Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hello Gentlemen,
Now that’s a blast from the past…Roy Fox had a large fleet of these 12 ton TKs back in the mid to late 70s…you could not travel any lenth of the M4 with out seeing one these TKs…they were mainly used on the fibreglass insulation contract Fox had back then…all the type in this photo were Vanplan bodies with split tail boards for bay loading and false floor over the wel
What’s this book gentlemen looks interesting ?
l.

image.jpeg-28.jpg

Hi mark,it’s called transport in Gwent Steve give it to me that pic is in it ,how’s things your end you busy

Ray Smyth:
A Gilbert Norris of Bootle, Merseyside Bedford removal van. Picture from Bootle Times Forum.

Re. Gilbert Norris, a late 7os Bedford Tk (nmp) may be of interest

Great photo billybob, she looked quite tidy in that photo .

Hi lads tbh I have never seen a scruffy Bedford or ford furniture wagon they were always looked after

John ,we had a petrol 7.5t brand new but dad had a lot of problems with it ,had it 6 months and traded it in for a new Commer -karrier which was one of the fastest lorryies we ever had (off the clock was no problem) it did have a Eaton two speed axle though !!!,I also heard it had a coach diff :sunglasses:

Hi Steve ,Jones only used Bedford and fords we had one Albion in the fleet we never had any breakdowns as they were serviced regularly we did buy a 7.5 ton ford one day we broke down in London on Hammersmith roundabout not many people pleased with us we had a fuel blockage

I’m looking through books came across these in port talbot a moss transport Bedford parked up

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

smallcoal:
Hi mark,it’s called transport in Gwent Steve give it to me that pic is in it ,how’s things your end you busy

Hi John…all good mate…on the CPC course tommorow for the day…then Tuesday on the Spanish truck…start tipping the jobs he as brought back from Spain…he’s on holiday this week so they got me covering it…Liverpool…Halifax…Hull…then reload 1600ft for Spain on Thursday in Cambridge.
That book looks a good read mate !

billybob:

Ray Smyth:
A Gilbert Norris of Bootle, Merseyside Bedford removal van. Picture from Bootle Times Forum.

Re. Gilbert Norris, a late 7os Bedford Tk (nmp) may be of interest

Nice pic Billybob…big old Luton for a 7.5 ton no power steering…I had one similar to this one when you fully loaded her the steering was like lead and my arm were like Garth :smiley:

She’s an Abrahams Manchester very popular cheap body back in the day.

Scan0006.jpg

JAKEY:
My son "HENRY " posing on the back of "the hoffs " motor whilst unloading .

Hi Steve …he looks happy mate…they usually get moody when they have to pack the van…some of the youngsters with us avoid it like the black death.

How’s the European work going ?

60209342_291678415108238_4022711101517987840_n.jpg

Hi mark,them CRC courses are boring as hell ,that Bedford is where the civic. Centre in port talbot is my mother bought a lot of port talbot past and present cracking pics in there glad your mam OK

Hello Mark , Nice to hear from you, our young lads will pack the vans but we prefer the driver too :smiley: ,but when needed they will just get on.

Only job I got coming back from France is in June ,I got to find a load going out though !!!

I got problems with the new truck !!!

JAKEY:
Hello Mark , Nice to hear from you, our young lads will pack the vans but we prefer the driver too :smiley: ,but when needed they will just get on.

Only job I got coming back from France is in June ,I got to find a load going out though !!!

Whats wrong with the new truck JAKEY ?

Nice old Guy.

removal guy1.PNG

Hi Steve,what’s up with the new one mate been let down again

Yes I have .

DEANB:

JAKEY:

Whats wrong with the new truck JAKEY ?

Nice old Guy.

We ran three Guy Otters like that. Two 1964 B reg 7 1 1965 C reg. They were built like battleships. and totally reliable apart from the cab which was fibreglass but built onto a metal frame that rusted and collapsed. There was an interesting article on one of these threads that explained the design flaw that caused the problem.
I am not mechanically minded but remember one afternoon when everyone else apart from office staff were out and I was instructed that one of the Guys that was over the pit needed a new clutch plate, so I had to take out every bolt I could see round the gearbox area to prepare for taking out the gearbox There were hundreds.
The big problem was the 4 cylinder Gardiner engine was underpowered when the speed limit was raised and Motorways became more common.They would only do 45 mph which when designed was all that was needed, but time goes on and everything passed you.
We stripped each cab down & rebuilt to sort out the cab problem but the crunch came latish one night about 7 PM a Bedford SB returning home had run out of fuel on Park Head bank (between Spennymoor & Bishop Auckland) and dad told me to find a rope and the easiest van to get out was one of the Guys. Although I had driven all of them my father had never been in the cab of one before, so off we go getting in front of the Bedford with the rope attached starting up the Guy it just wouldn’t move, so back & get another Bedford SB that was in and it pulled it home like nothing was behind. At that point Dad decided the Guys must go so we got 3 Bedford KE’s with 330 cu in engines & transferred the bodies onto them & the Guys were sold for scrap, which was sad but no good for the 1970s. However they got 24 mpg & the Bedfords that replaced them got 12 MPG. Such a shame they hadn’t put Gardner’s 5 cylinder engine in

Hello DEANB , I HAVE TO PM YOU .

Hi Steve,night out in Exeter last night back out tomorrow hinkley point,Hayle and penryn ,any joy of the supplier about the new truck

Hello John , the tgl is making its way to st brewers Cornwall tomorrow ,leaving here at 5am ,yes its going to be re sprayed (full strip back) as far as I am aware now.