Berkshire Companies

Im surprized that nobody has come up with any photos of Joe Gray’s old motors, as he had a few and they got about all over the place.

Just been going through my dad’s old paper work from back in the day & found this,… someone might like to see it

What a great find… Look at the prices!!!
Thanks for sharing, it is rare to find any old paperwork and especially in such good condition.

Hi everybody, I’m new to this site and came across it when searching info for my dad.
His name is William (billy) judd he had a haulage company (sawmill)in Spencer’s wood, w h n judd & sons.
I was wondering if any body remembers him ? And if anybody has any old photos of him/trucks?
My dad is now 82 and he would love to see any photos or hear some stories you may have.
Many thanks in advance

Carolinejudd:
Hi everybody, I’m new to this site and came across it when searching info for my dad.
His name is William (billy) judd he had a haulage company (sawmill)in Spencer’s wood, w h n judd & sons.
I was wondering if any body remembers him ? And if anybody has any old photos of him/trucks?
My dad is now 82 and he would love to see any photos or hear some stories you may have.
Many thanks in advance

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to Trucknet.

I’m glad your Dad is ok, I can’t believe he’s 82 !! I remember him running the round timber,with Volvo’s,and one of my old drivers John Cadman (R.I.P.) worked for him,I seem to think he was related to your family in some way, he ran to the Middle East a few times as well.

Sorry I haven’t got any pictures just memories, please give your father my best.

I think John’s son works for Brants at Tadley he may have some pics.

Regards
Richard

I remember Judds from the 1950’s when they had Unipower timber tractors Caroline! There were several round timber merchants in the Reading area then, H.C Aubrey (I think it was?) at Newtown who took the trees down for the Wokingham Road widening and Valentine Wood at Silchester.
Mr Judd also ran the miniature railway on the Thames side promenade, but of course you already know that… :wink:

Pete.

MaggieD:

Carolinejudd:
Many thanks in advance

Hi Caroline,

Welcome to Trucknet.

I’m glad your Dad is ok, I can’t believe he’s 82 !! I remember him running the round timber,with Volvo’s,and one of my old drivers John Cadman (R.I.P.) worked for him,I seem to think he was related to your family in some way, he ran to the Middle East a few times as well.

Sorry I haven’t got any pictures just memories, please give your father my best.

I think John’s son works for Brants at Tadley he may have some pics.

Regards
Richard

Hello, wow it’s so great that people remember. Of course dad has always told me of his story’s which I love!
I will of course pass on your best.
Hope someone somewhere has some photos.
Caroline

windrush:
I remember Judds from the 1950’s when they had Unipower timber tractors Caroline! There were several round timber merchants in the Reading area then, H.C Aubrey (I think it was?) at Newtown who took the trees down for the Wokingham Road widening and Valentine Wood at Silchester.
Mr Judd also ran the miniature railway on the Thames side promenade, but of course you already know that… :wink:

Pete.

Hello Pete,

Yes I do indeed know that :wink:, as his dad (my grandfather) ran the railway, there is a brilliant book written about it also.
It’s so nice to hear people remember him.

Caroline

Caroline.
If you go to page 2 on this thread there are some photos of the F88’s already posted by Nipper…

006.jpg
007.jpgany one remember these as I found this in a barn

004.jpg

008.jpg

005.jpg

Yes I remember them, but from before the time of that Scania! They ran Bedford TK’s and were based on Reading Road at Winnersh. The TK’s had chrome coach wheel trims fitted if I remember correctly.

Pete.

yes pete
I can remember the Bedford tm they brought new from a c barnes

howlingmad:
yes pete
I can remember the Bedford tm they brought new from a c barnes

I worked at A C Barnes for a year, 1974-75.

Pete.

pete
was it jeff who was a fitter I cant remember the salesman

howlingmad:
pete

Mmm, the name Jeff doesn’t ring any bell’s and I can’t remember any of the sales staff. Jim Hopkins was a fitter, Lewis Gilbert the foreman and another chap named Barry ■■? but I can’t recal the others. Sorry, it WAS a long time ago though. :blush:

Pete.

windrush:

howlingmad:
pete

Mmm, the name Jeff doesn’t ring any bell’s and I can’t remember any of the sales staff. Jim Hopkins was a fitter, Lewis Gilbert the foreman and another chap named Barry ■■? but I can’t recal the others. Sorry, it WAS a long time ago though. :blush:

Pete.

hi pete
I found who barry■■?
his name is barry simmonds

howlingmad:
hi pete
I found who barry■■?
his name is barry simmonds

Possibly, but it doesn’t really ring any bells with me. However I was only physically there for nine months before I went off sick with glandular fever, they paid me for the three months I was off though even though they knew I was moving away which was very good of them. All I can remember of Barry was that he lived in one of the houses in Wolkingham owned by A.C Barnes, they had several properties I believe?

Dave Murrell was one chap and there was also a young lad named Chris but again I can’t recall his surname! :blush:

Pete.

Anyone remember these?

Yes I do remember the company but that is about all I remember! :blush: Where they were based I have no idea!

Pete.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg