Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

img991.jpg

Frosty63:

Suedehead:
Just noticed its got a copyright on it, ho hum.

Looks like an old ex Dawson rental truck

Dont know about that but they did run a mixed fleet. nmp
Looks like a BRS fleet no on the trailer, ex UBM glaseal contract ?

Nice set up that Suedehead, and yes looks like ex BRS rental , at Oxford they were TTAK .

Were or are you a member of BAR, formerly NAFRW ?
If so, what was/are the benefits , if any

Hello Suede Head , No never been a member of BAR , was thinking of joining once but dad was anti BAR and over ruled me . :open_mouth:

Hi,

Does anyone have any photos of a removal company from Lytham-St.Annes called Stubbs Removers. The company are still going and I have tried to contact them in the past to no avail. I am looking for any photos from 60 and 70, when they ran TKs, both lutons and pantechnicans. I know there are have been a number of firms called Stubbs, they were purple and white, with Marsden Vanplan bodies. Some were also liveried as Hodgson and Sharples of Blackburn .

T.B

An advert of Smith’s removals Hartlepool

I first remember seeing their vans when I was about 8 or 9 years old, but never met them. Even when I was Chairman of Northern section of BAR. However Facebook has some good consequences and I am now a good friend of Christopher Smith who like me, now at 73 (Ouch I don’t like mentioning that) is about my age. However life was hard on him with his father dying when he was in his late teens and had to take over and run their business at such a young age.

Smiths Removals Hartlepool.jpg

Carl Williams:
An advert of Smith’s removals Hartlepool

I first remember seeing their vans when I was about 8 or 9 years old, but never met them. Even when I was Chairman of Northern section of BAR. However Facebook has some good consequences and I am now a good friend of Christopher Smith who like me, now at 73 (Ouch I don’t like mentioning that) is about my age. However life was hard on him with his father dying when he was in his late teens and had to take over and run their business at such a young age.

A bit better photo

Hi this is what I can find on stubb removal

A6148529-C0BF-48EE-92A6-CF5702871B7E.jpeg

20B54A52-6E25-49C5-9440-4BA91477A2D0.jpeg

smallcoal:
Hi this is what I can find on stubb removal

Thats great just what I was looking for cheers

T.B

Hi t.b here’s another for you

D10DF646-12FD-4FE0-B1A3-9E350A41CE97.jpeg

JAKEY:
Hello Suede Head , No never been a member of BAR , was thinking of joining once but dad was anti BAR and over ruled me . :open_mouth:

Sounds like you dodged a bullitt and avoided some unsavoury hand shakes there.
Good on you.

smallcoal:
Hi t.b here’s another for you

Hope they didnt have to pose too long for the photo.
Great pic and love the piano wheels.

Taken this morning. I’m sure this old girl has more than earned its keep

Thank you for the photo of the Old Volvo Dennis.

Dennis Javelin:
Taken this morning. I’m sure this old girl has more than earned its keep

Ex Pickfords…this old girl was part of the 1996 batch of Volvo’s Pickfords introduced with the new Bevan bodies …still earning its keep at 24 years old.2

Aztec Removals.JPG.jpg

trucker.blackpool:
Hi,

Does anyone have any photos of a removal company from Lytham-St.Annes called Stubbs Removers. The company are still going and I have tried to contact them in the past to no avail. I am looking for any photos from 60 and 70, when they ran TKs, both lutons and pantechnicans. I know there are have been a number of firms called Stubbs, they were purple and white, with Marsden Vanplan bodies. Some were also liveried as Hodgson and Sharples of Blackburn .

T.B

I would say there are not a lot if any of Stubbs TK pics about…if my memory serves me right they ran a number of integrals…these pics provided so far are out of old BAR magizine features…this one is the Marsden Vanplan advert in the BAR magizine in 1989.

Suedehead:

In my experience over the last 40 years being a member of the BAR certainly does have its benefits…it as always been recognized by big companies who intend to move there staff around the country or across the world…there are many organisations within the UK who insist when obtaining quotes from removal companies that they are BAR member companies…because the members come under the British Standard mark in Household removals and so on…and the benefits to members when wanting labour to assist other members when required when unloading in other parts of the country assisting them with loading unloading and the professional experienced staff required for certain needs…with a lot more benefits checking access issues out in area’s to where they may be delivering in other parts of the UK …BAR certainly as its benefits.

marktaff:

Suedehead:

In my experience over the last 40 years being a member of the BAR certainly does have its benefits…it as always been recognized by big companies who intend to move there staff around the country or across the world…there are many organisations within the UK who insist when obtaining quotes from removal companies that they are BAR member companies…because the members come under the British Standard mark in Household removals and so on…and the benefits to members when wanting labour to assist other members when required when unloading in other parts of the country assisting them with loading unloading and the professional experienced staff required for certain needs…with a lot more benefits checking access issues out in area’s to where they may be delivering in other parts of the UK …BAR certainly as its benefits.

Hi mark,nice to see you back mate,how’s tricks ,how’s the family hope all ok :smiley:

smallcoal:

marktaff:

Suedehead:

Hi mark,nice to see you back mate,how’s tricks ,how’s the family hope all ok :smiley:

Hi John…yes all good mate thanks for asking…

How are you mate how’s work with you…more housing on another haulage site i see…Walters/Rosser’s Pontlliw !

marktaff:

Suedehead:

I agree entirely Mark
When we joined in the late 50s & well beyond they had very high standards you had to achieve before they would accept your membership. Also by attending the monthly meetings not only did you get the chance to meet, make friends with other members but they had usually very interesting speakers from suppliers to the trade and others of great interest.
Finally as well as providing porters we had several members who we were pleased we could help with such things as breakdowns where we could assist transhipping loads and carrying out repairs in our workshops to get them on there way again
One thing you did know was where ever you were in the UK you had friends nearby who would bend over backwards to offer assistance because they knew it might be their turn to require it next.
Have a good Christmas and enjoy because if Chris Whitty & Mat Hancock get their way we’ll be back in a much harder lockdown in January

Best wishes
Carl