Bedford Lorries, you used to see them everywhere

[zb]
anorak:

Bewick:

[zb]
anorak:

newmercman:
I also had a drive in an Italian spec 4400, that was impressive, I can still hear the howling engine now, had a light load of groupage on, so it didn’t have to do any real work, but it was very fast all the same, until then the biggest thing I’d driven was a 2800 Daf, so 400hp was going to leave an impression :sunglasses:

I did try to buy a TM with an E290 ■■■■■■■■ it had a recent reman engine in it, but the bloke wanted a fortune for it, so never did that deal, I quite liked the look of them and as [zb] says, with a ■■■■■■■■ Fuller, Rockwell driveline and a decent size cab, there wasn’t anything bad about them :wink:

Maybe the sales back-up was considered to be inferior to that of ERF, SA et al, considering the perception of Bedford was as a supplier of vans and smaller lorries. Bewick might be able to expand on this, when he resurfaces.

I’ve just crawled out of the Black Lagoon,ooh! it’s bloody " taters" in that cave with only “H” and “Nosser” for company !! As far as I could re-call Anorak, by the time Bedford got their act to-gether with the,no doubt,fairly decent driveline you describe, it was too late but those TM’s weren’t such a good advert for a,shall we say, premium haulier.Well OK if you had a contract with GM hauling their spares( like SOM !) But otherwise the TM wasn’t up to the job when compared to Scanias and Volvos as well as the Sed/Atks and ERF’s.I’d tried a few demos from Sed/Atk and ERF trying to get me enthused about the E290,to no avail so I sure wasn’t going to give Bedfords a kick of the ball !!! Cheers Bewick.

Thank you Mr. Bewick. I’m surprised you did not take to the E290- it seemed to be the engine of the moment, in the late 1970s.

Aye,with a fuel tanker following it !!!You were lucky to get 6 mpg working them hard,same as all of our motors were worked ! Cheers Bewick.

Evening all, You know the Belgians, and the French loved them, those little TKs. Mid 70s, Dunstable was turning out circ 30000 chassis per year, about 10000 were going for export.
Tough little lorries, there was a rule that the profit in a"sticky deal", always ended up in a worn out TK of some sort! But you could always find a customer, (and a bit of profit)! I well remember having a batch of ex Dobson of Edinburgh KM units through my hands, worn was a mild description, the steering was a little like the Cutty Sark, around Cape Horn, and gear selection, a voyage of total mystery…with an unknown destination! But they sold, and everyone seemed happy with them.
Personally, I always thought that the TM tractor, (in ■■■■■■■ guise), was potentially a better vehicle than the Ford Transcontinental, but that potential was not ever fully realised. The final “developed” versions should have been where Bedford should have launched the range, not the end of it! Had it have been so, then I think the vehicle would have gained a real market presence. Why it did not, probably a lot to do with Dealer back up, coupled with a totally unsuited engine, for the UK market in the Detroit, plus the inevitable doubtful build quality. Why did this problem affect the “major” manufacturers so much? Bad management??
Yes, he relatively “small operator” driven market was good for GM, but as soon as fuel price climbed, those 400CVs became unmarketable part exchanges, in the Scania, and Volvo Dealers yards.
Would the TM have survived, had the synergy that was between Bedford and Leyland been allowed to develop, as both parties wished, and not foundered on the stupid gingoistic strains of keep Land Rover in “British” ownership. Coupled with an inept and disinterested Government, who simply could not see that a GM ownership of Leyland may have resulted in a better deal for the UK taxpayer, (and perhaps long term in the retention , even to today, of major truck manufacture in the UK…or perhaps not!!
Interesting to muse over is it not, I shall away to the Bollinger, to aid my musing, and raise a glass to those admirable machines from Bedford. Cheerio for now.

Sorry, silly old B…, I am, the relatively small operator driven market refered to above, was the Italian market.

Dennis, the problem with the E290s fuel consumption was really down to ■■■■■■■ in their wisdom failing to ensure the “tail off” on the revs above maximum torque did not “■■■■ fuel”. It did, and the engine gained a thirsty reputation. The only manufacturer who tamed this trait, was Berliet with the" maxi-couple design", but even that, driven with enthusiasm, could sink fuel!

And its so easy to say, “let it lug”, but there were operations, and terrain, where this was near impossible. It needed good driver education, particularly being so different to previous ■■■■■■■ products, and they were “meaty” old performers, that could make you quite exuberent!! Im thirsty, (over my rev limit), Cheerio for now.

I’ve asked before but will try again, does anybody have a 'photo of a Myer’s beds TK drawbar outfit?
Bernard

albion1938:
I’ve asked before but will try again, does anybody have a 'photo of a Myer’s beds TK drawbar outfit?
Bernard

Bedford TK Boxvan-bodied 4x2 Lorry Four-Wheeler Boxvan-bodied Drawbar Trailer Outfit LYP 695P
Myer’s Beds,Horatio Myers Ltd & Co.Ltd,London.

You might already be familar with the following lorry model:-
Bedford TK Twin Axle Short Rigid Box Van Lorry & Twin Axle Draw Bar Trailer
24001 - Myer’s Beds

Fleet No. 152 Registration LYP695P
Livery Maroon cab with black chassis and mudguards. Yellow boxvan bodies with cream roofs
Slogans Myer’s comfortable beds’ on boxvan bodys. ‘Horatio Myers & Co Ltd. Vauxhall Walk London SE11 5EN.’ address on cab doors
Notes Model has black plastic bull bars. Lorry box body carries ‘C2’ number while trailer carries ‘No. C4’
Issued July 1997 Range Commercial Series

modelbuszone.co.uk/efe/trucks/bed/24001.html

VALKYRIE.

I

Lawrence Dunbar:
0Not one of my fave motors, in fact we only ran it for less than a year, It was doing my head in with silly little faults that kept occuring, Regards Larry.

If this KM,Bedford had performed better we would have put an Eaton 2 Speed back axle into it, but I dont think It would have made any difference at all It was just a bad motor as far as we were concerened, Not a patch of the old S Type Eh , Regards Larry.

My first post on here and it had to be about Bedfords. I have been brought up on Bedfords, my Dad was a salesman and then MD of Vincent Greenhous in Hereford so there was no better range of trucks!!! Growing up in the early 80’s the TL and TM were the trucks of the time with the TM being my favourite. I was fortunate enough to sit in the Long Haul when it came to an open day at Hereford, as a 7 year old this was the best!!. He used to take me on demo runs now and again which was great especially when we went out in the V8 Detroit, the noise was epic and speed wasn’t too bad either. As I have grown older I can see that maybe they weren’t the best on the road at the time but they did a job and mostly did it well. I have driven lots of different Bedfords for work but not over great distances until this year. We rescued an old Km from Bulmers Cider last year and did him up and I came up with the bright idea of doing a charity road trip to Herefords twin towns ( Dillenburg in Germany and Vierzon in France) and the Heineken Museum in Amsterdam ( owners of bulmers). 1600 miles in nine days at 40 mph. Not everyones cup of tea but I have to say one of the best things I have ever done. Boris (the trucks nickname) was a star. Having not moved for about 5 years, he went straight through his MOT and trundled around Europe like a little trooper. My memories of Bedfords…all good!!!

One of the first trucks i ever had the pleasure to drive was a TK-BEDFORD special made body huge bulk for carrying beds and mattreses…looked like a furniture removers truck but longer, night out in the bloody thing was ok in summer but no night heater for winter…i had to sleep accross the seats gear stick shoved forward and some bed sponge in the gap to make it more comfy.other smaller chaps made there bed up on the back shelf ! , i had some realy cold nights up in north and Scotland i used to leave the engine running all night and still woke up with thick ice on the inside of the windows…get out and get me a good breakfast and on my way again…cant imagine young lads today having any of that. :slight_smile:

Bedford Lorries,Motorcoaches,Buses and Vans.TruckNetUK.
PART 1,PAGE 3.

Generally speaking,Bedford was in the standard quality league,compared to the high quality
league marques such as AEC,Scania,Foden and Atkinson - these were designed for longer service lives and heavier weights - BUT,some Bedfords soldierd on way beyond on their normal service lives :slight_smile: .
I once overheard a schoolboy motor vehicle enthusiast remark to a friend that “Bedfords are tinny and sound as though their falling to bits”.This was in the 1980s,so he was referring to Bedford TKs,etc.And I agreed with him,but it doesn’t mean to say that Bedfords were no good:They were good :slight_smile: .
The following photographs will bring back a lot of happy memories :smiley: …either seeing,riding on, and/or driving these Bedfords in Civvy Street and/or in the military and at historic motor vehicle rallies :smiley: .
This is my salute to Bedford motor vehicles,with,hopefully,some interesting comments -personel,
historical,factual,informative,etc :slight_smile: .It does not document every model of Bedford motor vehicle.
My favourite Bedford vans,lorries,motorcoaches and buses are:-

Bedford HC/JC/PCV Van NUO 497,1947-1952:-
flickr.com/photos/fryske/4696969950/

A relative of mine learnt to drive and passed his driving test driving one of these,he said that it was a good vehicle to drive :slight_smile: .

Bedford CA Van 857 JOA,1952-1969:-
flickr.com/photos/22009880@N06/3006161506

Very popular as Vans,Ice Cream Vans and Dormobile Camping Motor Homes :slight_smile: .

The Bedford marque started production in 1931,and it’s lorry,bus and motorcoach range was the W-
Series for most of the 1930s decade:-
WS 30 Cwt,1932-1939.

WHG Short Wheelbase 2-Ton,1931-1939.

WLG Long Wheelbase 2-Ton,1931-1939.

WTH Short Wheelbase 3-ton,1934-1939.

WTL Long Wheelbase 3-Ton,1934-1939.

WHB Motorcoach/Bus 14-Seat Model,1931-1933.

WLB Motorcoach/Bus 20-Seat Model,1931-1935.

WTB Motorcoach/Bus 26-Seat Model,1935-1939.
NOTE:Some Bedford lorry models were also bodied as buses and motorcoaches.

The Bedford 27 HP Petrol Engine of 44 BHP was the standard engine,which was uprated to 57 BHP and
then to 64 BHP.This engine was replaced by the new Bedford 28 HP 72 BHP Petrol Engine in 1938,which went on to power the new K,M and O range from 1939.
The 30 Cwt and 2-ton models were re-styled with the 3-ton models 1934 styling in that year,and in
1938 the whole range was re-styled with the front end styling and radiator grille of the later
K,M and O models which replaced the W-Series in 1939.But the 1934 style cab was retained - this
cab was replaced on the K,M and O models with a smoother,curvier and streamlined cab.

Bedford WS 30 Cwt Dropside 4x2 Lorry UG 1223 1932 W Robinson Leyburn
flickr.com/photos/homer----s … 441715714/

Bedford WS 30 Cwt Van-bodied 4x2 Lorry CLB 311 1935
flickr.com/photos/preservedt … 211390173/

Bedford WS 30 Cwt Dropside 4x2 Lorry FRJ 104 1938
flickr.com/photos/austin7nut/4384574935/

Bedford WHG 2-Ton SWB 4x2 Breakdown Lorry AKP 213 1933
flickr.com/photos/homer----s … 472981072/

Bedford WLG/Vincent Horse Box VN 9729 1937
Parked next to Foden S39 Sabrina Foden 4AXB6/32 4x2 Showmans Ballast Road Locomotive,UUJ 664J,1971:-
rides.webshots.com/photo/1078665 … 0927NIpojk

Bedford WLG/Duple or Harrington Pump Escape Fire Engine ELG 479 1937
fire-engine-photos.com/pictu … r13155.asp

Bedford WLG 2-Ton LWB Flat-bodied 4x2 Lorry - with a differance:It has an Australian Holden
pressed steel cab and was assembled by General Motors Holden in 1938:-
truck-photos.net/picture/number870.asp

Bedford WTL 3-Ton LWB Dropside 4x2 Lorry - a portrait-painting of one in a wonderfully evocative circa 1934 Bedford advertisement:-
flickr.com/photos/mr-bg/4940704237/

Bedford WTL 3-Ton LWB Dropside 4x2 Lorry AOY 372 1934 Hall and Company
flickr.com/photos/tipperman/8043742227/

Bedford WTL/Duple B20F Bus YS 3611 1936
flickr.com/photos/dscn8785/4597984587/

Bedford WTH/Scammell 4x2 Boxvan-bodied Articulated Lorry of 1938 with the K,M and O-Series styling
This had an unusual High Tower Double Cab for added crew accomodation,and was operated by
Guest, Wood and Ling Ltd., of Bristol, Bath and London.
historicroadways.co.uk/k-004.htm

Bedford WTB/Willmott C20F Motorcoach AJT 176 of 1939
flickr.com/photos/gezzasgallery/5993659921/

Bedford W-Series Motorcoach and Bus history and information:-
wakefieldfiles.co.uk/Bedford-Wseries.htm

Now when I was kid in the 1960s I was quite familiar with all post 1938 Bedford motor vehicles.
But I had to wait until the 1970s when I saw my first Bedford W-Series lorry in the flesh-metal! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
…as far as I can remember…and this turned out to be the Bedford WTL Breakdown
Lorry of 1937 of H.Askey Transport,Sheffield :slight_smile: :-

Bedford WTL 3-Ton 4x2 Breakdown Lorry 1937 Arundel Motors Ltd (H Askey) 296 Middlewood Road
Sheffield,from page 45 of Heritage Commercials,August,2010. H Askey Transport Livesey Street
Sheffield South Yorkshire S6 2BL.I well remember this 1937 Bedford WTL and had a good look at it several times,and I’m delighted to know that it’s being restored :smiley: :-
gb.zinio.com/page/;jsessionid=7F … =45&acf=PG

Does anyone know it’s registration? Please. Thanks.

THINGS TO COME* - IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.
(*With thanks to H.G.Wells :slight_smile: .)

Listed below is Bedford’s new lorry,motorcoach and bus range for 1939 et seq that replaced the
W-Series range.World War Two started on Sunday,3rd September,1939,and the last photograph of a
Bedford W-Series in this Post is of an iconic motor vehicle of the Homefront in Great Britain
during World War Two 1939-1945 :slight_smile: :-

Bedford WLG AFS Heavy Pump Unit Fire Engine FYH 104 of 1939 Auxiliary Fire Service
Note the Fire Engine Enthusiast dressed in period AFS uniform and metal helmet standing behind the right hand side of the cab.Altogether a wonderfully evocative sight and sound,which brings
back bitter-sweet memories of The Blitz which is part of a fascinating period of Modern
British History :slight_smile: :-
flickr.com/photos/23875695@N06/5693970339/

All we want now is to listen to the delightfully eerie and beautiful musical sound of a British Home Office Standard Design 1938-1945 Carter Gents of Leicester Tangent Air Raid Siren! :exclamation: :smiley: :-

youtube.com/watch?v=erMO3m0oLvs

airraidsirens.com/forums/vie … 5fc96becd0

geocities.ws/foxeye121/sirens.htm

I’ve actually operated a hand-cranked version of the Gents Tangent Air Raid Siren - it’s exciting
great fun! :exclamation: :smiley:

Bedford K 30-40 Cwt,1939-1953.

Bedford M 2-3 Ton,1939-1953.

Bedford O 3-5 Ton Rigid,1939-1953

Bedford OSS/Scammell 6- 8 Ton Tractive Unit,1939-1953.

Bedford OB Motorcoach/Bus,1939;1945-1951.

Bedford OWB Wartime Utility Bus,1942-1945.
All had the same styling,but the O models had shorter bonnets - and were the best looking! :exclamation: :smiley:

PART TWO OF Bedford Lorries,Motorcoaches,Buses and Vans WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY :slight_smile: .

VALKYRIE.

and this is mine,my 4old in the nabo,s bedford,standing on the floor to see out,cheers benkku

here are 3 from among the many TK’s that my dad ran over the years.
CRC429J pictured in frejus south of france after a 30mph jog from wellingborough with 2 mobile homes
NUK385E about to do the wellingborough parade , another regular on the south of france run even though it only had a 300cu engine
WBN995 leyland engine 5 speed box and 70+ on the motorway.
he loved TK’s as there was a lot of swapability in them , leyland engine for a bedford engine , 4 to a 5 speed box, put a 2 speed axle in etc
he ran rigid boxvans on parcels , extended beaver tail with a drawbar trailer on mobile homes and artics on both parcels and mobile homes.
his favourite combo would be a leyland 375 + 4 speed box and 2 speed axle.i started driving on the TK’s and was great motor to start on , although having to drive a 30mph drawbar TK to Frejus instead of my volvo f86 was a bit hard.

PART 2,PAGE 3.

Bedford K 30-40 Cwt Dropside 4x2 Lorry GCA 430
flickr.com/photos/homer----s … 135530993/

Bedford M 2-3 Ton Dropside 4x2 Lorry MKK 217
flickr.com/photos/16797800@N07/7968977800/

Bedford O 3-5 Ton Flat-bodied 4x2 Lorry NVT 794
Shirley’s Transport.
flickr.com/photos/62603704@N05/7164097360/

Bedford 0 3-5 Ton 4x2 Lorry - an Australian version with another GM-Holden cab:-
transportcafe.co.uk/travel_m … ralian.jpg

Bedford OSS/Scammell 4x2 Articulated Mobile Staff Canteen JXC 2 London Transport 702B London
Greenline
flickr.com/photos/23875695@N06/6159537344/
This model was developed with Scammell Lorries Ltd.

Now as far as I am concerned,the Bedford O Type was the archetypal British 3-5 Ton Lorry in
the early post war years.They were mainly petrol-engined,but some were fitted with rattley
Perkins diesel engines.What these four models had in common was the silky smooth,beautiful
sounding and designed Bedford 28 HP Petrol Engine,which had a lot in common with the
General Motors Chevrolet Cast Iron Wonder Stovebolt Six Engine - six cylinder engines for the
great Vauxhall motorcar models,such as the Velox and Cresta,were based on this Chevrolet engine.
All of this isn’t suprising since Bedford was a division of General Motors Corporation.

Another distinctive feature of pre war and post war Bedfords were the beautiful musical whining
sounds of their gearboxes,which was caused by the use of straight-cut gears. This “gear music”
was not unique:Models of other marques,such as Austin,White and so on made the same musical
sounds :smiley: .

Another classic Bedford O Type model is the legendary OB Motorcoach - especially the OB/Duple
Vista Motorcoach version,thousands of which gave pristine service to their owners for years and
years in to the 1960s and 1970s.In fact,many preserved examples are now working on Heritage
Motorcoach and Bus work :slight_smile: .

Bedford OB/Duple Vista Motorcoach HOT 339
flickr.com/photos/16797800@N07/7381448836/

Bedford OB and OWB Motorcoach and Bus history and information:-
wakefieldfiles.co.uk/Bedford-ob.htm

In fact,many Bedford O Type,K and M lorries remained in service during the 1960s,and some
worked in the 1970s. And I recall a petrol Bedford M Type still working in the 1980s! :exclamation: :slight_smile:
Many of these great Bedford’s are now preserved :smiley: .

Dinky Models 410 Bedford End Tipper - I use to have one of these yellow and blue Dinky
Bedford O-Type 4x2 Tipper Lorries…and I intend to get another one :slight_smile: :-
nigelsworld.homeip.net/diecast/d … reID=26763

During World War Two production of Bedford’s civilian models ceased until around May 1945,
while Bedford concentrated production on military vehicles,tank engines,etc.However,Bedford
did produce at least two wartime civilian utility models:-

Bedford OWB Bus CPT 200
flickr.com/photos/28439790@N03/5770117309/

Bedford OW 5- Ton 4x2 Lorry FDD 428,with the standard military pattern front end and is identical
to the military OY
flickr.com/photos/homer----s … 426354062/

Bedford OY 3-Ton 4x2 Lorry COS 727
flickr.com/photos/old_motors/4571948528/

The OY was an official and proper British WD = War Department military vehicle,and so were
these:-
Bedford MW 15 Cwt 4x2 Lorry 849 XUR
flickr.com/photos/buzzer999/5696727299/

Bedford OXD 30 Cwt 4x2 Lorry GMO 768
flickr.com/photos/pyewipe-jct/5939270711/

Bedford OXC 6-Ton 4x2 Tractive Unit/Tasker Queen Mary Aeroplane Transporter LSU 548
ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p59520273 … #h25723d3e

And there were some other lesser known models,but possiably the most famous WW2 military
Bedford of them all is the legendary QL 3-Ton 4x4.This,and the equivalent 4x4 3- ton lorries
such as the Austin K5 “Screamer”,Albion FT11N and Fordson WOT6,were important Motor Transport
Vehicles of the British military.

Bedford QL 3-Ton 4x4 Lorry JSU 141
flickr.com/photos/old_motors/4233026191/

So impressed were the British War Department - Ministry of Defence with the Bedford QL,that they
operated large numbers of the QL’s post war successor,the RL 3-4.5-Ton 4x4 Lorry,QV

But it must be mentioned that many wartime Bedfords were demobbed and gave great service to their
civilian owners in all kinds of roles :slight_smile: :-
Bedford MW Tipper Lorry FSV 394
ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p10303782 … #h35644917

Bedford MW 4x2 Breakdown Lorry GKS 121
flickr.com/photos/48950471@N02/6057197022

Bedford OY 4x2 Flat-bodied Lorry 242 XUP
flickr.com/photos/21667585@N03/7158380980/

Bedford OY 4x2 Airfield Fire Crash Fire Engine AY 785
flickr.com/photos/48950471@N02/6057197022

Bedford QL 4x4 Breakdown Lorry XSU 474
flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/6902180603/

Bedford QL Luton Van-bodied 4x4 Fairground Lorry JAD 902
flickr.com/photos/beerdave1745/5897505113/

Bedford QL Luton Van-bodied 4x4 Fairground Lorry JGF 492 MY LOVE
Smith’s Amusements Doncaster
flickr.com/photos/67384646@N … 234733@N22

Dinky Models 623 Bedford QL Covered Fixedside
4x4 British Army Lorry…I use to have one of these,and I intend to get another example :slight_smile: :-
nigelsworld.homeip.net/diecast/d … reID=26763

PART THREE OF Bedford Lorries,Motorcoaches,Buses and Vans WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY :slight_smile: .

VALKYRIE.

I regularly used to take a full load of apples from Gloucestershire to Edinburgh & Glasgow with an S-type (330) in the second half of the 1960s. Biggest drawback was that the guvnor had the thing governed to 40mph for a previous driver! Mod cons consisted of my father’s old Civil Defence-issue overcoat which went around my legs in an attempt to reduce the draught and a valve radio cadged from my cousin which had to be mounted on the rear cab wall next to my left ear!
Despite these niggles the old girl looked a treat when polished with a pair of foglamps mounted under the bumper & a pair of spotlamps above it.
The only time she ever let me down was when a fan blade broke off & threw itself through the radiator on the way to Sheffield fruit market at about four in the (icy cold) morning.
And talking of fan blades, does anyone know if it was a common fault with Bedfords? I remember having quite a shock when a blade came through the bonnet in front of my eyes when riding shotgun in an A-model petrol.

TRAILERS1:

like this very much.read an article in one of the classic mags about it a while back.looks superb!

Retired Old ■■■■:
I regularly used to take a full load of apples from Gloucestershire to Edinburgh & Glasgow with an S-type (330) in the second half of the 1960s. Biggest drawback was that the guvnor had the thing governed to 40mph for a previous driver! Mod cons consisted of my father’s old Civil Defence-issue overcoat which went around my legs in an attempt to reduce the draught and a valve radio cadged from my cousin which had to be mounted on the rear cab wall next to my left ear!
Despite these niggles the old girl looked a treat when polished with a pair of foglamps mounted under the bumper & a pair of spotlamps above it.
The only time she ever let me down was when a fan blade broke off & threw itself through the radiator on the way to Sheffield fruit market at about four in the (icy cold) morning.
And talking of fan blades, does anyone know if it was a common fault with Bedfords? I remember having quite a shock when a blade came through the bonnet in front of my eyes when riding shotgun in an A-model petrol.

Ran Bedfords for years, we must have discovered every weak point, but I can only remember one fan blade failure, on a 330 TK. How the blade escaped without causing any further damage, I will never know, but it was foung 40 yards from the road, weeks later.
Peter

That’s exactly my point- I never had another fan blade break in almost 50 years driving all sorts of machinery. Anyone else have this problem?

PART 3,PAGE 3.

THE BEDFORD-SCAMMELL-WILLENHALL CAB.

Just before we leave the 1939-1953 era,Scammell Lorries of Watford bought the rights-license
to manufacture and use the Bedford K,M,O Cab from Bedford in 1949.The cab,which was largely
made by Willenhall Engineering,was adapted and modified to fit several Scammell lorry models,
such as the Scarab,Mountaineer and Constructor.Indeed,this cab suited Scammell lorry models
very well and added to the artistic beauty of them :smiley: - especially to the Mountaineer and
Constructor :smiley: …And when they were fitted with the Tropical Sun Visor they were even more
attractive! :exclamation: :smiley: :-
Scammell Constructor FV12101 Ballast Box-bodied 6x6 Road Locomotive PSU 439 ARDENT Ex-British Army.
Beautiful looking lorry :smiley:
flickr.com/photos/47995614@N04/6975380803/

From 1953 to 1957 Bedford produced the Bedford TA Series A5 Lorry range,this normal control
range is better known as the A Type,which was replaced by the similar TD D Type,which in turn
was soon replaced by TJ models in 1958,and these were produced in the United Kingdom for both the
UK and export markets until 1975.Thereafter it was built for export only,until 1986.AWD then produced it as the TJ2,and Marshalls of Cambridge also produced the TJ2 until at least 1999,who had purchased the assets of AWD in 1992,QV.

Bedford A Type 4-5 Ton Flat-bodied 4x2 Lorry KNT 395
flickr.com/photos/byjr/6013692143/

Bedford D Type 4-5 Ton Dropside 4x2 Lorry DHQ 019 Malta
flickr.com/photos/42588702@N … 84112@N04/

Bedford TJ 4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle PSJ 693
flickr.com/photos/20987962@N03/2223614452

Bedford TJ - J5 - chassis were the basis of many forward control fire engines,many of which had
HCB-Angus bodywork and equipment,and most if not all were petrol-engined -my Dad’s Bedford TJ-J5
Fire Engine was virtually identical to this:-
Bedford TJ-J3,HCB-Angus Pump Escape Fire Engine 4539 PX 1960 West Sussex
flickr.com/photos/british_fi … 754381421/

In 1950 Bedford introduced the great forward control S-Type “Big Bedford” Lorry range,which,as in
the TA range,was available with petrol and diesel engine options.In the case of the S-Type:
Bedford petrol,Perkins and later Bedford and Leyland diesel engines.NOTE:Some Bedfords were also
fitted with Gardner Diesel Engines.

Bedford S- Type Big Bedford 7-Ton Flat-bodied 4x2 Lorry NYV 634
flickr.com/photos/albertsbite/4185010663/

In 1956 the Bedford S-Type was revised,and an identification feature was the wiremesh grille at
utmost top part of the radiator grille.

Bedford S-Type Big Bedford 7-Ton Dropside-bodied 4x2 Lorry DSJ 429
flickr.com/photos/carrickman/6606411867/

From 1956 the forward control Bedford C4 4-Ton,C5 5-Ton and C6 6-Ton 4x2 Lorry models were
introduced,which were derived from the S-Type.

Bedford C-Type C4,or C5,or C6 Covered Dropside-bodied 4x2 Lorry 178 FJH
flickr.com/photos/45676495@N05/7697521982/

Dinky Models 522 / 922 / 408 Big Bedford Lorry - I use to have a maroon and sandy coloured
Bedford S-Type Big Bedford 7-Ton Dropside-bodied 4x2 Lorry…and I intend to get another
one :smiley: :-
nigelsworld.homeip.net/diecast/d … tureID=478

In 1960 The S and C-Types were replaced by the forward control Bedford TK Lorry range.
Although it was not a tilt cab design,it was probably the nearest and next best thing to a tilt
cabbed lorry,because the engine,on account of it being setback,was easy to get access to in
conjunction with the hinged side panel-bonnets which were positioned behind the doors of the cab.
The design offered great access to the engine for servicing,etc.

Bedford TK Dropside-bodied 4x2 Lorry 000 885
flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3832321249/

Bedford’s made good fire engines…and I should know! :exclamation: :slight_smile: :-

Bedford TK HCB Angus Fire Engine LFW 598V 1980
flickr.com/photos/45676495@N05/6807386800/
Formerly of the Lincolnshire Fire Service

Some of them had Rolls-Royce B-Series Petrol Engines.

The ultimate Bedford TK Lorry:-

Bedford TK Dropside-bodied Rigid 8x2 or 8x4 Eight-Wheeler Lorry KNL 659E
R C Jeffrey & Sons Transport Contractors Stratford On Avon
flickr.com/photos/welshharlequin/5182317336/

flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/3832321249/

In 1966 Bedford introduced the heavyweight KM Lorry range,and one of the later versions was the
32-Ton Tractive Unit-Artic,powered by a Detroit 6V-71 Two Stroke Diesel Engine.

Bedford KM 4x2 Flat-bodied Articulated Lorry WFE 711M
Knowles Transport.
flickr.com/photos/47995614@N04/5799417620/

Bedford KM 4x2 Heavy Recovery Vehicle TKL 998N
BOC Transheild.
flickr.com/photos/47995614@N04/7771779220/

The Bedford SB,introduced in 1950,was the motorcoach,bus and fire engine derivative of the
S-Type,and development of this range mirrored that of the S-Type and had the same engine
options:Bedford petrol,Perkins,Bedford and Leyland diesel engines.The SB was produced until
1973.NOTE:Some Bedfords were also fitted with Gardner Diesel Engines.

Bedford SB/Duple Super Vega Motorcoach 558 FBF
flickr.com/photos/andysbusphotos/8003558328/

Bedford SB Motorhome EL 2828 in Greymouth West Coast New Zealand,beautiful and artistic in a
beautiful blue :slight_smile: :-
travellerhomes.co.uk/?p=6556

Bedford SB Special Pump Escape Fire Engine LVP 118 1952
Birmingham Fire And Ambulance Service
bammot.org.uk/vehicles/vlvp118.asp

PART FOUR OF Bedford Lorries,Motorcoaches,Buses and Vans WILL FOLLOW SHORTLY :slight_smile: .

VALKYRIE.

Please excuse my remarks , Bedfords went downhill In my opinion when they stoped the making of their S Type model, the ones that followed the useless under powered TK With its transmition hand brake, Its a good job there were no MOTS In those days, They were a complete dissaster in my book, I drove one of them 726 NVK, For Baxters Road Services Quayside Newcastle on Tyne, The useless things nearley skint the poor bloke, Head gaskets, gear boxes, transmission problems to name just a few, & not good on fuel, the only good thing the TK Had was a good cab heater, the rest of it was total crap. The brakes were, ■■? What bloody brakes Eh, Im sure there must be a lot of old time drivers that had some white knuckle rides when going over Shap Eh, Regards Larry.

My mate Arthur Lowdon at Seaton Burn ran a lot Bedfords, Even before the war his father Geo Lowdon was a Bedford man, They ran quite a lot of Ex WD Bedfords on the opencast coal jobs in the area, Its now called surface mining, Anyway Arthur ran some S types for a long time and Ive only heard good reports from him as to the durabiltey of these motors, This was one of his in the 50s driven by his younger brother Geo, who is now long retired of course, An A Type with heavey duty rear springs & an Eaton two speed axle, Regards Larry.