Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hi Steve,looking the biz now mate ,at home tucked up in bed no merc hotel tonight :laughing: :laughing: ,parked up in Falmouth last night ,got pulled yesterday hazardous check at Tiverton weighbridge all ok,glad they didn’t weigh me 800 kilos over my gross weight,I weighed the truck tonight empty tare 10.920 on a 26tonner can only carry 15 yesterday 15,810 :blush:

John ,you naughty naughty boy ,go straight to the headmaster now ! you were lucky ,DVSA are getting hot these days.

JAKEY:
John ,you naughty naughty boy ,go straight to the headmaster now ! you were lucky ,DVSA are getting hot these days.

I know even though it was the police doing the adr check ,vosa were on the weighbridge as well but wasn’t asked to go on bridge Thank god

JAKEY:

“JAKEY” Out of intrest what body builder are you using ?

Cant knock the “mighty” Bedford, 26 years old when this article was written in 2007 ! :laughing:

I wonder how much longer it worked after the article ? When using a truck on local work you dont need a new one.
Talk about a money making truck.

Click on pages twice to read.

Good evening DEANB,

I Remember that clipping of that Mighty Bedford ,what a great motor that was ,THANK YOU for showing it again .

DEANB ,this time SBR of Preston ,I been watching the wagons they been building two years since a sad and awful time with out TGM ,I honestly would not use the other well know body make again and we been using them for 20 years or so ,but SBR so far have been spot on ,this little 12t MAN TGL will be my brothers last wagon before retirement so its got to be good .

DEANB:
Cant knock the “mighty” Bedford, 26 years old when this article was written in 2007 ! :laughing:

I wonder how much longer it worked after the article ? When using a truck on local work you dont need a new one.

Hi Dean,
Lovely article and a lovely looking integral…if my memory serves me right I remember the BAR Removals and Storage magazine doing an article on this truck when it was new.
I Read with great interest how the Bedford engine which I would have though would have been a 500… had three short motors fitted to this point.
Tho old Bedford Engines were never the best especially pulling a trailer also…they were not to bad if they were governed to 55mph. …but that model would of been capable back then of 65/70mph when newish…conrod was the common thing to come loose and smash through the side of the engine case…hence the short motor.
Lovely article Dean thanks for posting.

Regards Mark.

JAKEY:
Good evening DEANB,

I Remember that clipping of that Mighty Bedford ,what a great motor that was ,THANK YOU for showing it again .

DEANB ,this time SBR of Preston ,I been watching the wagons they been building two years since a sad and awful time with out TGM ,I honestly would not use the other well know body make again and we been using them for 20 years or so ,but SBR so far have been spot on ,this little 12t MAN TGL will be my brothers last wagon before retirement so its got to be good .

Hi Steve,
Truck looking good …can’t wait to see the finished product mate.
Would be great to see her being sign written before hitting the road to :laughing:

Steve forgot to mention you dont see that these days doing a job on hourly rate :smiley:
How things have changed.

marktaff:

DEANB:

Hi Dean,
Lovely article and a lovely looking integral…if my memory serves me right I remember the BAR Removals and Storage magazine doing an article on this truck when it was new.
I Read with great interest how the Bedford engine which I would have though would have been a 500… had three short motors fitted to this point.
Tho old Bedford Engines were never the best especially pulling a trailer also…they were not to bad if they were governed to 55mph. …but that model would of been capable back then of 65/70mph when newish…conrod was the common thing to come loose and smash through the side of the engine case…hence the short motor.
Lovely article Dean thanks for posting.

Regards Mark.

Hi Mark, Re the Bedford 500. Must admit we never ran a draw bar, and I would never have used a Bedford if we had, but we did have about 5 Bedford TM tractor units with the 500 and compared with rigids they were not succesful. However at that time the other new Tractor units we had bought as comparison were AEC Mercury (Excellent) Leyland comet (Excellent) Dodge with Perkins 6354 dreadful we bought two and within the first year had about 2 new replacement engines in each Leyland Lynx We had three bought new over about 2 months and I could have written a book with the problems.
The Perkins 6.354 were not bad in the rigid form but as tractor units absolutely dreadful so after the Leyland Lynx & Dodge dreadful experiences the Bedfords were not as bad. It seems pulling rather than carrying the weight didn’t suit some engines.
Strangly we had 1 TK tractor unit with 330 engine, which was wonderful in rigids and We nearly cried seeing it because it was dreadfully underpowered. Strangley however Ford D800 which we had quite a few did quite well

D series.jpg

Both trailers & tractors new on photos

Top Trailer trailer & body built by our own company Coachskill Ltd (We built quite a few of these mostly for ourselves but some for other operators)
Bottom Trailer Taskers Andover Body by Marsdens Warrington taken at Longshaw Street Warrington. The little D800 seems totally dwarfed with this 40 ft trailer even though its single axle but they performed pretty well even with tandem axle 40 ft like the top trailer.

Mark and John , bit of a update on the TGL.

Hi Steve,looking good mate work is progressing tidy on it bet you can’t wait to get it on the road ,how’s the work been it up and down with us at the moment

JAKEY:
Mark and John , bit of a update on the TGL.

Hi Steve,
That’s looking nice…that will look the business with you colours and name on her…be great to see her complete…that body looks lovely and strong Steve…I do like GRP much stronger will take a bit of wear.

John Work is up and down but we are doing more surveys now then a couple of weeks ago , a few to Wales ,few to the Wirral area ,Plymouth area too .

Mark the wagons coming on well ,should be in the paint shop next week :open_mouth: ,We are now one truck down as the Daf has gone :confused: ,my brother is wandering around the yard with nothing to do on quite days ,where he would be cleaning and polishing his truck.

Various removal companies.

Click on page twice.