BEST 'ERGO' ?

Carryfast:

windrush:
So, as Boris originally posted before he lost the will to live, what was the best application for the Ergomatic cab? :confused:

Pete.

More like least bad so either V8 Mandator or Marathon with ■■■■■■■ 335 probably.

AEC Mercury 16-tons gvw rigid. 10 tons payload, same as a modern day 18-tonner. The Mercury was powerful and fast for its time, reliable and gave excellent productivity. The best ever UK produced maximum weight rigid.

My favourite was an AEC Marshall tipper, previous to that we had BMC ff’s, Thames traders and Bedford tk’s admittedly the marshall was a 6 legger and carried a lot more but it was in a different class comfort and reliability wise.

I was thinking more along the lines of the original Ergomatic cab, AEC, ALBION or LEYLAND and I don’t think that the Marathon resembles the ORIGINAL design much myself. Disregarding the build quality and ‘tin worm’ problems it must have been a revelation for a driver to get one of these to work with when he had probably been used to the LAD cab or a Foden FG or Plastic Pig, Atky etc etc for example? There were virtually no ‘Foreign’ lorries in the UK in the early 1960’s so it is pointless going on about what we COULD have had, more a question of what was readily available back then to owner’s. I only drove one, a Marshall, around a quarry (briefly) but was suprised at how comfy it was compared to Foden’s S39/36 and S50 half cab offerings that replaced the AEC’s on our fleet, the controls were light and visibility was excellent so I would imagine that most driver’s would have been pretty chuffed with the design at that period in time?

Pete.

windrush:
I was thinking more along the lines of the original Ergomatic cab, AEC, ALBION or LEYLAND and I don’t think that the Marathon resembles the ORIGINAL design much myself. Disregarding the build quality and ‘tin worm’ problems it must have been a revelation for a driver to get one of these to work with when he had probably been used to the LAD cab or a Foden FG or Plastic Pig, Atky etc etc for example? There were virtually no ‘Foreign’ lorries in the UK in the early 1960’s so it is pointless going on about what we COULD have had, more a question of what was readily available back then to owner’s. I only drove one, a Marshall, around a quarry (briefly) but was suprised at how comfy it was compared to Foden’s S39/36 and S50 half cab offerings that replaced the AEC’s on our fleet, the controls were light and visibility was excellent so I would imagine that most driver’s would have been pretty chuffed with the design at that period in time?

Pete.

Hi Pete,
I drove Bedford TK’S a Bedford KM for 8 months also a Dodge K series and previous to that a LAD cabbed Dodge and a Seddon 13/4.
Compared to all of those the Ergo cabbed Leyland Comet that I drove was luxury in 1970/71. I drove a D series Ford six wheeler which was OK and a Commer Maxiload and a BMC FH 140. Whilst my favourite was the Commer, the Ergo cabbed Comet was a nice lorry and well up with anything on the road at that time.
Cheers Dave.

gingerfold:

Carryfast:
Firstly comparing the figures of the successes of the Hurricane v the Spit during the Battle of Britain aren’t based on a like with like comparison because the Spitfire was involved with more fighter v fighter action than the Hurricane.Saying that the Hurricane was a good bomber killer is just the same as saying that it was no good as a dogfighter which is what matters in a battle for air superiority.The fact is if the Spitfires hadn’t have been taking on the fighters then the Hurricane would have had no chance.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013fly8 {/quote]

I don’t disagree with you, like I said, you use your equipment to its strengths. But with something like air fighting, which not one of us on here has any first hand experience of, the skills, experience, and ability of the pilots from each air force must surely be a significant factor and not something we can quantify. In the first few weeks of the B of B there were far more Hurricanes involved than Spitfires and many recorded victories by Hurricanes in dog fights. Pilot skills, abilty, and experience maybe rather than aeroplane inferiority or superiority?

Don’t be too sure about no-one on the thread having fighter pilot experience “GF”,why “CF” as flown in every major conflict starting with Korea then Vietnam as well as the Arab Israeli conflicts,without him air superiority could never have been achieved by the Yanks or the Israeli’s,and who do you think landed that crippled BA airliner at LHR last week ? He skydived onto the Airliner and took control for the landing !! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

AEC Mercury 16-tons gvw rigid. 10 tons payload, same as a modern day 18-tonner. The Mercury was powerful and fast for its time, reliable and gave excellent productivity. The best ever UK produced maximum weight rigid.
[/quote]
When I worked for a main dealer many customers operated Mercurys & Lynx 16Tonners also 26ton units they were very well regarded reliable vehicles,but in some ways it was a different world as “own account” operators in our customer base ie retail etc tended not to run max weight motors

Incidentally flight engineers always reckoned that the RR Merlin engines built under licence by Packard had longer working lives than RR produced Merlins.

My late father who was in the RAF always said that the Packard Merlin was superior in terms of ignition system,carburettor & supercharger he worked on them in N.Africa so there was a difference in operating conditions to Britain,BTW the P51(Mustang) only became a good aircraft when the Merlin was fitted

splitshift:
Saviem, re T45 in the US when I get home(to main computor) will post some information on a proposed deal with an American entrepreneur to import them suitably modified for the US market

Around 1986 Scammell became involved with one Lt-Colonel Jim Carey ex US military & his company WVI of West Virgina he claimed to have contacts in the US government & a consortium of dealers who could provide back-up,I was told at least 6 T45 cabbed S26 6x4 tractor units (■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ were modified to comply with US DoT regulations they would be known as “Mountaineers” if any were delivered I don’t know, have been unable to find out anymore details,over to you guys!

[zb]
anorak:
Deaf ears.

Deaf brain :wink:

[ZB]
Anorak:
Blimey! The man’s just posted an entire book! Great stuff, Valkyrie, keep it going. My somewhat less comprehensive reply will use some of your sub-headings:

Aerodynamics.
Those 1930s aero vehicles were not much more than styling fancies. How many of them had seen the inside of a wind tunnel? Did any of them boast measured drag coefficients? At least their designers were aware of the basic principles- when applied to lorry cabs, these suggest a raked ‘screen, generously-radiussed front corners, smooth panels with an absence of styling features and a shed wide enough to deflect air around the load. Which of the post-war lorries best accomodated these ideals? Maybe it was the Mk1 Atkinson! That lorry must have had the Ergo licked on aerodynamics. What was Michelotti thinking, putting a recessed windscreen on a vehicle expected to cruise at 60mph?

Best Ergomatic Cabbed-Lorry Model? PART 25.Page 39.TRUCKNETUK.
(X2)

(NOTE:I will get to the Ergomatic Cab in this post,but first I must answer [ZB]Anorak in regard
to the fascinating subject of aerodynamic and streamlined motor vehicles and other vehicles :smiley: )

AERODYNAMIC MOTOR VEHICLES.
STREAMLINED MOTOR VEHICLES.
AERODYNAMIC MOTOR CARS.
STREAMLINED MOTOR CARS.
AERODYNAMIC MOTOR COACHES AND BUSES.
STREAMLINED MOTOR COACHES AND BUSES.
AERODYNAMIC LORRIES AND MOTOR TRUCKS
STREAMLINED LORRIES AND MOTOR TRUCKS…
and so on :smiley:

[ZB]Anorak wrote:-

Aerodynamics.
Those 1930s aero vehicles were not much more than styling fancies. How many of them had seen the
inside of a wind tunnel? Did any of them boast measured drag coefficients?

VALKYRIE replies…with some fascinating history of Aerodynamic Motor Vehicles :slight_smile: :-

AERODYNAMICS AND STREAMLINING - A FANTASTIC AND SPECTACULAR REALM :exclamation: :smiley:

Motor Vehicles,Railway Locomotives,Aeroplanes,etc,etc,have always fascinated me :smiley:

First of all,I have always been entranced with aerodynamic motor vehicles :smiley: ,they are a fascinating synthesis of aeroplane aerodynamics and technology and motor vehicle technology and styling -they take you to another plane! :exclamation: :smiley: ,a wonderful wonderland and realm which is fantastic and spectacular :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …so there is no wonder why I presently have a photograph of a magnificent Pierce Arrow Silver Arrow V12 Aerodynamic Motorcar as my Avatar Photograph for my TRUCKNETUK Posts :slight_smile: - “The car of 1940 made in 1933” said Pierce Arrow’s advertisements (Please QV my POST 21,page 32,for a full size photograph of this motorcar) :smiley:

People like Austrian engineer,Edmund Rumpler,Hungarian engineer,Paul Jaray,and Dutch
engineer,John Joop “Jan” Tjaarda Van Sterkenburg,who were all aerodynamicists,were all very
serious about designing wind-cheating,efficent and dynamic streamlined and aerodynamic
motorcars and motor vehicles that worked - AND THEY DID WORK! :exclamation: :smiley: Some of these aerodynamic
motor vehicles were actually designed with the aid of WIND TUNNELS (I would say that most
motor vehicles,in regard to their aerodynamics,are designed with wind tunnels AND computers
these days) :smiley:

The following WIKIPEDIA quote indicates just how serious and good the above aerodynamicists
were:"The Rumpler had a Cd-value of only 0.28. The measuring, which was run at a Volkswagen
windtunnel in 1979, astonished engineers;[1] Volkswagen wouldn’t beat the value until 1988 with
the Passat.[citation needed] The Fiat Balilla of the period, by contrast, was 0.60.[2]."UNQUOTE.

RUMPLER Tropfenwagen Aerodynamic Motorcar,designed and manufactured by Dr.Edmund Rumpler in 1921
-1925.A Rumpler in the wind tunnel:-

From the How Stuff Works website:-

auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-effi … amics2.htm
"How Aerodynamics Work

by Patrick E. George.

The Coefficient of Drag

­ ­We’ve just learned that the coefficient of drag (Cd) is a figure that measures the force of
air resistance on an object, such as a car. Now, imagine the force of air pushing against the car
as it moves down the road. At 70 miles per hour (112.7 kilometers per hour), there’s four times
more force working against the car than at 35 miles per hour (56.3 kilometers per hour) [source:
Elliott-Sink].
The aerodynamic abilities of a car are measured using the vehicle’s coefficient of drag.
Essentially, the lower the Cd, the more aerodynamic a car is, and the easier it can move through
the wall of air pushing against it.

Let’s look at a few Cd numbers. Remember the boxy old Volvo cars of the 1970s and '80s? An old
Volvo 960 sedan achieves a Cd of .36. The newer Volvos are much more sleek and curvy, and an S80
sedan achieves a Cd of .28 [source: Elliott-Sink]. This proves something that you may have been
able to guess already – smoother, more streamlined shapes are more aerodynamic than boxy ones.

Why is that exactly? :question:
Let’s look at the most aerodynamic thing in nature – a teardrop. The teardrop is smooth and
round on all sides and tapers off at the top. Air flows around it smoothly as it falls to the
ground. It’s the same with cars – smooth, rounded surfaces allow the air to flow in a stream
over the vehicle, reducing the “push” of air against the body.

Today, most cars achieve a Cd of about .30. SUVs, which tend to be more boxy than cars because
they’re larger, accommodate more people, and often need bigger grilles to help cool the engine
down, have a Cd of anywhere from .30 to .40 or more. Pickup trucks – a purposefully boxy design
– typically get around .40 [source: Siuru].

Many have questioned the “unique” looks of the Toyota Prius hybrid, but it has an extremely
aerodynamic shape for a good reason. Among other efficient characteristics, its Cd of .26 helps
it achieve very high mileage. In fact, reducing the Cd of a car by just 0.01 can result in a 0.2
miles per gallon (.09 kilometers per liter) increase in fuel economy [source: Siuru]."UNQUOTE.

AERODYNAMIC DIAGRAMS OF MEASURED DRAG COEFFICIENTS OF DIFFERANT SHAPES:-

ZEPPELIN AIRSHIPS AND TEARDROPS = ZEPPELIN AIRSHIP AERODYNAMICS.

NOTE:Right from the early days of motor vehicle aerodynamics the streamlined aerodynamic Zeppelin Airship
has been used as the basis for the aerodynamics of motor vehicles,both in actuallity and for
illustrative purposes.Zepplins and teardrops are basically the same shape and mean the same
thing - and I prefer the attractive and exotic-sounding Zepplin name and description.This also
applies to the following magnificent transportation vehicle,which to me is very,very
GERMAN! :exclamation: :smiley: …oh yes! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

From WIKIPEDIA:-
SCHIENENZEPPELIN

"The Schienenzeppelin or rail zeppelin was an experimental railcar which resembled a zeppelin
airship in appearance. It was designed and developed by the German aircraft engineer Franz
Kruckenberg in 1929. Propulsion was by means of a propeller located at the rear, it accelerated
the railcar to 230.2 km/h (143.0 mph) setting the land speed record for a petrol powered rail
vehicle. Only a single example was ever built, which due to safety concerns remained out of
service and was finally dismantled in 1939."UNQUOTE.

In a world of steam railway locomotives in 1930,the fantastic Schienenzeppelin must have given
people the impression that it had come from the planet MONGO! :exclamation: :smiley: ,of FLASH GORDON (Buster Crabbe)
Emperor Ming The Merciless (Charles Middleton) Science Fiction Film Series fame!!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :smiley: :-

SCHIENENZEPPELIN AERODYNAMIC PETROL-ENGINED REAR PUSHER PROPELLER-DRIVEN PASSENGER
RAILCAR,Germany,1930.Front offside view:-

Rear view:-

View of the pusher propeller revolving:-

SCHIENENZEPPELIN from the planet Mongo and a comparatively old fashioned German steam
railway locomotive:-

The SCHIENENZEPPELIN was a real star of the show.It still is,because working scale models are
made for model railway layouts :slight_smile: :-

NOTE:To be fair,there was also the equally fascinating and fantastic rear pusher propeller driven overhead rail Aerodynamic Zeppelin Railcarplane,invented by the Scottish engineer,George Bennie,in 1923 known as the George Bennie Airspeed Railway which was built in 1929 on an experimental basis at Milngavie,near Glasgow,Scotland on the
LNER Line…top speed:150 MPH! :exclamation: :smiley: This railcarplane was equally worthy as being from the planet Mongo in the very enjoyable Flash Gordon film series! :exclamation: :smiley: :-
George Bennie Railplane System of Transport Poster,1929.LNER LINE,Scotland:-

HONDA ZEPPELIN LUXURIOUS AERODYNAMIC MOTORCAR,it’s aerodynamics are based on Zepplin airships.

designbuzz.com/honda-zeppeli … adaptable/

USS LOS ANGELES ZEPPLIN AIRSHIP -US NAVY.Moored to the USS Patoga Ship:-

DIAGRAMS THAT SHOW THE ZEPPELIN AIRSHIP SHAPE BEING THE BEST AERODYNAMIC AND STREAMLINED SHAPE.:-

CHRYSLER AIRFLOW. AIRFLOW CHRYSLER,IT SLIPS THROUGH THE AIR,IT FLOATS OVER THE GROUND
Advertisement - Zeppelin airship aerodynamics are explained and illustrated:-

As can clearly be seen in the illustrations in the above Chrysler Airflow advertisement,Zeppelin
airship aerodynamics are employed in the Chrysler Airflow design,and indeed basically at least in
every other aerodynamic motor vehicle :smiley:

ZEPPELIN MOTORCOACHES,VANS,Etc.

Streamlining became all the rage in the 1930s,and seemingly everything was streamlined -motor
vehicles,rail vehicles,buildings,radio sets,furniture,etc.A good number of British motorcoaches
had Zeppelin airship STYLING! :exclamation: :smiley: :A good example is the following Foden motorcoach below - there is
no doubt where the styling of the S10 DG lorry cab came from :slight_smile: (QV)… After WW2,this Foden was fitted with an S18 radiator grille,and was also re-bodied as a double decker bus :slight_smile: :-

FODEN SDG6/FODEN FC26C ZEPPELIN AERODYNAMIC MOTORCOACH,Chassis No.15854,ARE 489.July 1934.Whieldon’s Green Motorcoaches,Rugeley,Staffordshire:-

DON-BUR ZEPPELIN AIRSHIP AERODYNAMIC TRAILERS.

From the Don-Bur website:-

donbur.co.uk/eng/products/ae … a3yP9xwbvI

The Don-Bur Aerodynamic Teardropâ„¢ [Zeppelin Airship Aerodynamics]
What is the Teardropâ„¢? [Zeppelin Airship Aerodynamics]
The Teardropâ„¢, first conceived by the Don-Bur design team in 2006, is a unique and innovative
commercial vehicle shape that mimics the natural and perfect aerodynamic properties of a liquid
teardrop [Zeppelin Airship Aerodynamics]. The streamlined shape generates significant fuel savings and an increase in cubic capacity.UNQUOTE.

SCANIA R-SERIES 6x2 TWIN STEER DON-BUR ZEPPELIN AIRSHIP AERODYNAMIC BOXVAN-BODIED ARTIC,UK MAIL
Express Parcels:-

One of my favourite true sayings is:THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN :smiley: This applies to the above Don-Bur Zeppelin Airship Aerodynamic Trailers,because American heavy motor truck manufacturer,White,and one of it’s customers,Labatt Brewery Company,were involved with a fleet of
aerodynamic Don-Bur-style motor tankers from 1935 up until circa the late 1950s at least :smiley: .And this is a preserved example of one of the streamlined White 4x2 Tractive Units with a Don-Bur Zeppelin Aerodynamic-style tanker-bodied semi-trailer,and a profile:-

WHITE WA COE LABATT’S STREAMLINER AERODYNAMIC TANKER-BODIED
ARTIC.1947.Profiles.Magnificent :smiley: :-

WHITE WA COE LABATT’S STREAMLINER AERODYNAMIC TANKER-BODIED ARTIC.1947.Front offside
view.Magnificent :smiley: :-

Don-Bur Zeppelin Airship Aerodynamic Trailers were pre-empted by White and Laybatt by at least 70-years! :exclamation: :smiley:

A STREAMLINED BYCYCLE RIDER WITH AN AERODYNAMIC FASTBACK CRASH HELMET:-

BMW 500cc SUPERCHARGED KNEELER AERODYNAMIC SPEED RECORD MOTORCYCLE,Complete with
Motorcyclist,Ernst Henne.In late 1937 he attained a world solo motorcycle speed record of 173.67
MPH.Note streamlined fastback crash helmet:-

MAYBACH,THE ROLLS-ROYCE OF GERMANY.
Another magnificent example of German vehicle engineering in it’s own right - and which IS ALSO
VERY GERMAN too! :exclamation: :smiley: - is the grandiose Maybach Zeppelin DS 8 V12 Spohn Special Streamlined Limousine Motorcar,of 1932. Maybach was the Rolls-Royce of Germany and made luxury motorcars that were in the grand manner,with radiators nearly three feet wide,bonnets were seven feet long and the shortest of the three availiable wheelbases was twelve feet! :exclamation: :smiley:

FULLER GEARBOXES HAVE NO CHANCE AGAINST THE FORMIDABLE MAYBACH DOPPELSCHNELLGANG! :exclamation: :wink: :smiley:

These huge Maybach motorcars were powered by big and powerful engines,of course,including a
8-litre - 7977 cc,OHV,V12-cylinder 200 BHP petrol engine,many of these grand motorcars had
the formidable Doppelschnellgang eight forward speeds and four reverse speeds gearboxes! :exclamation: :smiley:
Maybach made the engines for the Zeppelin Airships,hence the Zeppelin model name :smiley: :-

Graf Zeppelin Airship LZ127 flying over Maybach Motor Works in Friedrichshafen:-

Maybach made several aerodynamic motorcars during the 1930s,including the aerodynamic Maybach
in the following photographs:-
Maybach-Stromlinienwagen werden auf Spezialchassis der bewährten Sechs- und Zwölfzylindertypen W
6 und Zeppelin - Maybach Zeppelin DS 8 V12 Spohn Special Streamlined Limousine Motorcar,1932 -
German to English translation:-Maybach Streamlined current line vehicles become W 6 and zeppelin
on special chassis of the proved six types and twelve cylinder types:-
Maybach Zepplin DS 8 V12 Spohn Special Streamlined Limousine Motorcar,1932.Beautiful :smiley: Front nearside view:-

Maybach Zepplin DS 8 V12 Spohn Special Streamlined Limousine Motorcar,1932.Front offside and rear offside views.Beautiful:-

CHRYSLER AIRFLOW Cd: Drag Coefficient of 0.5.
And now for the beautiful CHRYSLER AIRFLOW,America’s first mass-produced aerodynamic motorcar and
the first aerodynamically-designed motorcar to be developed in a wind tunnel :smiley: Aviation pioneer,Orville Wright,had some input in to the design of the Airflow.Chrysler had to pay Paul Jaray royalties on every Airflow built :slight_smile:

DE SOTO AIRFLOW SE AERODYNAMIC COUPE MOTORCAR,1934.Aeroplane-aviation backgrounds were used in
some Airflow advertisements,such as this one :slight_smile: :-

CHRYSLER AIRFLOW CU AERODYNAMIC COUPE MOTORCAR,1934.Advertisement - a more glamourous “Volkswagen
Beetle” grown up! :exclamation: :smiley: Yes.The Airflow and the Beetle do have very similar styling and aerodynamics,which is not surprising really,since Paul Jaray aerodynamic patents are used in both designs :smiley: :-

CHRYSLER AIRFLOW-British version-Chrysler Heston Airflow Eight Sedan Motorcar,1934.Advertisement.
ClassicCarCatalogue.British Chrysler motorcars were built in Kew,Surrey:-
:-

TATRA T77 Cd: Drag Coefficient of 0.22.
Paul Jaray aerodynamic patents are also incorporated in the design of the fantastic and beautiful
Hans Ledwinka-designed Tatra T77 rear-engined aerodynamic sedan motorcar of 1934,made in
Czechoslovakia :smiley:
The Tatra T77 was measured to have a Cd of .212, a number that was not broken by a production car
until the General Motors’ EV-1 of 1995, which measured at .195.

TATRA 77 SEDAN AERODYNAMIC MOTORCAR,1934,FRONT NEARSIDE COLOUR VIEW:-

TATRA 77 SEDAN AERODYNAMIC MOTORCAR,1934,REAR NEARSIDE VIEW:-

TATRA T-77A,T-87 AND T-97 AERODYNAMIC MOTORCARS ADVERTISEMENT - with rear tailfins and all,1938 :smiley: :-

ADLER 2.5-LITRE AERODYNAMIC SEDAN MOTORCAR STREAMLINER.1937.PAN- ARYAN SUPERMAN COMMUTES FROM ONE AUTOBAHN AND ON TO THE NEXT AUTOBAHN - wonderfully put by Automotive Historian,Michael Sedgwick :smiley: :-

Blackpool,the very popular holiday resort,and a Mecca of Motorcoaches! :exclamation: :smiley: ,used to operate
streamlined single and double decker buses -they still operate the Ballon Streamlined Trams - and
the streamliners suit the flamboyance of Blackpool very well :smiley: :-

LEYLAND TITAN PD2/5/BURLINGHAM FH29/23C 52-SEAT STREAMLINED DOUBLE DECKER BUS,EFV
300,1952.Preserved Blackpool Transport No.300:-

OPEL BLITZBUS,LUDEWIG AERO Straßenzepp - ROAD ZEPPELIN - 21-Seat AUTOBAHN MOTORCOACH.Essen City
Municipal Transport Company,1937.Front offside view:-

OPEL BLITZBUS,LUDEWIG AERO Straßenzepp - ROAD ZEPPELIN - 21-Seat AUTOBAHN MOTORCOACH,REAR
TAILFIN:-

FUTURISTIC AERODYNAMIC AUTOBAHN ZEPPELIN DOUBLE DECKER MOTORCOACH,WITH ROOF-REAR TAILFIN.From the Paleo-Future:-

WHITE 700-SERIES NORMAL CONTROL STREAMLINED TANKER -BODIED LORRY.1937.White’s heavy motor truck
range was styled by Alexis De Sakhnoffsky:-

COMMER 2-TON/HOLLAND COACHCRAFT AERODYNAMIC VAN,CMD 407,1935 MIDDLESEX-REGISTERED.WW2 ENSA
Mobile Recording Unit,donated by star Gertrude Lawrence to ENSA.Ex-Collars Ltd:-

LEYLAND OCTOPUS TEW15T ZEPPELIN AERODYNAMIC,LEYLAND VAN-BODIED,8x2 LORRY.1938.Chas.A.Wells Road
Transport Contractor,London E.C.2.For their Bank of England transport work.Spectacular! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

FODEN DG6/15,S10 AERODYNAMIC-CABBED,TANKER-BODIED 8x4 EIGHT-WHEELER LORRY-what a wonderful illustration,from a Foden advertisement I presume.As with the above Foden SDG6 Motorcoach,ARE 489,the styling and aerodynamics of the DG lorry range S10 Cab were influenced by the Zeppelin airship aerodynamics :smiley: :-

HENSCHEL HS1905 STREAMLINED-CABBED,190 BHP DIESEL-ENGINED,6x4 TANKER-BODIED ARTICULATED
LORRY,1952.ESSO:-

MAN FULDA CONCEPT AERODYNAMIC,MAN 12.8-LITRE DIESEL-ENGINED,6x2 OR 6x4 BOXVAN-BODIED ARTICULATED
LORRY,2007:-

MAN CONCEPT S STREAMLINED 4x2 TRACTIVE UNIT-KRONE AERO LINER STREAMLINED BOXVAN-BODIED
ARTICULATED LORRY OUTFIT.September 2012:-

As [ZB] Anorak says,the Atkinson Mk1 Panoramic - and later Mk2 - were more aerodynamic than some
other British lorries.But the ERF KV,Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik and Park Royal Tin Front Mk III Phase 2 were also pretty aerodynamic,too :slight_smile:

ATKINSON SILVER KNIGHT T3266LXB,Mk1 PANORAMIC-CABBED,6x4 SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,Chassis No.FC.16298,UWU 771F.Melvin Eddy,Leeds,Auto Scooters Dodgems:-

ERF KV 4.4G2 4x2 SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,Chassis No.10356,5194 DD,November,1961.New to Drummond:-

But probably the most aerodynamic British cab of the late 1950s and 1960s period,because of all
it’s curves,was the Foden S21 Spaceship Sputnik,and a preserved example is shown here :smiley: :-

FODEN S21 SPACESHIP SPUTNIK 4AE6/32 TWO STROKE 4x2 SHOWMANS BALLAST ROAD LOCOMOTIVE,SPP 564D,
TWO STROKE,1966.Whittle Brothers State Fair:-

I’ve posted the following photograph twice on this thread before,and possibly fuel consumption
would have been slightly improved at least,and engine overheating silghtly reduced at least,if
the Ergomatic-cabbed AEC,Albion and Leyland lorries had been fitted with this Park Royal panoramic version of the Ergomatic Cab,complete with panoramic windscreens :slight_smile: :-

AEC-ALBION-LEYLAND.PARK ROYAL EXPERIMENTAL FIBREGLASS ERGOMATIC PANORAMIC CAB.Front offside view:-

AEC MANDATOR TIN FRONT Mk III 4x2 TRACTIVE UNIT,FJK 154,1959 Eastbourne-registered.Has the
beautiful Park Royal Tin Front MkIII Phase 2 Cab,which is aerodynamic! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

SCANIA R143M V8 430 STREAMLINE TOPLINE 6x2 TAG AXLE BOXVAN-BODIED ARTICULATED LORRY.TEKNO:-

SCANIA R480 STREAMLINE HIGHLINE 6x2 TWIN STEER TRACTIVE UNIT,EURO 6,introduced as the new Scania
Streamline in 2013:-

KENWORTH T680 NORMAL CONTROL AERODYNAMIC 6x4 BOXVAN-BODIED ARTICULATED LORRY:-

It’s a great shame that the attractive Peterbilt 372 Bullet Darthvader aerodynamic heavy motor
truck was only mildly successful,if that! :exclamation: It deserved to be a bestseller! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

PETERBILT 372 BULLET DARTHVADER COE AERODYNAMIC 6x4 AERO BOXVAN-BODIED ARTICULATED HEAVY MOTOR
TRUCK:-

VOLVO AERODYNAMIC NORMAL CONTROL 6x4 TRACTIVE UNIT-BOXVAN-BODIED ARTICULATED HEAVY MOTOR LORRY OF THE FUTURE CONCEPT.2012:-

AERODYNAMIC ARTICULATED HEAVY LORRY OF THE FUTURE:-

SPECTACULAR is the very appropriate word that sums up aerodynamic-streamlined motor vehicles and
other vehicles,such as railway locomotives and aeroplanes,both in terms of performance and
aesthetic beauty - or at least interesting looks! :exclamation: :smiley: And the aerodynamic CONSTANT has prevailed from the early days of aerodynamic motor vehicles,as in the 1942 Buick,below,and it’s 2014 high tech equivalent of today:The Audi A7 Sportback,below:-

BUICK SPECIAL SERIES 40B 4-DOOR 6-LIGHT SEDAN AERODYNAMIC FASTBACK STREAMLINER MOTORCAR,1942.Beautiful:-

AUDI A7 SPORTBACK 4-DOOR 6-LIGHT SEDAN AERODYNAMIC FASTBACK STREAMLINER MOTORCAR,2014.Beautiful:-

And here are two more spectacular,beautiful and flamboyant examples of the ageless spirit of aerodynamic and streamlined motor vehicles :smiley: :-

ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM 1 JONCKHEERE Aerodynamic AERODYNAMIC COUPE,1925 chassis,1935 body:-

ROLLS-ROYCE PHANTOM 1 JONCKHEERE Aerodynamic AERODYNAMIC COUPE,1925 chassis,1935 body,rear nearside view - note the tailfin :slight_smile: :-

And an equally fantastic modern version of the above Rolls-Royce,but actually looks like a Bentley :unamused: :slight_smile: :-

Rolls-Royce Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe II Concept 9.Ugur Sahin Design,and passenger jet aeroplane.A real Jet Set Motorcar!:-

Rolls-Royce Jonckheere Aerodynamic Coupe II Concept 9.Ugur Sahin Design,rear nearside view:-

A 1936 promotional film of the beautiful,slinky smooth aerodynamic Lincoln Zephyr V12 :smiley: and four more photographs:-
LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 Cd: Drag Coefficient of 0.45:-

LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 FOUR DOOR SEDAN MOTORCAR,1936.Advertisement,rear offside view of the slinky smooth,beautiful streamliner :slight_smile: :-

LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 AERODYNAMIC SEDAN STREAMLINER MOTORCAR,1936.FULL FRONT VIEW.BEAUTIFUL :slight_smile: :-

LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 FOUR DOOR SEDAN SIX-LIGHT AERODYNAMIC MOTORCAR STREAMLINER ,1937 - a really evocative photograph of a real beaut of a motorcar! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

LINCOLN ZEPHYR V12 AERODYNAMIC STREAMLINER MOTORCAR -It was deservedly the sensation of the 1936 USA National Automobile Show :smiley: :-

Streamlines Make Headlines (1936):-
youtube.com/watch?v=AstFT2cOEmo

AERODYNAMIC-STREAMLINED LAND SEA AND AIR VEHICLES - IT’S AN AIRFLOW AGE! :exclamation: :slight_smile: :-

THE ULTIMATE AERODYNAMIC AND STREAMLINED MOTOR VEHICLES :smiley: :-

BLOODHOUND SSC = SUPERSONIC CAR -POTENTIAL 1000-PLUS MPH WORLD LAND SPEED RECORD MOTORCAR.Driver,Andy Green.2014:-

THRUST SSC = SUPERSONIC CAR - THE CURRENT ULTIMATE AERODYNAMIC MOTOR VEHICLE,current Supersonic World Land Speed Record Holder -763.035 MPH! :exclamation: :smiley: Driven by Andy Green:-

THRUST SSC=SUPERSONIC CAR,THE SPECTACULAR AERODYNAMIC TRANSONIC SHOCKWAVE AS THIS MOTORCAR TRAVELS AT JUST BELOW OR ABOVE THE SOUND BARRIER :smiley: - CIRCA 760 MPH! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

MAUDSLAY was probably the oldest marque,in terms of heritage,ever to grace the British Leyland
Motor Corporation :smiley:

Henry Maudslay,22 August 1771 — 14 February 1831,was a British machine tool innovator, tool and
die maker, and inventor. He is considered a founding father of machine tool technology.He founded
his own engineering company in 1798.The great grandson of Henry was Walter H. Maudslay,and he
and his two sons, Cyril and Reginald Walter,founded a company to make marine internal combustion
engines in 1901,which actually began producing commercial vehicles in 1903.
Reginald Walter Maudslay left the company and founded the famous Standard Motor Company in 1903 :smiley: ,which,like Maudslay,was also destained to become part of the Leyland group :slight_smile:
The Maudslay marque is going to have the last say in this POST 25 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

MAUDSLAY MARQUE,COVENTRY,SHIELD RADIATOR BADGE:-

MAUDSLAY MOTORCARS Advertisement,1903:-

Here is something new on me,I didn’t know that Maudslay had made railway locomotives:-
MAUDSLAY STANDARD GAUGE PETROL-ENGINED RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVE,1904:-

MAUDSLAY MOTOR COMPANY LTD,Coventry,Lorry,Bus and Motorcoach Models Advertisement.1922:-

MAUDSLAY MAGNA 6-WHEELER DOUBLE DECKER OMNIBUS Advertisement,1930-1934:-

MAUDSLAY METEOR ML6/PLAXTON C32F MOTORCOACH,Chassis No.5015,WJ 2685.1931.New to Hirst and
Sweeting Ltd,Hillsborough,Sheffield:-

MAUDSLAY MARATHON III/WHITSON C31F OBSERVATION MOTORCOACH,DFR 395.1948.WEMS Motoroaches,Weston-
Super-Mare:-

MAUDSLAY REGAL IV,BURLINGHAM SEAGULL C41C MOTORCOACH,MTJ 357,1951.Samuel Ledgard motorcoach and
bus operator,Bradford and Leeds:-

MAUDSLAY MUSTANG DROPSIDE-BODIED 6x2 TWIN STEER LORRY,URE 126,1950.G.H.Downing Ltd,Chesterton,Staffordshire,Acme Sandstorm Tiles:-

MAUDSLAY MARATHON III,DUPLE A-TYPE C33F MOTORCOACH,Chassis No.70440,Body No.51687,HWW 767,April
1949.T.Burrows and Sons,Wombwell (Wombwell has a silent B :slight_smile: ),Barnsley:-

MAUDSLAY MIKADO FLAT-BODIED 8x4 RIGID EIGHT-WHEELER LORRY,FLV 778.Late 1939.McCready
Brothers,Liverpool.Wartime photograph:-

MAUDSLAY MAJESTIC DROPSIDE-BODIED 6x2 TWIN STEER CHINESE SIX LORRY,on trade plates.Maudslay Motor
Company,Great Alne,Alcester,nr.Coventry:-

MAUDSLAY MAMMOTH MAJOR EIGHT TIN FRONT MkIII,DROPSIDE-BODIED,8x2 OR 8x4 LORRY,1958.Has a Park
Royal Tin Front MKIII Phase Two-style Cab.G.P.O.Transport Division :smiley: :-

From the BBC Website,DOOMSDAY PROJECT:-

What is Domesday? :question:
In 1986 the BBC launched an ambitious project to record a snapshot of everyday life across the UK
for future generations. A million volunteers took part… read more here:-
bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/d … 000/page/6

ROCKWELL-MAUDSLAY.

1986 Rockwell Maudslay Gt.Alne
259 people work at Rockwell
Maudslay only 12 of those people are
ladies and the other 247 are men
because the things are too heavy for
ladies to lift.Rockwell Maudslay is
now situated in Great Alne but was
originally built in Coventry but after
continuous bombing moved in 1941.The
Maudslay works were taken over by
Rockwell International of Pittsburg,
U.S.A.in 1972.
The working hours are 08:00 to
16:30 and the lunch break of 12:30
to 13:00.The total amount of working
hours a week is 39.There are 33 days
holidays a year:the Easter week,Spring
week,two weeks in summer and a week in
September.They close down on Christmas
Eve and go back on January 2nd.
The firm make rear axles for buses
and lorries.A change will be made,when
imported Italian parts will be used.UNQUOTE.

Maudslay became part of the AEC-run ACV = Associated Commercial Vehicles in 1948,along with
Crossley,Chas H.Roe and Park Royal Vehicles - Thornycroft joined ACV in 1961.The Maudslay marque
was avaiable on complete complete commercial vehicles until 1960 (by then badge-engineered AEC’s :unamused: :unamused:)
,and Maudsley gradually became a producer of axles and other components for commercial
vehicles.British Leyland sold Maudslay to Rockwell in 1972,and the new owner re-named Maudslay
to Rockwell-Maudslay.Rockwell sold it’s automotive interests in 1997,which were re-named Meritor
(a grand old Maudslay model name! :exclamation: :smiley: ),but became Arvin Meritor in 2000,but was re-named Meritor in 2011 :smiley:

MAUDSLAY MERITOR MkIIIA 850-SERIES,LEWIS SCOTT-CABBED,LEWIS SCOTT FLAT-BODIED,8x4 RIGID EIGHT-WHEELER LORRY,Chassis No.85254,MUG 340,1951.In Allison’s Transport livery.
Preserved by Peter Davies from 1966 to 2008,he then sold it to another enthusiast - does anyone
know who now owns it? :question: :slight_smile: ,please.Thanks :slight_smile: :smiley: :-

MAUDSLAY.Peter Davies is one of my hero’s,and here is the Maudslay,MUG 340,in it’s original
(preservation-wise) evocative W.H.Bowker-inspired livery,complete with the great SEND IT BY ROAD slogan :smiley: :-

VALKYRIE

Shame they didn`t buy the rest of the old ACV set up when they bought Maudsley probably too late by then though the damage was done

I find it ironic that in a thread for the ERGO cab, we see the Chrysler Airflow.
As a kid in the 50’s our family car was a 35 straight 8 Airflow.
It too had a crankshaft driven fan and yes it also had overheating problems.
Not designed for our dreadful Aus. “roads” and a good rough bumpy road would shake the engine on its mounts and have the fan into the radiator core.

Morning all, and its another wet one…will I be Shropshire`s first Rice Paddy farmer? Its looking that way.

I think that it was 1968, on my way back home via Paris that I saw the Boulevard advertisments for the “Salon”, the Paris Motor show. That was it, (and was it not easy to park an artic in those days close to such an event). So I “found time”, to go! Now on the Willeme stand along side the Cottard cab models, both cab over and avec Capot, all sported AEC triangular badges, for AEC engines powered them, there was a sole Ergomatic cab 4x2, on 1100 tyre equipment.

Now I cannot recall at this distance any further details, but I cannot recollect Willeme marketing the Ergo cab as a mainstream product, FF, and FG BMCs yes, and quite obviously there was a strong synergy between AEC and Willeme, as I have written previously.

When I walked back to my S21 Foden, she was being admired by several show goers, probably an unusual lorrry in France at that time, but I was proud of her, and her 150 Gardner!

Out into the rain…Cheerio for now.

Certainly the most esoteric thread yet on Trucknet!!! :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: :wink:

So I’ll add my two penn’orth on aerodynamic styling. How about this Foden designed as a loaf of bread :question: :question: :question: The round-top loaf is quite aerodynamic, unlike the square sandwich loaf.

Flour Milling 043.jpg

Evening all, from "sub-aqua Shropshire!

Streamlining, evocative motors to me personally…the Albion Sugar Foden 8 wheeler Tankers, even those handsome, and “slippy” profiled Tate and Lyle , (oh dear), Fodens again), bulk sugar tankers! Then there was the John Thompson designed forward entry Albion 8 wheeler Tanker for Shell Mex, and what about those handsome little TK Bedfords running out of Pontypool for British Nylon Spinners. Really smart little articulated outfits, resplendent in the blue livery, and always a few parked overnight at the Sunset" Transportotel" , alongside the A449 at Penkridge.

Then there was the French Willeme straight 8cylinder test lorry for Michelin, even had the actual roof profile of a Citroen DS19, and could (by repute), achieve a steady 110mph plus…now that is tyre testing on the Route Nationales!!! Then up to date we have the project Virages, in all its forms, that led to real useable operational lorries…now that is what I call streamlining.

Anyone know where I can obtain an amphidious Baler■■?

Cheerio for now,…how does one drink Bollinger with an aqualung■■?

Amphibious vehicles sink John, a DUKW sank in the Mersey last week.
Cheers Dave.

Saviem:
Evening all, from "sub-aqua Shropshire!

Streamlining, evocative motors to me personally…the Albion Sugar Foden 8 wheeler Tankers, even those handsome, and “slippy” profiled Tate and Lyle , (oh dear), Fodens again), bulk sugar tankers! Then there was the John Thompson designed forward entry Albion 8 wheeler Tanker for Shell Mex, and what about those handsome little TK Bedfords running out of Pontypool for British Nylon Spinners. Really smart little articulated outfits, resplendent in the blue livery, and always a few parked overnight at the Sunset" Transportotel" , alongside the A449 at Penkridge.

Then there was the French Willeme straight 8cylinder test lorry for Michelin, even had the actual roof profile of a Citroen DS19, and could (by repute), achieve a steady 110mph plus…now that is tyre testing on the Route Nationales!!! Then up to date we have the project Virages, in all its forms, that led to real useable operational lorries…now that is what I call streamlining.

Anyone know where I can obtain an amphidious Baler■■?

Cheerio for now,…how does one drink Bollinger with an aqualung■■?

Hiya after reading the ergo site i’ve found just the place for you lads in Germany

good luck John

3300John:
Hiya after reading the ergo site i’ve found just the place for you lads in Germany

good luck John

Is that German for Southall?