Breaks

Harry Monk:

Conor:
. Question though is why are you asking? If you’re having to rush the job so much that you feel you have to use this little ruse so you can get somewhere quicker or manage to do a run then you need to question both who you work for and how you do the job.

Well, it increases your options. I will drive from outside the yard to inside the yard first thing most days, open the curtains and then put the tacho on rest for 15 minutes while I sit in the cab reading a book or looking at the laptop while I wait to be loaded. After all, I’m not doing any work so I am on a break.

I never know how the day will pan out but it does mean I only have to take a 30 minute break later on rather than a 45 and this can make all the difference between getting to a delivery point before they go for lunch or not, which might cost me an hour of home time.

I’m not pressurised to do this and never work more than 45 hours a week, it’s my choice but it seems to be the most sensible way to arrange things.

I’m not pressurised either, I do nights and having a 15min break from the start has got me out of the crap with strict delivery times a few times. Same wage in the bank at the end of the week, start and finish the same time, work smarter not harder.

bubsy06:

Harry Monk:

Conor:
I’m not pressurised either, I do nights and having a 15min break from the start has got me out of the crap with strict delivery times a few times. Same wage in the bank at the end of the week, start and finish the same time, work smarter not harder.

Buddy if I was doing nights I would drag it out 15hrs split rest every day not like when your done for the day you get to enjoy yourself your in the middle of nowhere. Plus your a second class security guard too :frowning:

A friend of mine said his day would be 11hr he would go to customer yard and w8 there before timing just for the extra dollar he was a tramper

TruckDriverBen:
Sometimes having a break is difficult if your doing london runs and with some company saying you can’t take break in the yard… as its tiny and they need the other wagon in

Which is why I look at the manifest and plan accordingly happened once I was getting tipped was on 19mins had 15min banked already I was told to get off the bay so I put it in drive ducked into a corner and put it back on break and it continue over

Bad idea doing that now, because although the tacho will be fooled, DVSAs latest software actively looks for these ‘unrecorded’ breaks. Do a v diagram printout and you’ll see the movement is recorded.

The offence isn’t driving within a break, it invalidates your break potentially, so if that means you’ve driven over 4.5 without a break that’s what you’ll get busted for, if you did over 6.5 then that’s £300 for example