Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

I was reading the Bedford thread just now and I remember the first time I drove a TK (it was 1979 and the boss’ horsebox in Somerset). A year or so later, I got myself a job with a mob in NW10 and because I’d had previous experience moving antiques, I was despatched one day in early 1981 on my first ever removal - I was the driver and there was another bod with me. The thing is that I was driving MYJ 475J - it looked like a TK, but it was (I think) a de-rated MK plated at 7.5t. It had 8-stud wheels and a right-hand cable-operated handbrake that (was supposed to) operate a drum brake on the prop-shaft, and no discernible relationship between the Armstrong power steering and the front wheels.

I drove several TKs and TLs (and many other wagons) afterwards, but I’ve never quite forgotten the old dunger I drove on my first removal.

So what was the first removals wagon you drove? Be honest - we’ve all had to do it :grimacing:

ParkRoyal2100:
I was reading the Bedford thread just now and I remember the first time I drove a TK (it was 1979 and the boss’ horsebox in Somerset). A year or so later, I got myself a job with a mob in NW10 and because I’d had previous experience moving antiques, I was despatched one day in early 1981 on my first ever removal - I was the driver and there was another bod with me. The thing is that I was driving MYJ 475J - it looked like a TK, but it was (I think) a de-rated MK plated at 7.5t. It had 8-stud wheels and a right-hand cable-operated handbrake that (was supposed to) operate a drum brake on the prop-shaft, and no discernible relationship between the Armstrong power steering and the front wheels.

I drove several TKs and TLs (and many other wagons) afterwards, but I’ve never quite forgotten the old dunger I drove on my first removal.

So what was the first removals wagon you drove? Be honest - we’ve all had to do it :grimacing:

Bedford TK with a Luton! The only true removals I’ve done as an employee (as opposed to moving for myself or friends) were done with artics and garment trailers - one was in Holland and another to Spain.

Hi ParkRoyal2100, passed my test 1952 in a Bedford identical to this.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

70 years behind the wheel then! :sunglasses:

ERF-NGC-European:

oiltreader:
Oily

70 years behind the wheel then! :sunglasses:

Yes Ro, come July.
Oily

oiltreader:
Oily

Blimey, must’ve been a real test.

The one in the pic - would that be a Bedford luton in Luton made by Bedford in Luton, Bedfordshire?

ParkRoyal2100:

oiltreader:
Oily

The one in the pic - would that be a Bedford luton in Luton made by Bedford in Luton, Bedfordshire?

I was apprenticed to a house furnisher giving me the rare opportunity in them days to obtain a driving licence at a young age. The Bedford was of 1937 vintage and was a good customer of a local garage :laughing: . It was a great learning experience for me on when loading removals of how to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.
Oily

oiltreader:

ParkRoyal2100:

oiltreader:
Oily

I was apprenticed to a house furnisher giving me the rare opportunity in them days to obtain a driving licence at a young age. The Bedford was of 1937 vintage and was a good customer of a local garage :laughing: . It was a great learning experience for me on when loading removals of how to squeeze a quart into a pint pot.
Oily

“House furnishers” - crumbs, that rings a bell. Lots of department stores used to offer that sort of service (Bentalls I think was one). I’m struggling to think of names but I’m sure others will chime in. My mum had a taste for G-Plan furniture (if anyone remembers that name) - genuine pieces are worth a bob or two these days.

ParkRoyal2100:

it was the way they rocked after you pulled the handbrake on , and when the gearbox packed up , we could load a mobile home on , get back to wellingborough , push the mobile home back a bit , remove offending gearbox, replace with new gearbox and carry on same day .
tony

oiltreader:

ParkRoyal2100:

oiltreader:
Oily

Oily

Our 1937 2 tonner. Not one of our originals but purchased by me in 1977. We ran 5 during the war and 1 30cwt I was born in 1947 and the last was replaced and sold in 1952. I can just about remember travelling in one of those when I was a baby, but never had the pleasure of driving one till I bought that one. Din’t pass my test until 1964.

p1139113725-4.jpg

Night out anybody

47EC1E70-EFE7-40BD-97EA-3253F86C8167.jpeg

robthedog:
Night out anybody

Plenty of space in the cab…

tonyj105:

ParkRoyal2100:

it was the way they rocked after you pulled the handbrake on tony

Many a new driver (that’ll be me then :unamused: ) would yank the handbrake on, let off the footbrake and … yikes! :open_mouth:

McIntosh Bedford with Vanplan body from 1978.Some of those Bedford’s with 2 speed axle would crack on.

Cracking sleeper conversion.

removals mcintosh bedford 78.PNG

Thank you Dean ,cracking looking Bedford, we had two speed axles on our Commer’s and they didn’t hang about.

W Jones had them Bedford,s that was driven by the late johnny brimfield

image.jpeg

hi not a removals man myself but chris of Draycott removals of Poole has died, stroke related i believe,

We bought our first Bedford SB 1952 from Hills Petrol Hills from about 1960 started selling Bedford Marsden SBs immediate delivery as advertised weekly in Commercial Motor

Hills Garages.png

DEANB:
McIntosh Bedford with Vanplan body from 1978.Some of those Bedford’s with 2 speed axle would crack on.

This must have been one of, if not the, last vehicles bought by McIntosh as they went out of business in the late 70’s/early 80’s. The last custodian of what was at one time probably the premier removal company in Glasgow came to work with us in Pickfords in 1981. A great salesman who could achieve what seemed like really high prices for each job. Only problem was that he was a lousy estimator :unamused: :unamused:

Dennis Javelin:

DEANB:

This must have been one of, if not the, last vehicles bought by McIntosh as they went out of business in the late 70’s/early 80’s. The last custodian of what was at one time probably the premier removal company in Glasgow came to work with us in Pickfords in 1981. A great salesman who could achieve what seemed like really high prices for each job. Only problem was that he was a lousy estimator :unamused: :unamused:

Thanks for the info Dennis. :wink: “lousy estimator” :laughing: