Barnfather & Wilkes

PTrevillion:
My dad started out with a Volvo F7 & then he was next in line to get a new truck so he jumped over the F10 version & got himself an FL10. Barnfathers had the exhaust stack moved from the rear of the cab to underneath the front bumper at the cost of thousands, all because they didnt want the top of the white curtainsiders. It was later found out that the top of the stack could be turned to face away from the trailer, which meant you didnt need to relocate the stack.

I would of loved to have followed in my dads footsteps & became a truck driver but sadly that wasnt the case…my folks sat me down in the Fleming pub & categorically said no & I had to go to uni…so I did! I still would love to drive & will one day take my class-1 test!

hiya,
Very interesting young Mr P Trevillion but just remember the job isn’t as
romantic as a “young fellah” travelling about with Dad and the job isn’t a
patch on what it was when he was behind the wheel and I bet he would
tell you that himself, get yourself a class 1 by all means but just use it as
a string in your bow, if I was starting out again lorry driving would be the
last on my list of jobs to seek.
thanks harry, long retired.

Harry you are so right, they have never stop treating us like s{zb}te. Same old roads and grey back doors. “Your late driv” or “Your early driv” and at the end of a very long day “You cant park here driv”.

harry_gill:

PTrevillion:
My dad started out with a Volvo F7 & then he was next in line to get a new truck so he jumped over the F10 version & got himself an FL10. Barnfathers had the exhaust stack moved from the rear of the cab to underneath the front bumper at the cost of thousands, all because they didnt want the top of the white curtainsiders. It was later found out that the top of the stack could be turned to face away from the trailer, which meant you didnt need to relocate the stack.

I would of loved to have followed in my dads footsteps & became a truck driver but sadly that wasnt the case…my folks sat me down in the Fleming pub & categorically said no & I had to go to uni…so I did! I still would love to drive & will one day take my class-1 test!

hiya,

Wrinkly:
Harry you are so right, they have never stop treating us like s{zb}te. Same old roads and grey back doors. “Your late driv” or “Your early driv” and at the end of a very long day “You cant park here driv”.

harry_gill:

PTrevillion:

hiya,

wrinkley !!,you met that bloke aswell !!!

Don’t worry, there’s cat in hell’s chance of me becoming a truck driver for a full time job…I have a young family & work as a datacoms engineer.
I was merely reminicising about trucking with my dad. I will get my class-1 but will use it for personal use to transport banger racing cars about.
Saddened to hear the job isn’t what it use to be like!

PTrevillion:
Don’t worry, there’s cat in hell’s chance of me becoming a truck driver for a full time job…I have a young family & work as a datacoms engineer.
I was merely reminicising about trucking with my dad. I will get my class-1 but will use it for personal use to transport banger racing cars about.
Saddened to hear the job isn’t what it use to be like!

Well said Brisca f1 man.

PTrevillion:
The Dennis Trevillion mentioned through this thread is definitely alive & kicking, albeit retired…I know this as he is my dad!! I loved being with dad in the yard & out n about on the road…my favourite cafe was Mickleover (forget the name now) but I know its not there anymore, its a housing estate now!

I mentioned to dad that I had found this post about Barnfathers & he definitely remembers Eric Moody & Joe Bladden.
He managed to get me some photos of the trucks & workers of Barnfathers which I will try upload to this post.

great pix , thanks so much , the pic with your da on the right , the bloke on the left with the sideburns is my uncle bob [bobby boad]

the blokes are right about the job , i remember happy days being cab happy kid , the reality as i prepare to sit my theory and hazard perception tests before i even get to do my training on the road for my class c [class2] is somewhat different , so many rules /regs , digi card , and am only driving a 7.5t baby at moment , you cant even “jump” to class 1 anymore , its class c , then c + e [class one ]

greek:
Was Bobby Boads not very tall long bushy sideburns, Also big lad I used to call Wacky jacki cant remember his proper name but he was big & Loud but great crack, seem to remember something quite a few yrs back he died of throat cancer, & remember young lad Brian had an accident at the Haven Range Rover tried to cross central res & had a collision with Brian, fatalities involved but Brian came back on the road after a while. First met Barry cant remember 2nd name in the 70s he went on to Peter Cook then later Elddis Prob new your old man by sight but the name doesnt ring a bell but thats always been the case with me remember faces but bloody hopeless with names

some kind man sent me a picture of some of the lads from barnfather days , Bobby Boad is on the left , he was at our house so much , we used to cal him uncle bob …
regards Duncan

2004-07-04%2012-52-06.jpg

found this , its wag n drag , prob "plastic billy " and a really old one from this site [F86]

daf1-137.jpg

just been looking at this thread,wot i can remember russell Hutchinson from a one transport came here and a few drivers went too,any one got any info on this,thanks Keith

Did the old man drive for Glenny or Armstrongs Duncan I know his face well but can`t bloody place him (age I think)Looks like that could be Bobby in the black & white pic of the 86 & looks like it was took at Doncaster market place which is where I first met Bobby & one or two others off Barnfathers Heres a pic of me around the same time

dad drove for barnfather twice … then glennys , he was mostly running out of wavins an meadowfield , and uponor at aycliffe and derby …

little bob is on the far left , leaning on the trailer with hands in pockets , been told it was taken at Doncaster market

nice picture of the F88 and you , and im presuming family

funny I should be typing this tom barnfather rang me on sunday telling me he had lots of pictures if I wanted to copy them , its just getting time to nip over to get them

regards Duncan

Aye get them copied & posted Duncan gone a bit quiet on here & the North East posts, thats why I posted a few pics

how about a one transport Leeds who had a dept in middlesbrough,thanks keith

PTrevillion:
The Dennis Trevillion mentioned through this thread is definitely alive & kicking, albeit retired…I know this as he is my dad!! I loved being with dad in the yard & out n about on the road…my favourite cafe was Mickleover (forget the name now) but I know its not there anymore, its a housing estate now!

I mentioned to dad that I had found this post about Barnfathers & he definitely remembers Eric Moody & Joe Bladden.
He managed to get me some photos of the trucks & workers of Barnfathers which I will try upload to this post.

Just been talking to my old man and he claims to be the photographer, Doug nicholson

would be great to get any photos , esp of the old yard

duncan bladen:

greek:
Was Bobby Boads not very tall long bushy sideburns, Also big lad I used to call Wacky jacki cant remember his proper name but he was big & Loud but great crack, seem to remember something quite a few yrs back he died of throat cancer, & remember young lad Brian had an accident at the Haven Range Rover tried to cross central res & had a collision with Brian, fatalities involved but Brian came back on the road after a while. First met Barry cant remember 2nd name in the 70s he went on to Peter Cook then later Elddis Prob new your old man by sight but the name doesnt ring a bell but thats always been the case with me remember faces but bloody hopeless with names

some kind man sent me a picture of some of the lads from barnfather days , Bobby Boad is on the left , he was at our house so much , we used to cal him uncle bob …
regards Duncan

is that bobby scott second from left, i worked with him at granby road services, good lad, loved a pint, (or two).

im not sure matey , photo was passed to me by another member whose dad is on pic

does anyone on the site/forum ave any pictures/stories about barnfather & wilkes of Sherburn , Co Durham . my father worked there twice , and i can remember as a child from the age of 5+ going with him .
the first wagon i remember was his AEC Mammoth Major 8 legger flat , and the clouds of blue smoke as it started hahahah.
I also remember going into the old church which was the office , sitting on the old leather setee with old Mr Barnfather , as he was stoking the coal fire up . and waiting while dad did "A local , he will not be long son "
pictures would be very welcome , as dad and indeed most of sherburn village adults of the 60s/70s worked there in some capacity , mostly driving , and what a bunch of characters , they must have made quite an impression on my young mind , that i can remember them 40 years on

duncan bladen:
does anyone on the site/forum ave any pictures/stories about barnfather & wilkes of Sherburn , Co Durham . my father worked there twice , and i can remember as a child from the age of 5+ going with him .
the first wagon i remember was his AEC Mammoth Major 8 legger flat , and the clouds of blue smoke as it started hahahah.
I also remember going into the old church which was the office , sitting on the old leather setee with old Mr Barnfather , as he was stoking the coal fire up . and waiting while dad did "A local , he will not be long son "
pictures would be very welcome , as dad and indeed most of sherburn village adults of the 60s/70s worked there in some capacity , mostly driving , and what a bunch of characters , they must have made quite an impression on my young mind , that i can remember them 40 years on

hiya,
Hello and welcome Duncan, have you looked on the “Old North East haulage companies” site it’s about 20 pages of stuff relating to the area you just might find something of interest on there;
thanks harry long retired.