Boring post about telematics

nomiS36:
TBH i CBA with it, way too much push this button, pull that lever over ride this and don’t over ride that for my liking. I just wondered if I set the cc speed at its lowest setting whether I could get an A or B for a week or 2 so the other 3 wondered how the f#k I’d managed that [emoji23]
All this nonsense about over riding the ‘auto box’ in this or that situation just makes me more determined going back to proper manual transmissions is the right move, especially for those of us that don’t plod the motorways all day.
Can’t wait to get my cure for transmission Tourettes. F@
#king stupid f@*#ing gearbox [emoji35] will be heard no more in my cab [emoji23]

No?
Try F#### lane control !
B#### AEBS !
S#### buzzers n lights !
Euro6 in the snow !
A gearbox may mean it’s driveable but you’ll still hate everything else.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Juddian:
Interesting that telematics want acceleration whilst in CC.

I wonder how that works out when leaving a slippery roundabout/bend and ‘resume’ gives immediate full throttle acceleration, instead of a gentle applying of throttle a driver would apply whilst feeling for whats happening at the wheels (you know, what drivers have been doing for decades before this twaddle was dreamed up), you know that full throttle is the right way lads :unamused: , what could possibly go wrong :laughing:

Must be summat wrong with the CC on your motor if it’s giving it immediate full throttle every time you press “Resume”…

That’s standard when pressing resume. We are told to accelerate with the pedal until 12th gear (roughly 43mph according to the book) and then use the plus button.

We should not use resume button as it uses excessive fuel (full power) and can trigger a harsh acceleration when empty/light

GasGas:
And a London Bus Co got obsessed with harsh braking…then installed a new telematics system with external cameras, and realised drivers were having to do ‘harsh braking’ all the time because of pedestrians with mobile phones stepping out in font of them.

I’m a wee bit cynical about harsh braking; I’ve long suspected that it’s programmed to kick in automatically after so many hours of doing nothing else wrong, just to prove that you ain’t perfect.

I’ve had days when I know I haven’t done anything to trigger it, and it’s shown up; and others where I’ve overshot a farm entrance, slammed the anchors on (having of course first established, for the benefit of Trucknet CSI that there was nobody behind me :wink: ) and find later that I’ve got away without a blemish.

Franglais:

nomiS36:
TBH i CBA with it, way too much push this button, pull that lever over ride this and don’t over ride that for my liking. I just wondered if I set the cc speed at its lowest setting whether I could get an A or B for a week or 2 so the other 3 wondered how the f#k I’d managed that [emoji23]
All this nonsense about over riding the ‘auto box’ in this or that situation just makes me more determined going back to proper manual transmissions is the right move, especially for those of us that don’t plod the motorways all day.
Can’t wait to get my cure for transmission Tourettes. F@
#king stupid f@*#ing gearbox [emoji35] will be heard no more in my cab [emoji23]

No?
Try F#### lane control !
B#### AEBS !
S#### buzzers n lights !
Euro6 in the snow !
A gearbox may mean it’s driveable but you’ll still hate everything else.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I’m parked in a layby and was just writing about how much I despise all that crap when I felt an almighty bump. Blokes lost it on a bend and gone broadside into my Moffett!

That’ll be your fault for parking the Moffett in a dangerous place then!

Yeah [emoji57]

Sidevalve:

GasGas:
And a London Bus Co got obsessed with harsh braking…then installed a new telematics system with external cameras, and realised drivers were having to do ‘harsh braking’ all the time because of pedestrians with mobile phones stepping out in font of them.

I’m a wee bit cynical about harsh braking; I’ve long suspected that it’s programmed to kick in automatically after so many hours of doing nothing else wrong, just to prove that you ain’t perfect.

I’ve had days when I know I haven’t done anything to trigger it, and it’s shown up; and others where I’ve overshot a farm entrance, slammed the anchors on (having of course first established, for the benefit of Trucknet CSI that there was nobody behind me :wink: ) and find later that I’ve got away without a blemish.

Again - in order to get the desired scores, you must first understand exactly what it is that is being measured (and how they are measuring it). “Harsh braking” in telematics may well not have its ordinary English language meaning. On the system used by my employers, it means deceleration of more than a certain figure per second, sustained over a certain number of seconds (can’t recall the exact figures - got them written down somewhere - but I think the timespan is something like 5 seconds), so a sudden stab on the brakes at low speed, while certainly “harsh” in plain language won’t necessarily register as a “harsh braking incident” under telematics.

I gave up going for the best scores once I had proved to myself that I could routinely get straight A’s across the board (and having also established that on the “leaderboard” drivers with the same scores were ranked alphabetically, so I was never going to get the top spot without changing my name…). Now I just do enough to avoid having to sit on the naughty step…

mike68:
We had a trial vehicle some years back that had the cruise control disabled to see if this conserved fuel, the theory being that the cruise control when used to reach a cruising speed used more fuel.

It is what it says it is a cruise control, when used to reach a desired speed the throttle is fully opened when not used and the driver reaches the desired speed without using full throttle fuel is saved.

Try only using it when cruising and using economy mode (if fitted) economy mode derates the engine power slightly when cruising and revertes back to full power when required hills for example or when the driver presses the accelerator.

Well Mike i tried a little experiment today along the lines of your post.

@ 43.5 tons in 12th with cruise engaged at 53 but the lorry climbing a long long hill @ 50mph, the instant readout is a steady 3.9mpg, thats pretty well average for most 44 tonners i would suggest in top gear pulling hard.

Now i dropped her out of cruise and with the angle of the incline unchanged, and maintaining the same speed 50mph, i could bring the throttle back from full to roughly 2/3rds and still maintain the same rate of climb, and the consumption steady @ 4.5mpg, dropped her in and out of cruise a couple of times on the same long drag, same result every time.
I did this experiment several times today and the result was the same every time.
If i kept my foot hard down, same as cruise does automatically then i suspect the 3.9mpg figure would have been unchanged, but what was interesting was how the rate of climb didn’t change yet the fuel being used dropped a fair amount, that 3.9 to 4.5 difference if duplicated over a day’s running could see a big difference in overall mpg.

This is real life figures, so it makes one wonder with the cost of these telematics systems, plus people employed to monitor such things, have these companies buying into telematics and not being open minded about techniques been hoodwinked?
I’m not suggesting my little experiment is the default to go by, far from it, but if others interested in this might like trying similar tests we might have some interesting comparisons.

I’ve never been one for using cruise for acceleration, and i won’t be altering.

Thanks for posting that Mike, it’s been an eye opener.