Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

My giddy aunt !!■■ NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1643569995789.jpg

Just a VAL chassis with a TK cab. Probably very steady on the road.

What engine’s in that, that requires a big radiator hanging off the front?

Star down under.:

Either the Leyland 0.400 or the Bedford 466 depending on when the chassis was built.

Pete.

windrush:

Star down under.:

Either the Leyland 0.400 or the Bedford 466 depending on when the chassis was built.

Pete.

Thanks windrush, neither of those motors normally had the radiator hanging out the front, when fitted to TKs, did they?

Star down under.:

windrush:

Star down under.:

Pete.

Thanks windrush, neither of those motors normally had the radiator hanging out the front, when fitted to TKs, did they?

No, but the VAL coach chassis that the cab is fitted to had a long front overhang so the chassis, engine and rad are as built but the cab isn’t!

Pete.

windrush:

Star down under.:

windrush:

Star down under.:

Pete.

No, but the VAL coach chassis that the cab is fitted to had a long front overhang so the chassis, engine and rad are as built but the cab isn’t!

Pete.

Cheers mate.

coomsey:

It’s not so much “what is it?” but “why?”

Answers on a postcard to…

cant imagine it would have been a pleasant environment inside the cab , engine’s got to intrude into the floor pan. i’ve seen better VAL conversions.

Rare one.? Loading in Lane End Brickworks, Buckley, think this was a York 3rd axle conversion? only as I have the plate nailed to the shed wall :open_mouth:

IMG_1348.JPG

NMP off FB

coomsey:
NMP off FB0

That little triangular badge, in the lower left of the grill said “by Bedford”, because nobody had heard of Isuzu. :laughing:

Star down under.:

coomsey:
NMP off FB0

That little triangular badge, in the lower left of the grill said “by Bedford”, because nobody had heard of Isuzu. :laughing:

This is a bit off-topic, but in the '90s Iveco TurboStars were sold here badged as Internationals, presumably cos no-one had heard of Iveco (there’s one still in action as a tipper where I live). It’s probably just as well Iveco swallowed Magirus-Deutz because I can’t imagine the reaction to that name here in Oz in the '80s. Nowadays, Deutz-Fahr (corrupted Ulm badge and all) tractors sell very well and Iveco-badged ACCOs still roam the streets picking up domestic waste…

I can’t keep track any more.

ParkRoyal2100:

Star down under.:

coomsey:
NMP off FB0

This is a bit off-topic, but in the '90s Iveco TurboStars were sold here badged as Internationals, presumably cos no-one had heard of Iveco (there’s one still in action as a tipper where I live). It’s probably just as well Iveco swallowed Magirus-Deutz because I can’t imagine the reaction to that name here in Oz in the '80s. Nowadays, Deutz-Fahr (corrupted Ulm badge and all) tractors sell very well and Iveco-badged ACCOs still roam the streets picking up domestic waste…

I can’t keep track any more.

Air cooled Magirus were well known in the '60s. My father-in-law drove one for a mob named Interport, in the early '70s.

ParkRoyal2100:

coomsey:

It’s not so much “what is it?” but “why?”

Answers on a postcard to…

Evidently, the Vehicle was a test rig for preproduction Bedford VAL coach chassis.
Dates from around 1961

steelboyf10:
Rare one.? Loading in Lane End Brickworks, Buckley, think this was a York 3rd axle conversion? only as I have the plate nailed to the shed wall :open_mouth:

Possibly York,Primrose was another. But Bedford’s partner was Reynolds Boughton for 6 wheeler’s.

Click on pages twice to read.

Interesting!

bedford 6x4 specifications.JPG
Does this mean that, on the 6x4 version and at road speed, only the middle axle was driven? Thanks.

Froggy55:
Interesting!

Does this mean that, on the 6x4 version and at road speed, only the middle axle was driven? Thanks.

I think it does, yes.

Froggy55:
Interesting!

The Eaton rear axles on our Sed Ak 400’s only drove on the 4th axle unless the diff lock was engaged, we couldn’t understand it at first as when the rear crown wheel shed it’s teeth (which happened a lot under warranty) the truck stopped! :laughing: Luckily by removing the inter axle propshaft and engaging diff lock we could usually drive them back to the workshop.

Pete.

Uruguay 2916