BEFORE you book your training, READ THIS........

ROG:

chevmac:

ROG:
I’m curious - are you with THIS OUTFIT :question:

This outfit?? strange way of putting it :laughing:

OK, fair point - should have put company instead of outfit :slight_smile:

• it could be taken as derogitory which was not my intention :blush: :blush:

Bad turn of phrase…

Non taken :laughing:

Always pay for any training on a credit card if you don’t know the school first hand, that way if you get messed around you can get a full refund from your credit card company under ‘section 75 of the consumer credit act’.

Smart Mart:

scania245 wrote:-

if you cant find a training school thats in the yellow pages dont use them

I’m not quite sure why that is scania245? I’m a DSA registered instructor, but I don’t advertise at all in yellow pages!

Post removed for legal review- Rikki

The best way to book any HGV training is by word of mouth ASK AROUND and don’t be afraid to ask for references
I did this and found it worked for me . as has often been said if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to worry about

I agree with the above ^^^^ Do not fall for newspaper advertisements, especially when they say they’ll give you a job interview at the end because it’ll probably be for a kitchen porter’s post.

Just like to say, I passed my class one today, first attempt, and I’m a very happy chap :smiley:

It started off well, no shunts and straight in the hole on the reversing exercise. Once out on the road it was going beautifully, but I started to fluff it halfway through and it kinda fell apart but fortunately I only picked up 4 minors through that dozey 10 minute stretch but I turned it around and regained my nerves towards the end and didn’t gain any more minor errors. The git of an examiner left a huge pause before telling me that I’d passed, and I didn’t dare to hurry him along in breaking the news to me incase he changed his mind! (I know, I know). Actually he was a good chap and was fair, as the rest of the examiners in Enfield seem to be. I was lucky though, they shut the test centre without warning whilst I was out on the road due to asbestos dust…

Anyway, I’d just like to give out a big recommendation to anyone in the Herts/Beds area for RoadTrain in Hitchin. Paul, the C+E tutor is a very nice chap, made me feel at ease and kept an eye on my performance without creating any undue worry or knocks to my confidence.

Rog, I know you’ve got RoadTrain up there for Essex, can you also add it to Herts? They do still have offices in Essex, but the chaps I trained with are now based in Hitchin, which is well into Hertfordshire.

Good luck to everyone else who’s taking their tests soon.

Oh, also, I’d like to recommend A1 HGV based in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

Jim Brady’s the name of the bloke, he got me through my class C also first time (but with an awful lot of minors due to me trying to do an uphill start in high range :blush: not his fault though) . Very good instructor, his manner isn’t tough or nasty but I wouldn’t describe it as over-friendly! Firm but fair I’d say. I meant to do a recommendation for him back in June when I passed my test but due to lazyness and lack of time I never got around to it.

So, if you could be so kind Rog…

manowar:
Oh, also, I’d like to recommend A1 HGV based in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

Jim Brady’s the name of the bloke, he got me through my class C also first time (but with an awful lot of minors due to me trying to do an uphill start in high range :blush: not his fault though) . Very good instructor, his manner isn’t tough or nasty but I wouldn’t describe it as over-friendly! Firm but fair I’d say. I meant to do a recommendation for him back in June when I passed my test but due to lazyness and lack of time I never got around to it.

So, if you could be so kind Rog…

A1 - thank you :smiley:

Have been looking on jobcentreplus website,class2 with HIAB job in Glasgow £7.00 per hour.C+E jobs are about the same rate.Question if you fund your own training how many hours do you have to work to break even?Assuming that a newbie gets a start in the first place.

As too the last reply, you have a job and a way forward break even doesn’t come into it. Streets of gold forget it it won’t happen, see the world travel around Europe and africa forget that as well us olduns have that sewn up unless your lucky.

Pay for your family your kids and your beer in the pub and be able to hold your head up high, go for it of course it will pay for itself in time. If you want to whinge about better off staying on the dole then do it as you won’t be welcomed by most drivers and deservedly so.

Its a hard job with long hours for bad pay, but a great job with freedom and doing something we love also. Place your pin and take your choice as my dad said better to have tried it and been ■■■■■ than be a ■■■■■ all your life!!!

I think that if a person has a certain amount of money to spend on training he should not spend it on transport training as there are few jobs and plenty of experienced bods to do them.

There is anew LGv training company advertising on the website that they offer ADr training.

Beware they are not ADR approved, they just act as an agent and take a hefty commioner for their services

Eg they are offering a 5 day ADR combined course for £1000.00 when the actual price is about £500.00.

Make sure that when booking an ASr course you go onto the SQa website and check that they are SQA/DfT approved.

Make sure that all trainining cntre are approved by the SQA and DfT.

Atraining co. has to be JAUPT approved as well if you want your training to count towards your DCPC. Is this another old thread revival.

seanpargeter:
Make sure that when booking an ASr course you go onto the SQa website and check that they are SQA/DfT approved.

And JAUPT approved if you want the ADR to count towards your periodic driver cpc

EDIT - SNAP to the post above and this thread is a sticky so perhaps not such a revival :wink:

Hi, Ive just passed my Class 2 test and totally agree with what previous posters have said about the need to be careful when choosing a trainer/driving school. I nearly came unstuck when I was looking myself but fortunately found a great instructor based in Crawley Sussex, Im not sure whether it`s against the rules of this forum to post his contact details but if anyone wants to contact me I will gladly tell you :slight_smile:… by the way if anyone knows of any work out there pls pls pls let me know :wink:

ianhl:
found a great instructor based in Crawley Sussex, Im not sure whether its against the rules of this forum to post his contact details

You are free to recommend on this site - the providers are not allowed to unless they have permission.

We already have a list of schools which have been recommended by site members - HERE :smiley:

Thanks, I was going to just put a link up but have seen there is already one there, Tony knight in Crawley is someone I recommend 100% ,the thing that impressed me the most was that unlike some of the other places I contacted that promised you this and promised you that i,e guaranteed pass/ guaranteed work afterwards etc , the only thing he guarantees is the fact that when your test comes he will have prepared you for it!.
As i said before hes a good instructor and when I save my pennies up Im going back to him to get my C+E

ianhl:
Tony knight in Crawley

This guy?

:slight_smile:

I’m so glad I found this site! At the end of the month, I was going to pay a deposit to DirectLGV. After browsing the boards here though, I think I will go direct to a local school. I was going to go the whole hog, and book back to back catagory C and C+E courses. Would this be the best way? Or would it be wiser to try for the cat C 1st, and gain experience that way, then try to upgrade to the C+E.
I’m looking to change job’s as at the moment I’m driving a taxi, and at the moment it isn’t going anywhere. And hasn’t been for some time now…
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

wesshaw81:
I’m so glad I found this site! At the end of the month, I was going to pay a deposit to DirectLGV. After browsing the boards here though, I think I will go direct to a local school. I was going to go the whole hog, and book back to back catagory C and C+E courses. Would this be the best way? Or would it be wiser to try for the cat C 1st, and gain experience that way, then try to upgrade to the C+E.
I’m looking to change job’s as at the moment I’m driving a taxi, and at the moment it isn’t going anywhere. And hasn’t been for some time now…
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I have answered you HERE

chevmac:
Well lots hope this is the first of many :smiley:

Any training company worth its salt would never sell a driving course to someone without assessing their ability first.

Anyone looking for the cheapest possible way of doing your LGV/PCV licence will get just that-CHEAP and NASTY TRAINING
Nobody wants to be ripped off(we have government agencies for that :smiling_imp: )

There are very good training schools all over the country who will give you very good service for a fair price. The key is to ASK AROUND- cant beat word of mouth recommendations

I’ll second that…and will add not all training schools will advertise in the yellow pages as it is very exspensive and it is doubtful that it pays for it’s self.