Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

JAKEY:

Morning Steve ,looking nice mate you busy today I on week off much deserved I need it to recharge my batteries :laughing:

Hello John,

Yes still got plenty on ,if you want a couple of days to recharge your MEMORY !!! then let me know :laughing: :wink:

Serious Luton on the Albion from 1960.

removal 1960.PNG

DEANB:

27ft 6in long Max length when this was built
7ft 6in wide Max width
So it exaggerates slightly the height but still looks about 14ft high.

Carl Williams:

DEANB:

27ft 6in long Max length when this was built
7ft 6in wide Max width
So it exaggerates slightly the height but still looks about 14ft high.

Thanks for the info Carl. :wink:

Bedford 1966.

removals 1966 prem.PNG

John and Mark ,how about this ,just been pulled out of there yard and sold !!

Now these were a good old Oxford firm ,taken over by Cantays and then Robinsons took them over ,check out there history

JAKEY:
John and Mark ,how about this ,just been pulled out of there yard and sold !!

Hi Steve,
Hope all is well with yourself !
How’s your lad Henry getting on with is grandads kango ?

That a lovely find there that Leyland Terrier. …its in pretty good condition by the looks of it…been standing outside to for sometime also…looks like either a Marsden or Vanplan bodied

When I first started driving 7.5 when I was 18 that was the first one I drove 1000cuft Terrier it was a realy fast machine it had the 6 cylinder engine no limiters then. …she was a flyer still remember the ref RNY 13M…wish I had a pic of her.

Some lovely vans you have posted here to Steve…can’t remeber the Oxford company here with the ERF’S. …bit before my time…what’s the story of this company ?

Cantay now they were a very big concern at one time weren’t they…what happened to them…they ran a lot of integrals like the one you have posted here.

screen-shot-2017-02-17-at_med-14.jpeg.jpg

DEANB:
Nice to see you boys back posting on here ! :wink:

Heres an old one.

Walkers body builders.

Click on pages twice.

Hi Dean,
Some cracking articles again…how things have changed…some real gems here…keep them coming.
Thanks for posting.f

smallcoal:
Hi mark,found this pic taken in station rd port talbot Pickford on one side w Jones on the other

Hi John,
That’s a cracking find that pic here…rivals meeting in Station Road…Pickfords on Jones’s patch…how dare they…great pic John…how’s things mate !

image.jpeg-4.jpg

Carl Williams:

Lawrence Dunbar:

oiltreader:
Gathered another one or two thanks to fellow flickrites.
Oily

Hi Oily, Thats a great shot of Luckings Albion a 1948 Tynemouth reg, Thanks for posting all these classic photos, Regards Larry.

Hi Larry,
I wonder if it had been new to Alfred Bell. They ran a lot of Albion removal vans as this article from Commercial Motor illustrates

How Alfred Bell dealt with removals in 1932. I don’t think we’ll ever see the like of that again!

INTERESTING FEATURES OF TRUNK-SERVICE OPERATION. I N addition to its normal removing business, which extends throughout the British Isles, Alfred Bell (Newcastle), Ltd., runs a trunk service, both night and day, between Newcastle and London. As the majority of vehicles employed on this long-distance work is limited to 20 m.p.h., the company has opened a depot and drivers’ hostel at Tuxford, so that changes of drivers can be made in order to comply with the Road Traffic Acts. There is accommodation at this depot for some 80 men.

At the London terminus at 24, Friern Park, North Finchley, the company has extensive covered garage accommodation and a hostel, where’ it can sleep and feed approximately 40 drivers. Vdhicles of a number of other concerns are also serviced at this terminus.

The company’s fleet is made up of Albion, Garner and Bedford vehicles, although the latest vehicle to be added to the fleet is a Thornycroft, this having been purchased mainly because of its large carrying capacity. (1,500. cubic fit.). During the past year the trunk-service vehicles covered Over 800,000 miles.

The vehicles are serviced from the head depository at Higham Place, Newcastle, which has accommodation for 3,000 loads, and every vehicle, upon completion of a journey from Newcastle to London and back, passes through the, hands of the mechanics, who check over the reports handed in by the drivers. As each vehicle is in the hands of five drivers after leaving Neweaet e until its return from London and every driver is instructed to report on his log sheet any defeats or trouble that may arise, it is passible for the’ mechanicsto maintain the fleet in first-class condition and practically to ensure an absence of breakdowns.

If it was its a pity it hadn’t been preserved in Alfred Bells red & Green livery, one of the best on the road during the 1950s

Carl

Hi Carl,
Hope you are keeping well !
This is a great article story you have posted once again about Alfred Bell.
The milage those trucks were clocking up doing 20mph from Newcastle to London and back…five driver turn around…i cant amagine doing what those guys did back then out in all weather…no comfort of a warm cab…that was some set up Alfred Bell had back then…1500cuft van then must have been something to boast about back then.
I don’t remember Alfred Bell doing furniture removals bit before my time I’m afraid…I just remember them mainly carrying Raleigh Bikes with the BMC Laird and Leyland Boxer box vans.
Great story once again Carl thanks for posting.

Alfred Bell.jpg

Good morning Mark,

Henry is doing well driving his grandads Motor ,he loves it and it gets a lot of attention!! He does a lot of box collections and being doing the student drop offs also he drive to job help a crew load then going and meet another crew to help them load or load ,its all about keeping contact via there phones though .

Its going in for the bumpers to be repainted on Wednesday due to paint damage whilst in the warehouse etc.

He has asked that NO one else drives it though !!!

Mark , They were a big firm in Oxford with some great work and contacts , i know at least two of there old staff who were porters who are still alive, sold out many years ago though .