Bedfordshire hauliers past & current

The london brick must have been the largest truck fleet in Beds. 7 oclock in the morning going southbound past j13 in the 1970,s was hair-raising caught up in swarms of their trucks racing to get tipped and back for more loads. Someone must have photos of them.
Happy days!

WaggerWagger888:
The london brick must have been the largest truck fleet in Beds. 7 oclock in the morning going southbound past j13 in the 1970,s was hair-raising caught up in swarms of their trucks racing to get tipped and back for more loads. Someone must have photos of them.
Happy days!

Probably upwards of 200 lorries in the marston vale plus subbies,here’s a photo of the ridgmont depot which has particularly fond memories for me, as a child I used to go out at every opportunity possible with my dads mate who drove there, best paying job around Bedford by a mile and great memories for me. You couldn’t go past a transport cafe anywhere around the south without there being at least half a dozen brick lorries in there.

2E62716E-63FF-44B0-8075-F404E399930C.jpeg

A couple of Edgeley Transport from keysoe where my dad was born. And grew up. Haven’t seen them around for a while now so no idea if they are still going?

Kempston:

WaggerWagger888:
Happy days!

Probably upwards of 200 lorries in the marston vale plus subbies,here’s a photo of the ridgmont depot which has particularly fond memories for me, as a child I used to go out at every opportunity possible with my dads mate who drove there, best paying job around Bedford by a mile and great memories for me. You couldn’t go past a transport cafe anywhere around the south without there being at least half a dozen brick lorries in there.

Thats what I call a smart photo,

Pity they are not about now

nmp

Couple of photos of London Brick engine and gearbox shops.

Good Morning!, thanks for all the input over the weekend very much appreciated!

“couple of Edgeley Transport from keysoe where my dad was born. And grew up. Haven’t seen them around for a while now so no idea if they are still going?”
As far as i know they stopped the haulage side of things and took over the running of Wildmans old yard/ repair shop…

My fleet as a child… i’m just about visible
apologies for the decor!! :slight_smile:

Dad’s lorry for Robsons, Flitwick yard from behind train station.

Kempston:

Nice pics “Kempston” I wonder what a typical days production of bricks was to keep a fleet that large going ■■

london brick foden.PNG

A great post, growing up in Stopsley, Luton, used to love seeing Vauxhall Motors TM’s travelling on the A505 to Harwich I assume? Then as a schoolboy, used to finish helping the milkman and go out from the dairy in Hightown in Bedford KM’s. The driver, Paddy I think, had to be finished in time for the wrestling on World of Sport. Please keep the pics coming.

This is my (well works) vehicle.Ive just started working for a company from maulden.
Passed my class 2 just after lockdown and they were good enough to take me on as a fresh pass.
Worked for NMT for 17 years in their garage (as a mechanic).

Rich

Good Morning,
Thanks for all the posts please keep them coming…
I’ve still got loads of pics to add, hopefully wont get too samey!

Mum always moaned at dad for bringing rubbish home when on the waste job, then again he bought this home to Meppershall one day!

Terry Fossey of Clophill, was a nice truck until dad plowed a field with it! - complete write off
T45 roadtrain was the courtesy vehicle i believe!

unknown roadtrain from yard at Maulden, never did know who’s it was

More from yard @ Maulden in the 80’s - the owner & legend Herbert “Jack” Cole (renegade)

same yard again… Blue 142 was owned by a chap called Harold, sadly passed a long time ago. Unusual set up on the 142 for the time as most were rear tag axle?
112 I believe was owned by Richard Pinney

My little Daffodil @ the green welly cafe in need of a good wash
Too much muck on them old fen roads for my liking!!

A bad day for some poor chap @ Tarmac Ipswich depot, i was taught to load the black in the body rather than the roof!!
bet he was quite warm inside the cab with 300 degree tar on the roof! :slight_smile:

SHUNT1986:
My little Daffodil @ the green welly cafe in need of a good wash
Too much muck on them old fen roads for my liking!!

Some more of your motors here shunt. Nmp.

9B32A3CA-E12A-40B8-AE96-97D6CF334F36.jpeg