Berliet

Now, the same truck when it was at work, with a tipper-trailer. Max speed about 70 kph.

michel:
Newly restored in South of France, wine tanker.

Berliet GLM10M2 from 1961.

That is one very pretty lorry and a credit to who ever restored it

Certainly more pretty than its initial content must have been kind to the palate! Probably what we French called “le grois rouge qui tache”; literally “thick staining red wine”. Restored up to almost-new indeed!

Berliet GBH 260, with a cable-operated roll-on skip. I used to drive it from time to time in the late 1990s.

The inside of its “Relaxe” cab. This 1975 truck was later sent, together with a “colleague”, to Nigeria for a second life. Maybe it’s still on the road over there, but in which condition?

Berliet GLC 6R 1957 with Mc Cormick.

This year the Berliet GLR with 5 cylinder engine will celebrate its 70 anniversary, so if you have pictures of this model taken outside France as it was sold in Africa,Germany,Netherlands,South America,Swiss il would be fine to place them in the future work, thanks.

1973 advert.

I had forgotten this thread! The GLR’s 70th anniversary is certainly a good opportunity to bring it back!

Click on pages twice to read.

Thanks for putting this article, which gives an excellent history of Berliet, with a very good sampling of vehicles. I went trough it carefully, and spotted two minor mistakes.

• On page 3, the 1930s 6-wheelers were not powered by a 8.6 litre engine, but either by 12 or 14-litre diesels (GDHE 12 or 14)
  • page 5, the GPM 10 was a 6x2, not a 6x4.

I had the unexpected opportunity to meet Paul Berliet at the Fondation Berliet some 20 years ago and have a chat with him. Certainly the most important person I ever met, and a very nice man!

Froggy55:
This 1969 Berliet GR 200 is longing for a new owner, some 20 kms from where I live. Fitted with the 180 bhp (SAE) 9,8 litre M 620 engine, and a ZF gearbox; in running order. It was at work until 2007 on a farm and stored indoor until it was taken out some 2 years ago. It definitely deserves being preserved, but we’re in France and it might as well go for scrap…

The inside, in perfect original condition. The GR/TR series were fitted with the wide “Relaxe” cab, introduced in 1959 with the GPRK Michel showed us previously.

If the owner only wants scrap money, surely an enthusiast would take it on? Maybe he’s one of those that always ask for more than a fair price, hoping to cheat someone.

I guess it finally found a new owner, because it’s no longer to be seen; the asked price was 3000€ (some £2600).

That’s not a bad price. I hope it spends a very long future in preservation.

A swiss GLR 10b with trailer and seldom “Hatcher” , always search GLR pictures from outside France.Thanks.

Couldn’t it rather be a GLR 10 M with its filter on the left wing?

More probable the engine has been changed, because the windscreen is still small and the metallic bar in the middle of them. Also the Magic with round nose had crossing lights in the bumper. Here is an original GLR 8M with 5 cylinders engine. ( from 1959 to end 1960)

michel:
More probable the engine has been changed, because the windscreen is still small and the metallic bar in the middle of them. Also the Magic with round nose had crossing lights in the bumper. Here is an original GLR 8M with 5 cylinders engine. ( from 1959 to end 1960)

I understand the reason for it, in those perhaps pre power steering days, but ow would you like to have just that small window of sight over the steering wheel?

Also, whenever I see one of those, I can’t help bringing to mind those Leyland Comets of yesteryear with the scalloped bonnets. :slight_smile:

Or, come to think of it, those Dodge tippers in the ‘Hell Drivers’ :laughing:

michel:

Here’s another “hybrid” which is, believe it or not, still at work in the South of France. It looks an M2 serie with its squre bonnet, but is not. The moulding just under the cab cell’s windows clearly makes it a TLM 10 M; its round bonnet was chaged for a square one, probably after an accident.

Search pictures of Berliet GLR in Madagascar, could you help, please ?

Have you thought about the “spécial lecteurs” Charge-Utile issues during the summer?