Barron Wood rate increase

Andrey1:

alix776:

Andrey1:
Barron Wood increased their rate from 1.40 to 1.50 for every mile average 1500mile/week. Here is the deal;

We are now looking for long term dedicated hauliers to add to our core fleet department. We can provide work 12 months of the year. If you provide a vehicle before Christmas we will keep you in work through January and February 2018 during the known quiet months.

To work dedicated for us your goods in transit must state RHA6500 PER TON WORDED ‘IN RESPECT OF BARRONWOOD DISTRIBUTION LTD’.

If you can provide us with a tramper driver that can night out 4 nights a week on general haulage please do not hesitate to contact me on the below e mail or telephone number.

All our work is with a taut liner requires 12 ratchet straps and full PPE equipment.

We offer trailer hire at £100.00 per week plus Vat and offer a 7 day payment with no deductions paid via BACS with production of a invoice and proof of deliveries.

Our current rates are we that we work to is £1.50 per mile empty and loaded.

Ideally we will take any driver of any nationality but does need to understand site rules, health and safety rules and can speak English.

Not worth it financially very very tight profit wise even with a truck that’s paid for

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

how did you calculate if it’s worth it or not?

You are lucky if get £2225 before TAX, we no. Too many waiting time that is not paid in good rate.
Now about how much leave we have:expenses no only fuel, insurance and hire or own truck/trailer - what about other expenses such: operate center cost, transport manager and accouter fees if you need to have their, any toll roads/tunnels/bridges and other small relevant spending that accumulate,unfortunately, to not small money .

inga2018. I don’t understand what point you are trying to make, twice, with exactly the same grammatically terrible post.

Are you saying you have done it and not been able to make it pay? Are you saying that you know from reliable sources that they don’t pay waiting time?

I did it for just over three months and in that time the only month I didn’t at least break even was February. I actually made a £150 profit in January, which is about a grand better than I was expecting. So while I am sure your points are a lot better reasoned than they are communicated, I am not sure they are 100% valid.

As for the before tax bit, are you talking about VAT or Corporation Tax/Income Tax? Because if you are VAT registered, which at £2225 a week you are legally required to be, VAT doesn’t matter, you think pre-VAT because you claim back any VAT you spend out. Corporation tax is only paid on annual profit, so if £2225 a week isn’t enough to break even, you don’t get a tax bill at the end of the year. Same with income tax if you are running as a Sole Trader or Partnership, (I shudder at the thought but know of several fleets of 18+ that are sole traders!) You only pay tax if money in exceeds money out.

nsmith1180:
inga2018. I don’t understand what point you are trying to make, twice, with exactly the same grammatically terrible post.

Are you saying you have done it and not been able to make it pay? Are you saying that you know from reliable sources that they don’t pay waiting time?

I did it for just over three months and in that time the only month I didn’t at least break even was February. I actually made a £150 profit in January, which is about a grand better than I was expecting. So while I am sure your points are a lot better reasoned than they are communicated, I am not sure they are 100% valid.

As for the before tax bit, are you talking about VAT or Corporation Tax/Income Tax? Because if you are VAT registered, which at £2225 a week you are legally required to be, VAT doesn’t matter, you think pre-VAT because you claim back any VAT you spend out. Corporation tax is only paid on annual profit, so if £2225 a week isn’t enough to break even, you don’t get a tax bill at the end of the year. Same with income tax if you are running as a Sole Trader or Partnership, (I shudder at the thought but know of several fleets of 18+ that are sole traders!) You only pay tax if money in exceeds money out.

Scrap that. I’ve asked in PM.

Steve H:

nsmith1180:

Scrap that. I’ve asked in PM.

o,i am apologized about my grammatically terrible post.
I just tell about job, but If you are able to help to improve my grammar I would be only grateful :slight_smile:

basic rate £2225 excl VAT

EXPENSES.
fuel £1000
rent of vehicle £365
rent of trailer £100 (if not own)
transport manager fee £30
bookkeeper £35
operate center £40
driver fee £550-600
insurance £152

• other small miscellaneous expenses

I just tell about my expenses and my profit.

Markyboy1008:
Common sense and very little calculations will tell you that its not worth it!

It would be bad enough if you owned a truck, let alone having to take on a lease hire.
Good luck to anyone who is going to take this on. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I totally agree

nsmith1180:

150 quid profit sounds like one for dragons den with a whopping profit like that

kr79:

nsmith1180:

150 quid profit sounds like one for dragons den with a whopping profit like that

:frowning:

inga2018:

kr79:

nsmith1180:

With the horror stories you hear about work immediately after Christmas I was expecting to make a loss in January. Over the whole year on projections it would balance out into an overall profit.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

inga2018:

kr79:

nsmith1180:

With the horror stories you hear about work immediately after Christmas I was expecting to make a loss in January. Over the whole year on projections it would balance out into an overall profit.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

now is April- income per week still is £2020-2135

Ive been thinking about buying my own motor but after reading this Im having second thoughts. The company I worked for were paying a sub contractor on a day rate @ £650 per day 5 days a week averaging 5 loads per day 34 mile round trip . Sort of puts it into perspective doesn`t it ? :wink:

ramone:
Ive been thinking about buying my own motor but after reading this Im having second thoughts. The company I worked for were paying a sub contractor on a day rate @ £650 per day 5 days a week averaging 5 loads per day 34 mile round trip . Sort of puts it into perspective doesn`t it ? :wink:

sweet…

and what company is that you worked for?

“This is my basic calculation;
1500 miles/w * 1.50£ = 2250£
Fuel 8mpg (0.95 + vat )will cost around 1000£/w / so monthly after fuel left 5000£“

you can only do these calculations if Barronwood guarantees 1500 miles/week no matter what

if not, you are not left with £5000 a month and therefore your calculations are wrong

Thats the issue with ppm stuff, and i doubt bwd pay demurrage.

If theres plenty of miles and a bit of demurrage it wouldnt be to bad. But from what it sounds like there is neither.

Concretejim:

If theres plenty of miles and a bit of demurrage it wouldnt be to bad. But from what it sounds like there is neither.

the demurrage that BWD pay for on average is in 3 out of 10 cases.

rather that that, they get their job done and don’t give a @¥#% about us.

himenator:

Concretejim:

As you said “ **** about us “ I assume you are their subbie, if so what’s your weekly mileage? I believe 1500 miles is quiet easy to cover in 5 days, and depends workload may be more miles or less if long waiting between loads. But also can get a weekend driver for traction work to increase truck’s earning

Andrey1:

himenator:

Concretejim:

As you said “ **** about us “ I assume you are their subbie, if so what’s your weekly mileage? I believe 1500 miles is quiet easy to cover in 5 days, and depends workload may be more miles or less if long waiting between loads. But also can get a weekend driver for traction work to increase truck’s earning

“us”, I meant subbies, generally speaking. About taking a driver for weekend, with the diesel and weekend rate you have to pay the driver there is not much left in the pot.

I reckon break even at present is £1.06 per mile on a newish truck if you look at the RHA guide and factor in the at present fuel cost , so if you are paying a driver the return is non existent ! If you are the driver it may break even if the miles are low enough but why would you want to do this for sod all profit. Rather sit at home !