Best synchro gearbox

Splitting evenly John ,you don’t get that with a eaton 2 speed .

Dan Punchard:

It’s a long time ago Dan, but even with 20 tons of timber on (Dennis will be handing me my 10 gallon hat and spurs in a minute) I always enjoyed taking it through every half gear.

John

Dan Punchard:

4th low,5th low,4th high,5th high ! same pattern with the D1000 as the Mastiff Dan.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dan Punchard:

4th low,5th low,4th high,5th high ! same pattern with the D1000 as the Mastiff Dan.Cheers Dennis.

Ok, forgive me, I’d forgotten that :blush: :blush: :blush:

That’s it ,on a overdrive box 4 th (direct ) high same as 5 th ( overdrive ) low except for the fact that 4th high gives more torque to the back wheels ,5 th low is really not worth using .

Take a “butchers” at the top left of the shot John ? Our workshop in Milnthorpe probably around 73’ we used to do quite a bit of repairs on the Bowie motors at that time.We had a couple of problems with the second mastiff I bought from Hudsons,the first day out it was jumping out of 4th gear on down hills and it took a week or two to get a new box fitted but only after various threats !! The second was fuel starvation particularly coming out of a roundabout,it was just like you had pulled the stopper! didn’t matter how slow you went round,we sorted that ourselves by incorporating an inverted “jam jar” filter over the pump to give it a head of diesel,it worked and the motor gave no more trouble.On the other hand the older 26 tonner was as sweet as a nut and never caused a minutes trouble ! Cheers Dennis.

Dan Punchard:
That’s it ,on a overdrive box 4 th (direct ) high same as 5 th ( overdrive ) low except for the fact that 4th high gives more torque to the back wheels ,5 th low is really not worth using .

Is this from memory Dan, or have you had more recent experience?

John

Well both ,I’ve not mot’d it for about 4/5 years now .

John West:

Dan Punchard:

John

The 5 speed box used in the D1000 was a Turner (Eaton) and it was the same box in the Mastiff from memory.Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

John West:

Dan Punchard:

John

The 5 speed box used in the D1000 was a Turner (Eaton) and it was the same box in the Mastiff from memory.Cheers Dennis.

Brilliant workshop picture Dennis. I see you maintained Broomby’s motors as well! Every pound’s a prisoner eh!

John

My Dennis has a Dennis bros own constant mesh box ,when I bought it was a 5 speed direct top even in high axle 48 mph was about it ,so I bought 5 speed over drive made a massive difference ,the only difference being 4th & 5th the other way round ,and I made a bush for the spigot shaft to take up the difference in bearing size .trouble is now it too high geared to set off loaded on these steep hills round here !

Dan Punchard:
My Dennis has a Dennis bros own constant mesh box ,when I bought it was a 5 speed direct top even in high axle 48 mph was about it ,so I bought 5 speed over drive made a massive difference ,the only difference being 4th & 5th the other way round ,and I made a bush for the spigot shaft to take up the difference in bearing size .trouble is now it too high geared to set off loaded on these steep hills round here !

There’s an old saying Dan “I only wanted to drain the swamp but I’ve ended up with crocodiles snapping at my arse” couldn’t you have gone down the “crown wheel and pinion” route mate ? Cheers Dennis.

Not really ,they’re few and far between nowadays these eaton 2 speed axles ,I think mine is the 1600 series ,the only ones I’ve seen for sale have been the big buggers , my ratios are about 3 ish n 5 ish to 1 I think ,owt left in the Bewick stock ,cheers .edit might be 5 n 6 to 1 ,hmm can’t remember now !!

Dan Punchard:
Not really ,they’re few and far between nowadays these eaton 2 speed axles ,I think mine is the 1600 series ,the only ones I’ve seen for sale have been the big buggers , my ratios are about 3 ish n 5 ish to 1 I think ,owt left in the Bewick stock ,cheers .edit might be 5 n 6 to 1 ,hmm can’t remember now !!

Sounds more like 6 to 7 ish Dan,my first motor,a Trader,had an Eaton axle which could have been a 1600 series,not just sure.The D1000 was probably the 1800 series and the 28ton Mastiff was the 1900 series same as some of our first Atkys had fitted.Cheers Dennis.

I seam to think we put a 2000 series from a mk2 Atki draw bar 4 wheeler under a B series unit ,it was the axle with a channel across the back which the shockers bolted to ? And a cable operated ?