Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Mark m,yes its very ■■■■ indeed . :laughing: :blush:

Nice to have a change from removals

wow so nice , what is the load ?

Two machines that tests exhausts systems.

like you said makes a change from the removals , nice truck .

Trip to Ireland

Ekeri boy:
Trip to Ireland

Hi Ekeri boy…I reconise that truck…Burryport…Kidwelly !

IMG_1456.jpg

A few more.
Oily

Removals kenjonbro 7719054468_6360d41896_kjb o.jpg

Removals didbygraham 5867644730_74fc19fc19_gr o.jpg

Removals didbygraham 3411989884_66af9eb597_gr o.jpg

Removals didbygraham 202744127_8e185ed77a_gr o.jpg

Removals cr WordShore cc by nc nd 2.0 2225923346_c526007d36_ws o.jpg

Removals cr Vauxford cc by sa 4.0 2007_DAF_FA_CF_65.220_6.0 VF .jpg

marktaff:

Ekeri boy:
Trip to Ireland

Hi mark taff, yes we are from Pembrey. :smiley:

thanks oily .

Ekeri boy:

marktaff:

Ekeri boy:
Trip to Ireland

Hi…I reconised the truck straight away…that’s a realy versatile truck…you keep her looking nice.
I’m with Britannia Robbins…how i reconised you.

IMG_1456.jpg

marktaff:

Ekeri boy:

marktaff:

Ekeri boy:
Trip to Ireland

Hi…I reconised the truck straight away…that’s a realy versatile truck…you keep her looking nice.
I’m with Britannia Robbins…how i reconised you.

Hi ekeri boy I have passed you a couple of times I used to work for w Jones port talbot which are no more I drive for Clarke transport Bridgend are you based near the race track John

An article about Charles Wood from Oxford.

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks DEANB, for the article of Charles Wood and sons , the two guys in the picture I know very well indeed .

There trucks do not under take international routes any more and they do not look as good as that DAF by a long way ,shame as the livery always looked good and the motors were spotless back then , great article though ,thanks again .

JAKEY:
Thanks DEANB, for the article of Charles Wood and sons , the two guys in the picture I know very well indeed .

There trucks do not under take international routes any more and they do not look as good as that DAF by a long way ,shame as the livery always looked good and the motors were spotless back then , great article though ,thanks again .

I think a guy called Ginger from Skelmersdale drove for Charles Wood. He ended up as a tanker driver for Norman Lewis and Bertschi in Switzerland

I think a few memories might be stirred by this conversation I had today with Christopher Smith a former removal contractor from Hartlepool

Christopher Smith Carl I could read your stories every day,our paths have Ben extremely alike,we had a driver evidently came to us from school and he like your man could pack a van unbelievably,my father put me with him when I first went on removals and I hated it,he would start with three piece suite on the Luton and pack all round making his way to the rear of the van,then would decide that wasn’t right do so much off and repack I used to get totally miffed we worked stupid hours because of his packing,years later I took him up to Holt’s in Newcastle,they as you will probably remember had a model van that old Lilly Willcox used to invite companies up to challenge them to pack this van,well this chap I took did it to perfection and it was alleys a talking point between us.i think those dedicated drivers and Packers have long gone but they were clever.

Carl Williams When I think even a small 2 Bedroomed house had double and single wardrobes in each room Often two 3 piece suites one in front room for special occasions. The pre-war Bendix washing machines weighed a ton & the old bed settees were made of cement or so you would think and if you didn’t watch out they’d snap your fingers inside. Many houses had pianos & we didn’t have the boxes like they do today as we put the wardrobes in putting any mirrors inside & filled them with soft cushions etc until they were full & the other wardrobes were filled with books & everything we could squeeze in.90% would have a heart attach if they had to go back then. And one thing certain after doing two local removals in a day you were certainly knackered when you went home. None of our lot had the energy to go to the gym Infact many hardly had time to sleep getting in 9 or 10 at night & out again at 7 the next morning

Christopher Smith That’s brilliant Carl and just so true,and as you remember between removals you used to be given the odd three piece of washer or wardrobe as a little bonus job to fill the day in.just before I retired I was delivering to a street terrace house in Hartlepool with s new double bed the passage was from the front door straight down and then upstairs,the rooms went off the passage to the left she was a elderly lady and when she opened the door she apologized about a piano being half way down the passage I said I bet she had difficulty playing it were it was,she said the company that moved her in six months earlier told her that the piano would not go into either of her rooms because the passage wasn’t wide enough to turn it,but if she got the bottom two stairs removed they might be able to get it round,I said that with our piano trolly and the piano on end it would go round,she looked at me in total disbelief,I got the trolly and myself and my sidesman tipped it on end and straight round into the room I have never seen such astonishment on a person’s face,I said if you had got a decent company it would have been done in the first place,to which she said she couldn’t afford s proper company as it would be to dear,I asked without being cheeky how much she had paid and she said it was a fixed price of seventy five pounds and she had moved from about half a mile away and it had taken one hour and fourth five minutes,to which I told her if she had ran us it would have been sixty pounds,her face was a total study, people can be silly at times.

Carl Williams I forgot to mention the carpets. No doubt you’ll remember that no one left the carpets as they do today, then the coal. When I started we said we would only take three bags & it was a brave day when we refused & said no coal as the dust not only damaged their furniture but also made our blankets filthy, but in the fifties & sixties they were much more careful with their money than they are today & didn’t & often couldn’t afford to leave coal. Best of all was my dad was moving a house & have you seen on Antiques Road Show these commodes that look like a piece of furniture. He picked one up and they hadn’t emptied it & the contents went all over him.

Carl Williams:
I think a few memories might be stirred by this conversation I had today with Christopher Smith a former removal contractor from Hartlepool

Christopher Smith Carl I could read your stories every day,our paths have Ben extremely alike,we had a driver evidently came to us from school and he like your man could pack a van unbelievably,my father put me with him when I first went on removals and I hated it,he would start with three piece suite on the Luton and pack all round making his way to the rear of the van,then would decide that wasn’t right do so much off and repack I used to get totally miffed we worked stupid hours because of his packing,years later I took him up to Holt’s in Newcastle,they as you will probably remember had a model van that old Lilly Willcox used to invite companies up to challenge them to pack this van,well this chap I took did it to perfection and it was alleys a talking point between us.i think those dedicated drivers and Packers have long gone but they were clever.

Carl Williams When I think even a small 2 Bedroomed house had double and single wardrobes in each room Often two 3 piece suites one in front room for special occasions. The pre-war Bendix washing machines weighed a ton & the old bed settees were made of cement or so you would think and if you didn’t watch out they’d snap your fingers inside. Many houses had pianos & we didn’t have the boxes like they do today as we put the wardrobes in putting any mirrors inside & filled them with soft cushions etc until they were full & the other wardrobes were filled with books & everything we could squeeze in.90% would have a heart attach if they had to go back then. And one thing certain after doing two local removals in a day you were certainly knackered when you went home. None of our lot had the energy to go to the gym Infact many hardly had time to sleep getting in 9 or 10 at night & out again at 7 the next morning

Christopher Smith That’s brilliant Carl and just so true,and as you remember between removals you used to be given the odd three piece of washer or wardrobe as a little bonus job to fill the day in.just before I retired I was delivering to a street terrace house in Hartlepool with s new double bed the passage was from the front door straight down and then upstairs,the rooms went off the passage to the left she was a elderly lady and when she opened the door she apologized about a piano being half way down the passage I said I bet she had difficulty playing it were it was,she said the company that moved her in six months earlier told her that the piano would not go into either of her rooms because the passage wasn’t wide enough to turn it,but if she got the bottom two stairs removed they might be able to get it round,I said that with our piano trolly and the piano on end it would go round,she looked at me in total disbelief,I got the trolly and myself and my sidesman tipped it on end and straight round into the room I have never seen such astonishment on a person’s face,I said if you had got a decent company it would have been done in the first place,to which she said she couldn’t afford s proper company as it would be to dear,I asked without being cheeky how much she had paid and she said it was a fixed price of seventy five pounds and she had moved from about half a mile away and it had taken one hour and fourth five minutes,to which I told her if she had ran us it would have been sixty pounds,her face was a total study, people can be silly at times.

Hi Carl,Deffo a trip down memory lane ,we used to put small stuff on Luton then boxes tea chests and build up and around then upstairs then downstairs ,then the kitchen last cookers full of grease banging your knuckles on the door frame with a fridge or washing machine I started when I was in school skiving off then was hobbling full time ,we used to do work for dhss people on the dole marktaff will tell you horrible jobs a lot of memory’s mate cheers John
Carl Williams I forgot to mention the carpets. No doubt you’ll remember that no one left the carpets as they do today, then the coal. When I started we said we would only take three bags & it was a brave day when we refused & said no coal as the dust not only damaged their furniture but also made our blankets filthy, but in the fifties & sixties they were much more careful with their money than they are today & didn’t & often couldn’t afford to leave coal. Best of all was my dad was moving a house & have you seen on Antiques Road Show these commodes that look like a piece of furniture. He picked one up and they hadn’t emptied it & the contents went all over him.

DEANB:
An article about Charles Wood from Oxford.

Click on pages twice to read.

Dean wants again thanks for this interesting article. …how the housing market as been so up and down over the last few decade’s

Hi Jakey,
Reading the Charles Wood article that Dean kindly posted…in the early 1980s we used a shipping company called Robson Worldwide they were based in Bermondsey London…they were part of Robsons Transport who were the main contractor at that time for Holsten Pils…the guy who ran the shipping side was a guy called Mick ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Robsons finished the shipping side of there buisness Mick ■■■■■■■ went to work with Charles Wood he was a nice guy…did you know him Jakey !

Hello Mark, hope you had a easy 900ft on off today as you were off when the 3kft job was on :laughing: :laughing: , that name does not ring a bell at all ,as I know all the local companies work force then and now ,but I will ask my old packer who does work two days a week for me (he is 78 now) but he worked full time for them up to two years ago (only left them because of men bikering) , he comes in and packs only but he will carry china cartons but not keen on book cartons (I don’t blame him) , he trying to get us to do Europe but we happy plodding national although we have got a international opertors licence .

I do price jobs to France but I am too expensive . :open_mouth: