Been stopped speeding

Don’t forget that your tacho carries a speed trace which be accessed by plod or dvsa. Don’t think I would chance it. Like has been said - do the crime ,do the time. Pay up quickly and quietly.

tachograph:
In the opening post “officers” was mentioned, if there was more than one in the car I’d say you’ve got absolutely no chance in court so might as well take the fixed penalty.

Sent from my mobile.

Why? Can the second officer in the passenger seat actually see the speed the car is doing? And if he can you see it at a different angle to the driver so it might look different to where it actually is. Or is he just going off what the driver has told him? If so he can’t use that as his own evidence as what he saw. Also has the car been calibrated properly? If it’s a traffic cop probably yes if it’s a normal patrol quite likely no. Also which story in court is the second officer going to go with? 50 or 60? If he says 60 then he’s confirming the dishonesty of the officer who wrote 50 on the ticket.

I’d still take the fine and be done with it, but anyone with legal training would eat this or these officers alive in court over this.

if the post in genuine and he " lives in a small offshore island community" then that would explain the leeway in plod being forced to pop up and do the bizzo if its one of those tiny interbred in and out of each others pockets type of places.

mabey theres a bit of person to person reason as to why getting stopped,and if its so tiny,then wheres the road long enough to hit 60mph anyway?

if its such a small tiny close knit island then surely you would know the plod concerned and would want to get your own back on him for doing you?

if that was the case for me personally then id be on the first plane to bangkok… :open_mouth:

Rowley010:

tachograph:
In the opening post “officers” was mentioned, if there was more than one in the car I’d say you’ve got absolutely no chance in court so might as well take the fixed penalty.

Sent from my mobile.

Why? Can the second officer in the passenger seat actually see the speed the car is doing? And if he can you see it at a different angle to the driver so it might look different to where it actually is. Or is he just going off what the driver has told him? If so he can’t use that as his own evidence as what he saw. Also has the car been calibrated properly? If it’s a traffic cop probably yes if it’s a normal patrol quite likely no. Also which story in court is the second officer going to go with? 50 or 60? If he says 60 then he’s confirming the dishonesty of the officer who wrote 50 on the ticket.

I’d still take the fine and be done with it, but anyone with legal training would eat this or these officers alive in court over this.

Be realistic, are you really saying that you can’t follow a vehicle either as driver or passenger and tell whether it (and you) are moving at around 40 mph or around 60 mph? because if you cant…

cav551:

Rowley010:

tachograph:

Sent from my mobile.

Be realistic, are you really saying that you can’t follow a vehicle either as driver or passenger and tell whether it (and you) are moving at around 40 mph or around 60 mph? because if you cant…

Of course you can. But the only thing that stands up in a court of law is what you can prove beyond all reasonable doubt with a certain degree of accuracy. And if an officer can’t decide whether it’s 50 or 60…

You don’t need two police officers to make a speeding charge stick. One plus a calibrated speedometer is enough, that’s why motorcycle police can issue speeding tickets.

Rowley010:
But the only thing that stands up in a court of law is what you can prove beyond all reasonable doubt with a certain degree of accuracy. And if an officer can’t decide whether it’s 50 or 60…

There’s nothing to stop the copper going to court and saying that he recorded the vehicle doing 60mph but he’s been charged with doing 50mph as a safety precaution, I think you’ll find it not unusual for police to say in court that a driver was driving faster than the speed he’s been charged with.

Sorry double post, could a mod please delete this one :slight_smile:

So lets see, police officer is so far suspected and likely guilty of:
1)Having no evidence a crime was ever committed and being unable to accurately witness a crime was committed (Since he was 2 cars behind, he can’t use a speed gun through 2 cars to track your speed)
2)Falsifying Legal Documents (Stating 50 not the true speed)
3)Blackmail (If you take this to court, Officer is going to prove he falsified a legal document and swear under oath you were doing a higher speed)
4)Perverting the course of justice (By falsifying Legal Documents and blackmailing you about taking the case to court taking us back to point 2)

It would be interesting to know what speed the officer thought you were actually guilty of. Was the officer wearing a bodycam at the time? That alone would prove some of the above offences he/she committed.

Then make sure your tachograph calibration is still in date, then see him try and argue you were doing an impossible speed since the tachograph prevents you from doing more than whatever it is set at, which will be equal to or less than 56mph - If he tries to state you were doing more than 56mph - Yes it is possible a driver can exceed the tacho speed limiter down hill but that is down to officer to prove, which is likely to involve having to close the road and have a truck, weighing the same, run down that road to see if it is possible - I can’t see a court doing all that over a supposed speeding violation.

Get yourself some good legal advice, this could very easily be thrown out of court and any previous speeding tickets or other traffic violations that this officer has issued be investigated depending on how far you wanted to take this in regards to a complaint to the PIRC.

If the fine and points means the difference between you keeping your job and licence and losing either, I would absolutely fight it.

Back in the good OLD days we could cruise at 94/95mph on the M5 with a Volvo F12 chased closely by Geests Banana Fodens out of Barrry Docks.

Must be so frustrating to keep to the limiter nowadays and stay sharp & awake

Looks like we’ve got a few legal eagles on here… or are they talking out of their arses? If I was stupid enough to be doing 60 in a 40 zone and I was done for 50, I’d grab the chance and think meself lucky.

60 on a Scottish B-road? It’s a wonder your motor didn’t rattle itself to pieces. Most of the A-roads are bad enough for bouncing about!

(Edit: admittedly I’m talking D&G coast roads and the Borders here).

Hyh:
So lets see, police officer is so far suspected and likely guilty of:
1)Having no evidence a crime was ever committed and being unable to accurately witness a crime was committed (Since he was 2 cars behind, he can’t use a speed gun through 2 cars to track your speed)
2)Falsifying Legal Documents (Stating 50 not the true speed)
3)Blackmail (If you take this to court, Officer is going to prove he falsified a legal document and swear under oath you were doing a higher speed)
4)Perverting the course of justice (By falsifying Legal Documents and blackmailing you about taking the case to court taking us back to point 2)

It would be interesting to know what speed the officer thought you were actually guilty of. Was the officer wearing a bodycam at the time? That alone would prove some of the above offences he/she committed.

Then make sure your tachograph calibration is still in date, then see him try and argue you were doing an impossible speed since the tachograph prevents you from doing more than whatever it is set at, which will be equal to or less than 56mph - If he tries to state you were doing more than 56mph - Yes it is possible a driver can exceed the tacho speed limiter down hill but that is down to officer to prove, which is likely to involve having to close the road and have a truck, weighing the same, run down that road to see if it is possible - I can’t see a court doing all that over a supposed speeding violation.

Get yourself some good legal advice, this could very easily be thrown out of court and any previous speeding tickets or other traffic violations that this officer has issued be investigated depending on how far you wanted to take this in regards to a complaint to the PIRC.

If the fine and points means the difference between you keeping your job and licence and losing either, I would absolutely fight it.

I completely agree and I’d love to see a lawyer absolutely obliterate the copper in court. However unless he’s going to lose his licence I’d just pay and take the points because if it did go the other way he’d still get the points and fine and have a load of legal costs on top. No point trying to prove it out of principle for the sake of £90 and 3 points.

This guy can give you some pointers, and details of his legal team

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-h … r-49641063

not sure what its all about ,the “im doing you for this but i will let you off for that if you go quietly” is this in case you get arsey and hit them??.
i will give you a fine for no seatbelt but i will let you off for speeding you ok with that? thats another thats so common but whats this all about it doesnt make sense to my mind

What may have been said but not exactly recalled may have been “ you were doing Not less than 50 and up to 60 whilst we followed you”. That’s fair reason to be done for 50, close to what happens in real world, especially if it was over a longer distance.
Is the veh fitted with telematics, that’s far easier to check than the techno speed trace, although it’s gives long distance average speeed which can give a quite different result.

I am sure that there wil be drivers who have heard a Police officer say to them something along the lines of " we have been following you for the last ***yds / mile and during that time you have been travelling between **mph and ** mph. I am going to report you for exceeding the speed limit". He then possibly mentioned a figure within that speed range.

The OP has choices as has been pointed out: ■■■■ it up; or go to court to as has been suggested, to argue he has been blackmailed and it is an illegitimate charge and see how far he gets - I won’t hold my breath - or let a nice solicitor take a wodge off him to tell him to pay up now.

Rowley010:
I completely agree and I’d love to see a lawyer absolutely obliterate the copper in court.

Is that before or after the prosecution produce the speed evidence from the tachograph or produce written records of any of the route such as timings at gatehouses where you’re booked out proving the only way to be at the point you were stopped would be to be doing more than 40MPH?

Its forty mph in Scotland on single carriageways. Relations between Scotland and England are cool to say the least.! If you are in a motor with an English address the police might well show an interest. Enjoy our scenery and don’t take the risk.

cav551:
I am sure that there wil be drivers who have heard a Police officer say to them something along the lines of " we have been following you for the last ***yds / mile and during that time you have been travelling between **mph and ** mph. I am going to report you for exceeding the speed limit". He then possibly mentioned a figure within that speed range.

The OP has choices as has been pointed out: ■■■■ it up; or go to court to as has been suggested, to argue he has been blackmailed and it is an illegitimate charge and see how far he gets - I won’t hold my breath - or let a nice solicitor take a wodge off him to tell him to pay up now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
as above.
either cop for a fixed penalty or spend a fortune and get done worse.
years ago i got caught by an unmarked at dusk for doing up to 82mph on the old A74.
by passing the attitude test and a bit of grovelling we settled on 59 which was fair enough for me as being double the limit meant a obligatory ban.
the did agree that they decided to stop me earlier and although indicating to turn off behind me because it was obvious i had seen them,they pulled back on again,then did a bit of cat and mouse sitting as far back as possible to see just how quick a good transconti was.
changed days when you could haggle with a traffic cop. :slight_smile: