twenty-year old would give up a Saturday to go on a protest march in return for a free bus ticket. I surely wouldn’t have at that age!

Franglais:

Stanley Knife:

Excellent.

We wouldn’t want the biggest shouts just to come from the richest, such as big business, would we?
We wouldn’t want just the old establishment to have the ability to be heard would we?
All open and above board.

No we wouldn’t, we’d want transparency on who is funding what, that goes for both sides in this debate.

Franglais:
I doubt a student or any other twenty-year old would give up a Saturday to go on a protest march in return for a free bus ticket. I surely wouldn’t have at that age!

As for students not wanting to spend a day out at a protest in London, even if the travel is free, from what I’ve seen the protests seem more like lovely days out, more like a festival than a serious political demonstration. You’re also part of the group, something many young people desperately desire to be, especially if it separates you from those fuddy duddy old people. And after the protest, no doubt there are plenty of clubs and parties to go to.