Belt Up!

I’ve always worn them if they’ve been fitted, although it was strange at first having spent so many years driving trucks that didn’t have them fitted.

I don’t find them uncomfortable, but then most of the ones I’ve used have been fitted to the seat not the cab.

I’m not really one for telling others how to live their lives, so really its up to you, but for me there is plenty of evidence that they save lives.

I wear mine because the lorry won’t shut up about it else. However as the only person you’re going to hurt is yourself why can’t they justly you be

Tipper Tom:
I wear mine because the lorry won’t shut up about it else. However as the only person you’re going to hurt is yourself why can’t they justly you be

I do understand the civil liberties argument, but if you accept they can reduce your chances of injury or even death, then surely wearing them so you can return to your gorgeous wife, in the same physical state as you left, should be motivation enough.

I do wear mine. My argument is why is there a law to protect those daft enough not to. Natural selection is the way forward

Tipper Tom:
I do wear mine. My argument is why is there a law to protect those daft enough not to. Natural selection is the way forward

Yep it’s a fair point, I do believe in the choice of the individual, and wear mine because I believe it’s the right thing to do.
But there is also the human and financial costs of death or injury. Just been watching Horizon about improvements in road safety over the last 50 or so years, there were over 8000 death each year on UK roads during the 60’s its now around 2000 a year. That’s thousand fewer people who’s had to deal with losing a loved one or having to live with life changing injuries.

Of course this isn’t all down to seatbelts ,but it has been a major factor.

A Portuguese driver and his partner never wore seat belts.Bet they wish they had after the truck in front suddenly stopped.
The Scania 142 had those big sun visors on the top of the windscreen.The cab tilted over shearing off its chassis.
As his partner was protecting herself from injury she held her arms out to protect herself and as the cab tilts over and lands on the tarmac the sun visors cut off both of her arms.
Another thing folks never get is the rib cage will pierce the vital organs and you can drown in the blood that fills the lungs.
The ones that do not wear one have pathetic and daft excuses.Its itchy.I get trapped by it.I am too tall to wear it.It hurts my neck.It hurts my back.
Spend a day with the fire/police and ambulance to see the carnage.
If you have a medical certificate then you do not have to wear it.
If you bump the head there is a bleed on the brain even at low speeds.

toby1234abc:
If you bump the head there is a bleed on the brain even at low speeds.

That explains a lot!

Nobody disputes that statistically speaking wearing a belt prevents huge amounts of deaths and injuries. The problem I have is to do with freedom to choose, there is a huge difference between someone driving under the influence, speeding, using a mobile and someone not wearing a seatbelt. Not wearing a seatbelt (in the context we are talking about) can only possibly result in the injury of one person and I would actually like to have that choice.

Before anyone trots out the old “yeah but what about the poor emergency services who have to deal with it” card may I point out that the single most dangerous activity you can take part in is horse riding. Are you also going to advocate that people shouldn’t do that in case the poor emergency services are exposed to unpleasantness occasionally?

the maoster:
Before anyone trots out the old “yeah but what about the poor emergency services who have to deal with it” card may I point out that the single most dangerous activity you can take part in is horse riding. Are you also going to advocate that people shouldn’t do that in case the poor emergency services are exposed to unpleasantness occasionally?

And the award for worst analogy of the week goes to …

There’s a pile up involving a few lorries and cars, it’s on a holiday route and the cars have families in them that are trapped and in urgent need of medical help but the emergency services are busy seeing to the lorry drivers who felt they had the right to choose whether or not to wear a seat belt and chose not to. Their selfish actions ■■■■■■■ vital medical help which they would not have needed if they had worn their seat belts, does no-one think of the children any more?? :unamused:

The camera van that sits on the perch on the eastbound M180 caught me 2 weeks ago, they sent me the picture as proof and even with a black teeshirt on it was very clear to see i wasnt wearing it, to be fair to them though they sent me a letter saying saying i could avoid the £100 fine by doing a 30 minute " your belt your life" online course, you can guess which option i have chosen

Seems odd to read these posts saying how wearing a seatbelt is uncomfortable and all the rest of it. I wear mine all the time in trucks and cars, and have done since the year dot, and I’ve never really even noticed it. You folks who find them itchy must be sensitive flowers. :wink:

Darb:

the maoster:

There’s a pile up involving a few lorries and cars, it’s on a holiday route and the cars have families in them that are trapped and in urgent need of medical help but the emergency services are busy seeing to the lorry drivers who felt they had the right to choose whether or not to wear a seat belt and chose not to. Their selfish actions ■■■■■■■ vital medical help which they would not have needed if they had worn their seat belts, does no-one think of the children any more?? :unamused:

they wouldn’t have been needed at all if some stupid car driver hadn’t caused the accident. In the first place so the seatbelt argument is irrelevant. They only serve a purpose in the event of a crash. No crash means no purpose

Darb:

the maoster:

Oh you are funny. :smiley: . Actually you do make a good point and I think you should have gone further; how about the drivers wearing cheap spectacles when they slam into your imaginary crash? What happens when their air bags go off and shatter their glasses driving shards into their eyes, thus causing them to veer off into the barrier resulting in an explosion which could burn the legs of women nearby wearing skirts or men in short sleeves? Or even the man/ woman with long hair who has been irresponsible enough not to tie it back and it starts to tickle their nose causing them to sneeze and lose control and crash into a mini bus full of orphaned children?

See, we can both play the ridiculous and futile analogy game. Some people wear seatbelts, some don’t. Gtf over it, it’s absolutely none of your concern.

martinviking:
Hav’nt noticed Rubber Duck wearing one in Convoy !

So why should we ?

Cos that was back in 1978 !! - update yourself to the 21st century LOL :slight_smile:

the maoster:

Darb:

the maoster:

Oh you are funny. :smiley: . Actually you do make a good point and I think you should have gone further; how about the drivers wearing cheap spectacles when they slam into your imaginary crash? What happens when their air bags go off and shatter their glasses driving shards into their eyes, thus causing them to veer off into the barrier resulting in an explosion which could burn the legs of women nearby wearing skirts or men in short sleeves? Or even the man/ woman with long hair who has been irresponsible enough not to tie it back and it starts to tickle their nose causing them to sneeze and lose control and crash into a mini bus full of orphaned children?

See, we can both play the ridiculous and futile analogy game. Some people wear seatbelts, some don’t. Gtf over it, it’s absolutely none of your concern.

Erm… Contact lenses and a Wahl trimmer…now that’s sorted.

Now just stop being argumentative and just do as you’re told and get your seat belt on !!

lorry or car always where mine dont feel safe otherwise years ago i got told might be old wives tales im gettin on anyway lol that if you roll a truck chances are you will be thrown from the cab and the trailer or whatever would land on you if wearing a seatbelt it would protect you from this dont know if its a myth but thats what ive always thought

nick172sport:
lorry or car always where mine dont feel safe otherwise years ago i got told might be old wives tales im gettin on anyway lol that if you roll a truck chances are you will be thrown from the cab and the trailer or whatever would land on you if wearing a seatbelt it would protect you from this dont know if its a myth but thats what ive always thought

Mercedes designed them for front impact only. They don’t help if you go sideways which is why a driver lost his case against them when he tried to sue for injuries to his arm etc after a rollover