Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Hi all me loaded in knorr Bremse Bristol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice tidy load john ,did some one else load that ? LOL ha ha . :open_mouth: :laughing:

JAKEY:
Nice tidy load john ,did some one else load that ? LOL ha ha . :open_mouth: :laughing:

now now no need for that lol 61 cases came out yesterday loaded whatt i can then artic came in for rest hows your week been mate we bit busy now

busy now mate ,"the hoff " is down to Paignton Wednesday night ,tip Thursday and return ,you about that way ?

JAKEY:
busy now mate ,"the hoff " is down to Paignton Wednesday night ,tip Thursday and return ,you about that way ?

Swindon,Bristol,Newport,Swansea pump over on Monday ,off Tuesday and Wednesday,don’t know what on rest of week

Out of the office today ,internal moving in Christ Church college ,one of our regular colleges .

Hi Steve ,you showing of now :smiley: got 2 days off :laughing: :laughing: Lie in tomorrow I was in Swindon 7.30 am left yard 5.50 ,then to Bristol,Newport finish Swansea then back to yard

Busy this week as expected ,trade assistance in Devon as we were too busy to send a porter .

JAKEY, Thats a cracking brochure. I have that one it may be easier to read. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

removal boalloy1.jpg

Hi Steve I was out last night parked in bude, had hinkley,crediton,bude,Plymouth,Exeter,coming up from Plymouth Gregory’s had an ibc come through the curtain not strapped. 1000 litres of paint all over the road they shut the a38 heading. to Plymouth

DEANB:
JAKEY, Thats a cracking brochure. I have that one it may be easier to read. :wink:

Click on pages twice.

Hello John, that was a nice run !where did you park ?

Thanks Dean , that’s better mate ! :laughing:

I have a quote in Cambridge this week ,managed to mussle up two jobs to go that way ,so the run is paying "just "

After 20 min typing it lost my reply but here goes again

The Seddon Pennine passenger chassis was the base of this vehicle and the first were built by Pennine coachbuilders which was Seddon’s coachbuilding company alongside vehicle building in Oldham.
The Bedford SB passenger chassis had been the most popular for pantechnicons since the 50s until along came Plating & Testing. The passenger chassis had two advantages its length (Not needing chassis extensions to get decent size) and softness of ride (designed for people) which was better for furniture & fragile loads that the normal goods vehicle. They were plated at 8.5 ton GVW (4 ton carrying) & even with all modifications which we did on all of ours including new sets (Front & rear) springs max was 9.5 ton. (5 ton carrying) and the front axle could easily be overloaded.
Seddon saw a gap in the market & designed the Seddon Pennine at 13 ton GVW available often immediate delivery at your local Seddon dealer.They were very popular and exceeded expected demands. At the same time Seddon sales were doing well & they needed extra space & so did a deal with Boalloy and transferred building to Congelton under licence to Seddon. Taking the fibreglass mould. One of the features added was the plastic skirt panels available as parts at Seddon dealers which could easily replaced for minor accidents.
Reading these I was impressed & dad said he would be interested if he could buy chassis and put into Marsden for GRP bodies. The first of the batch we bought in the photo. Gerry Crowe also persuaded us to let Vanplan build one as well.
Tom Liddle of Stanley Co.Durham had sold out his Removal business to P & O & soon got sick & bought Lewins removals He bought 3 of these First built by Pennine & two by Boalloy. Within a year he decided to change to artics & sold us his rigids (Bedfords & these 3 Seddons one in photo)
The biggest problem with Seddon was the Perkins engine which had much poorer fuel consumption than our Bedfords, achieved much less mileage life was much more expensive to replace than our Bedford short motors & stole a lot of profit. We asked if we could order with Gardiner engines which although would have been dearer to buy would on our useage have got twice fuel consumption & been totally reliable. Sadly they said the chassis was not heavy enough.
At the same time Foden were going through a bad spell with poor sales and they had a designer come to meet me & ask what would we want I said about 13 ton GVW Gardiner engine geared to cruise at 70 mph. Sadly again they couldn’t produce at such light weight.
The problem with the Seddons again was the price. We could buy 3 Bedford-Marsdens to 2 Seddon Marsdens. The two Boalloy & one Pennine bodywork was very poor compared with Marsden & Vanplan. The cheap & nasty ridged aluminium bodies gave us half lifespan.

Lewins Seddon.jpg

Lewins Seddon 2.jpg

Seddon VUP.jpg

JAKEY:
Hello John, that was a nice run !where did you park ?

Thanks Dean , that’s better mate ! :laughing:

I have a quote in Cambridge this week ,managed to mussle up two jobs to go that way ,so the run is paying "just "

Hi Steve,just above bude in a big lay by overlooking bude didn’t park up till 8.15 pm long day cooked food cleaned cab went to bed back on road 6.30 finished 5pm back in yard

This is the view from where I park