Bobtail actros on A1m extracts £100

muckles:

Conor:

mardybum:
Can’t say I’ve worn one in a wagon since I passed my test. If I can see a nasty accident unfolding before my eyes, where I’m going to come off worse than I’d like, I’ll be out of the door. Presumably like the gent on the M1 I went by a couple of months back…

The kind of accident where one would save you would be when you got rear ended by another truck so you’d not see it unfolding before your eyes until your eyes were heading towards the windscreen.

Surely you head towards the windscreen due to the sudden deceleration of the vehicle and you as an unrestrained object continue on your course until you meet some opposing force, in this case the windscreen, so how do you head for the windscreen at great force when the vehicle suddenly accelerates after being hit from behind?

You get forced into your seat, and then due to no belt, bounce forward into the screen/dash/a pillar etc.

This is also why people are told not to sit in broken down vehicles, as after getting hit from behind, you get bounced around the interior of your vehicle.

ramone:
This country is a nanny state. Freedom of choice is long gone.I got caught in Sunderland a few months back by a cop van .I could have paid £100 fine or £36 and watch an online poorly made video that was full of propoganda.They state that they dont want to make money out of you its just for your own good.So why the fine or the £36 to watch a £2.50 video■■? One comment on here al professional driver not wearing his belt… well we are professional when it suits and the rest of the time treat like crap.
The police would be more respected if they concentrated on real crime like drug dealing which is the countrys biggest problem after MPs.

Oh dear, the trouble with freedom of choice is that people have proved time and time again they are not capable of making the correct choices hence we have to have others make decisions for us to keep us safe. A perfect example is drivers that will not wear seatbelts.
I wonder if you had to recover a mutilated body from an accident a few times because the driver was too ignorant to wear a seatbelt if your view would change.
They are not there to make money but to try and keep you safe. If you don’t want a fine or have to watch a video, it’s simple , wear a belt and possibly save yourself from serious injury one day.

Hate that comparison about picking up mangled bodies . If you pick up accident victims it’s usually because you signed up for it unless you think the police , fire , ambulance etc do 8/12 hour shifts playing cards all night .

What did they expect?

Ring the police to report a robbery in progress and you are told they don’t have anyone to send out. Number plate theft from my car was deemed such a “petty offence” (their words) that they wouldn’t even record it.
Yet two expensive officers can patrol the motorways looking for seat belt offenders? Surely it should be a personal choice whether or not to wear one? It won’t hurt anyone else if I go through a windscreen!
The world is going to hell in a handcart! :imp:

Can I just point out that, as someone who genuinely does hold a Seatbelt Exemption Certificate for medical reasons, I’m actually really jealous of those of you who have free choice over the issue and could, if you so wished, choose to keep yourselves as safe as possible.

The idea that, should the worst happen, my potential rescuers will make judgements about me without finding out first whether I can actually wear a seatbelt or not, however, is heartbreaking. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Lucy:
Can I just point out that, as someone who genuinely does hold a Seatbelt Exemption Certificate for medical reasons, I’m actually really jealous of those of you who have free choice over the issue and could, if you so wished, choose to keep yourselves as safe as possible.

The idea that, should the worst happen, my potential rescuers will make judgements about me without finding out first whether I can actually wear a seatbelt or not, however, is heartbreaking. Talk about adding insult to injury!

Lucy, my point was that we DON’T have free choice, but should have!

liam6226:
When I was on the buses we didn’t even have seat belts fitted, even on the buses that were used for the longer routes where you could regularly get up to 60mph

well there’s a can of worm’s to be opened. why aren’t bus’s on your local route’s fitted with seatbelt’s ?

It won’t hurt anyone else if I go through a windscreen!

Oh yes it can, believe me. If you need an explanation I am more than willing.

m.a.n rules:

liam6226:
When I was on the buses we didn’t even have seat belts fitted, even on the buses that were used for the longer routes where you could regularly get up to 60mph

well there’s a can of worm’s to be opened. why aren’t bus’s on your local route’s fitted with seatbelt’s ?

Ha,most buses on local routes in our area do not have seat belts fitted however there are a few that do and guess what very few passengers use them.
It’s a mixture of complacency and ignorance. Education is the key.

joe royal:
Hate that comparison about picking up mangled bodies . If you pick up accident victims it’s usually because you signed up for it unless you think the police , fire , ambulance etc do 8/12 hour shifts playing cards all night .

What did they expect?

It’s got little to do with what they (as workers) expect to have to deal with - that is (as you observe) what they signed up to do, and for which they are paid. The point is that once you’ve had one or two die literally “in your arms,” had to wash a whole load of blood, snot and bits of body off before you sat down for your sandwiches and seen a few come through with truly life-changing injuries it tends to change the focus.

alte hase:

jakethesnake:

ramone:
This country is a nanny state. Freedom of choice is long gone.I got caught in Sunderland a few months back by a cop van .I could have paid £100 fine or £36 and watch an online poorly made video that was full of propoganda.They state that they dont want to make money out of you its just for your own good.So why the fine or the £36 to watch a £2.50 video■■? One comment on here al professional driver not wearing his belt… well we are professional when it suits and the rest of the time treat like crap.
The police would be more respected if they concentrated on real crime like drug dealing which is the countrys biggest problem after MPs.

Oh dear, the trouble with FREEDOM OF CHOICE is that people have proved time and time again they are not capable of making the correct choices hence we have to have others make decisions for us to keep us safe. A perfect example is drivers that will not wear seatbelts.
I wonder if you had to recover a mutilated body from an accident a few times because the driver was too ignorant to wear a seatbelt if your view would change.
They are not there to make money but to try and keep you safe. If you don’t want a fine or have to watch a video, it’s simple , wear a belt and possibly save yourself from serious injury one day.

That the concept of ‘freedom of choice’ is patently lost on you, I dare say it would also be a waste of time to suggest you read a nice little book called ‘On Liberty’, by John Stuart Mill. Although a product of the 1800s -I can assure you that he had far more intelligence than you. Read ‘On liberty’, or get someone to explain it to you; then wind your neck in.

I drove heavy trucks from Jan 1973 [long before the advent of seatbelts] and finished with them in August 2017, without accident or incident. And never did I wear a seatbelt whilst driving a heavy truck. What is it with you seatbelt junkies? Are you afeared that someone as useless as yourself is coming in the opposite direction?

I spent five years [from 16 to 21yrs old] working in an aircraft factory, as a trainee airframe technician. About the world of aircraft I am not ignorant. And to this day I have never fastened a seatbelt whilst taking-off or landing. If you time is up -it’s up. And, like it or not, even a wuss like you [going through life scared of your own shadow] is going to die.

Oh, btw, why have you changed your user-name?

Freedom of choice is far from lost on me but I won’t go into that just now. Just so you know I also drove cars, trucks etc without seatbelts in the early 70’s.
I too survived all my driving career without injury but I am wise enough to realise that I could have quite easily been a statistic like many others in the days before they were compulsory.
If I could be bothered to go on I could explain some the extreme sports I have participated in over the years but it would probably be wasted on you.
Your last statement is idiotic in my eyes and if you think it’s clever and not ignorant not to wear a seatbelt while landing or taking off in a plane you definitely need help.

I have not changed my user name btw.

idrive:
They can class eating or drinking as careless driving which is £100 and 3 points.

…Also, “driving without due care and attention” - that you didn’t notice the solo police tractor pulling alongside… A bit difficult to ■■■■■ I would have thought, even an unmarked or low-profile one.

Police Tractor.jpg

I don’t even reach to re-tune my radio - when I’ve got something coming up alongside me in my mirror. :bulb:

Harry’s T shirt doesn’t work in the UK [emoji23]

I got caught in France with a camera, lovely sunny morning, music playing at about 4.30am

Perfect picture of me and no belt. I didn’t even realise when he stopped me, but it cost €300 and 4 hours delay until the office opened

Winseer:
I don’t even reach to re-tune my radio - when I’ve got something coming up alongside me in my mirror. :bulb:

Seriously ? :open_mouth: :laughing:
Relax man, you’ll be fine.
Just remember to wear this with your hi viz, and then (and only then) …‘‘They can’t get to you’’ :bulb: :bulb:

youtu.be/ycQV62iNSrs
:laughing: :laughing:

jakethesnake:

m.a.n rules:

liam6226:

Ha,most buses on local routes in our area do not have seat belts fitted however there are a few that do and guess what very few passengers use them.
It’s a mixture of complacency and ignorance. Education is the key.

The situation used to be and may still exist whereby if a bus or coach operator had a contract to solely transport children to and from school then the vehicles required the fitment and wearing of seatbelts. However, if the service was advertised as a normal bus service which allowed members of the public to use it as well as the schoolchildren then the rules didn’t apply.

Harry Monk:
Good job the Police haven’t got any knife crime to investigate.

A mate of mine got caught in Manchester a few years back £60 fine now he alway wears it

I hate wearing a seat belt due to fact they cut across my neck & dig in most uncomfortable things even in the car

Years ago now before the seat belt law was in knew couple who live was saved by NOT wearing a seat belt

animal:
A mate of mine got caught in Manchester a few years back £60 fine now he alway wears it

I hate wearing a seat belt due to fact they cut across my neck & dig in most uncomfortable things even in the car

Years ago now before the seat belt law was in knew couple who live was saved by NOT wearing a seat belt

Better to have a little discomfort rather than the horrific injuries of going through a windscreen or worse.
Of course there have been cases where seatbelts have caused injury but they are insignificant compared to the lives and injury that have been saved by them.

jakethesnake:

yorkshire terrier:
Must admit I don’t wear mine,
I know I should I know it’s law but I hate it and if I get caught then Iv only my self to blame,

Or if you go through the windscreen (or worse) you will only have yourself to blame. I just don’t get people like you one bit.

I understand what your saying,
In my car it’s on before I even start the engine but in my truck I can’t stand it and I know it sounds silly but I don’t feel comfortable and safe wearing it,