Bedford TM

[zb]
anorak:

Carryfast:
The Italian drawbar prime mover looks like it’s probably 8v92T 4400 spec there was also from memory a 3800 6v92T powered version all available to UK special order in the late 1970’s and more powerful than the later Silver series versions.All chassis of choice for truck racing and emergency vehicle manufacturers in the day and even 6 or 8v71 powered 4 or 6 wheeler rigids were quick. :wink: But not sure about 3 figures with a TM ? although might just have been possible with a 475 spec 8v92 in a tractor unit. :open_mouth:

We have covered this in other threads: The 6v92 ones only arrived with the 1982 Silver Series relaunch.
[/quote]
As I said there’s a big difference between what was shown on the production availability lists v what was available if you asked for it.8 wheeler chassis being one example.To my knowledge being special orders made by Bedford’s Tricentrol agents.I personally was involved with 92 series powered chassis in the late 1970’s and 1980.To the point of going to Tricentrol division to check on their build progress and their collection and testing when finished.While the 1982 Silver Series versions had no connection with those previously.So where was any 92 series shown in Bedford’s official UK availability listings before 1982 ?.Or for that matter any 8 wheeler chassis options ? again only being available to special order.

When we’ve already got a T reg example of a UK supplied 6v92 and a 1980 8v92 here on the site.But can’t find the 6v92 example and don’t remember where it was posted but its driver did say that it was a flying machine within its description.The fact is the 92 series was available in late 1970’s chassis but for ‘some’ reason Bedford/GM wanted to keep it under their hat.( Volvo would have hated it just like DAF would have hated a stroked TL13 development of the TL12 put under an MP SA 400 type knock off cab :bulb: ).

I wouldn’t call the narrow cab ‘poverty spec’ as many operators preferred a narrow cab for tipper work etc and (like Foden with their 3000 series) at least the option was on offer. The ones that I saw the inside of still looked a decently appointed and easily cleaned cab.

Pete.

DEANB:

Suedehead:
Can remember Anchor foods running a big fleet of Tms. Artics and 6 wheelers. The 4 wheelers were Kms
Never seen a photo of one on here though . . . Wonder if bubbs has any ? :slight_smile:
I drove a 16t Tm for a couple of years with the Bedford 500 engine. It was very long legged and had a Locomotors sleeper conversion.
Not a bad motor but not a patch on the FL6 that replaced it.

Here you go chap, Anchor. :wink:

Cheers Dean, cracking pic. One of the things I remember about the TM was the telescopic gear stick, they seemed to be about 3ft long.

Suedehead:
Cheers Dean, cracking pic. One of the things I remember about the TM was the telescopic gear stick, they seemed to be about 3ft long.

And the awful thick rubber gaiter for insulation which interfered with the shift quality of both Fuller and Spicer.

Brain Haualge

Carryfast:

Suedehead:

And the awful thick rubber gaiter for insulation which interfered with the shift quality of both Fuller and Spicer.

The only Tm I drove was a 16 tonner.
6 speed box

IIRC BOC Transhield had quite a few.
When I first started going abroad '79/80 there was an owner driver with a mauve ish TM with what he called a “Swiss spec” 430 hp which shaddowed our 330 horse F89’s!

gazzer:
IIRC BOC Transhield had quite a few.
When I first started going abroad '79/80 there was an owner driver with a mauve ish TM with what he called a “Swiss spec” 430 hp which shaddowed our 330 horse F89’s!

435 was always there with an injector change.475 probably would have been with a bit more work.From memory we rejected the F12 at the chassis test stage in favour of TM and V10 Merc.I think even the 6v92 ultimately providing more potential than the F12.Make no mistake Volvo saw a threat from both the GMC Astro and the TM and dealt with it.Just like DAF took out Leyland/AEC.

youtube.com/watch?v=c1fTNTwX76Y

grumpyken52:
I had a few laps of Millbrook in some of the development trucks .
Some of my mates were testing techies at the track so blagged a few trips in some weird and wonderful GM vehicles .
I do remember seeing three figure speeds on the high speed banking .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This may bring back some memories chap. :laughing:

Click on pages twice to read.

Te Bedford TM my dad drove for Maurice Bradley It was one of the first TM with a ■■■■■■■ E290

Side view . Sorry the picture quality was crap . Cheap camera and snow !

Sorry the picture quality was crap . Cheap camera and snow !
a wee tweak mercman123.
Oily

tm2.jpg

tm.jpg

Upton on Severn 2014.
Oily

Thanks to Len Rogers.
Oily

Snapped in UAE courtesy of Andrew Breeden.
Oily

Bedford UAE Andrew Breeden 26660923263_a648d1f3d3_AB k.jpg

In New Zealand thanks to NZ Car Freak, snapped 2014 and still earning.
Oily

oiltreader:
In New Zealand thanks to NZ Car Freak, snapped 2014 and still earning.
Oily

That looks brand new!!

My Drove this for a good while , He loved Driving for "The Paddy,s " both North & South and spent many yrs working for them . He worked in the Days in the South of Halal , Big Rig, Dublin Meat the list goes on . Ended his driving day with BET on Tankers . The thing could fly once he got it rolling and when he came home into the village you could hear it coming don,t think they like it thease days That’s the wife in it while dad chilled at home

One of three new Bedford TMs we put on the road about 1976-77 with 500 cu in engines. They ran on average about 20 ton GTW so at 26ton were over specified, however in the first three years we were plagued with minor problems and bought alternatives makes for tractor units. However as the years progressed they settled down so we then did buy an additional two used which were just over one years old, and reasonably priced

oiltreader:
Sorry the picture quality was crap . Cheap camera and snow !
a wee tweak mercman123.
Oily

Thanks for that Oily. I have also another connection with the TM . I passed my HGV in one . It was the narrow cabbed one . It had I think the Bedford 500 engine . It had a 6 speed synchronised box so it was easy to drive.