Brand new... Advice needed

Jacobaz:

jbaz73:
it’s easy to say you’re going to do a few months on the rigid and for time to get away from you. when I passed my class 2, I wanted to get a bit of experience on the vans before I did class 1. I ended up doing 15 years before I took class 1, but I guess the experience helped, I did pass first time, driving an artic felt natural.

I keep seeing people saying “working on the vans” in the forums…does it mean vans as in transit vans■■? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Nope, It’s me having a dig/motivating the OVERSIZED van drivers to step up, to become benders! :open_mouth:
Sorry, Artic drivers… :blush:

Evil8Beezle:

Jacobaz:

jbaz73:
it’s easy to say you’re going to do a few months on the rigid and for time to get away from you. when I passed my class 2, I wanted to get a bit of experience on the vans before I did class 1. I ended up doing 15 years before I took class 1, but I guess the experience helped, I did pass first time, driving an artic felt natural.

I keep seeing people saying “working on the vans” in the forums…does it mean vans as in transit vans■■? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Nope, It’s me having a dig/motivating the OVERSIZED van drivers to step up, to become benders! :open_mouth:

:slight_smile: ha! I thought it was odd that people would pass there tests and end up in real vans…

Evil8Beezle:

Jacobaz:

jbaz73:

Says the person who up until recently has been driving a scaffolders bin around.

Radar19:
Says the person who up until recently has been driving a scaffolders bin around.

LOL, Yeah for a month mate…
I’ve drive whatever pays well for the effort, I’m happy to chop and change as it’s all good…

But that’s not important, wasn’t your test yesterday■■?

i dont find pallet network boring just unenjoyable. its nonstop and we have a lot of timed deliveries on. if you miss one it can ruin your whole day. i find it extremely stressful. i enjoy the challenge of trying to put an artic in a space 6 inch wider than the truck backwards. but thats about it.

i much prefer general haulage. i wanted to be a hgv driver for the driving. the delivering part is just an inconvinience

I did 3 years on VANS before doing class 1 on 2 VANS tied together a couple of months ago. The experience gave me confidence to crack on. I had never towed a trailer in my life. I now driver a VAN full time, but provide holiday/ sick cover on artics. I found driving an artic much different to wag & drag. Oh, got 1 minor by the way.

Evil8Beezle:
Well for the OP I don’t think there is a general consensus! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Give it time, it’s still in the development stage. :wink: :laughing:

Get your cat c done get a few months under your belt and learn your trade… The people who do their tests back to back and find a job are extremely lucky!

I did 5 years on class 2, got my class one last March and by May I landed a job on 35k on day work… They is no rush to dive straight in! Get some experience driving a bigger vehicle, wider/overhangs then go drive a proper truck… :wink: