Bag of goodies

trux:
I find a large hand-bag comes in usefull , especially at dawn :grimacing:

Lmao :laughing::lol:

Anything more than a pair of gloves is just being a drama queen tbph.

All good suggestions, but don’t forget if you ar doing lots of handball, then watch your back, this might mean a back support.

You only get one, take care of it, because if it’s knackered you are going to be earning squat!

LHD,yes I’m paid to drive not fix. But in a 12-13 hr shift,do I really want to phone about a bulb being out to get told it’ll be 4 hours for someone to come and repair it? That means a night out. All because I didn’t have a spare bulb which,btw, are essential because it is a legal requirement to have them. Even if you can’t change them for some reason.
Down in Liverpool recently I hooked up return trailer to find a side light out. Did I want to wait a couple hours or did I want to change it and get back up the road? What do you think? If your ok to wait that’s entirely up to you. I’m not if I can help it
Good for you re never having a loose mudflap. Neither have I. But I like piece of mind knowing if it does happen I can secure it till its fixed.
As for phone charger,I have managed perfectly well at times without one. If a company want you to call them with updates etc during the day then they should supply you a company phone,either installed in vehicle or otherwise.
OP asked for what essential items he should carry. I gave him my opinion. It’s not of any interest or importance to me to try and convince you I’m right and your wrong. As I’ve said,we have a difference I opinion as to what constitutes essential. OP can take all advise an then decide himself what he wants to do
Let’s leave it at that

for me polish, anti bacterial wipes for the steering wheel etc ( have you seen the ■■■■ that comes off ), gloves, torch, inflatable pillow or pillow (in case nighted out or on a long tip/wait). sod bulbs etc its the companies job to change them/rectify faults etc.
tacho roll is useful as most wont have a spare from my experiences.

other than that bridge height map (so you dont just blindly follow sat nav).

flask/flasks.
cup.
phone charger.

I know its a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in some EU countries, but is it in the UK?
Since when?

How many “Truckers” does it take to change a light bulb ?
(none they prefer to sit in the dark) :laughing:

Snowman – it is Not a legal requirement to carry spare bulbs in the UK ,
it is recommended, and certain requirements in other EU Countries.
It is recognized by DVSA that Minor repairs by drivers might be undertaken.
and I quote :

“If you are an operator, you should bear in mind that drivers who are expected to repair minor
defects in service, e.g. light bulb replacement, might need basic training.”
source :
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … hiness.pdf
If anyone can point me to where it states it is Law to Must carry within UK , i`d be gratefull.
might need basic training." <<<<< This bit is the get out clause, and can depend on company policy/procedures for effecting repairs.
Scenario :
Driver does walk around check, finds o/s rear brake bulb inoperative, driver fills in daily defect sheet and duly notes said defect.
Driver then goes to personal bag in cab, gets out flat blade screwdriver and bulb,
driver proceeds to rear of vehicle and commences removal of light cluster lens and guard with said screwdriver.
Screwdriver slips on cold metal and impales into drivers other hand causing urgent medical attention and personal injury.
Driver puts claim in to company insurance ,
Company replies and says “why was driver changing bulb ? we have our own workshop/fitters and a policy /procedure for carrying out necessary repairs and reporting.”
Claim dismissed, driver sanctioned for not following Co. policy/procedure.

trux:
Scenario :
Driver does walk around check, finds o/s rear brake bulb inoperative, driver fills in daily defect sheet and duly notes said defect.
Driver then goes to personal bag in cab, gets out flat blade screwdriver and bulb,
driver proceeds to rear of vehicle and commences removal of light cluster lens and guard with said screwdriver.
Screwdriver slips on cold metal and impales into drivers other hand causing urgent medical attention and personal injury.
Company replies and says “why was driver changing bulb ? we have our own workshop/fitters and a policy /procedure for carrying out necessary repairs and reporting.”

Scenario 2 :
Brittle weathered wiring or connector block breaks rendering whole o/s cluster completely u/s and trailer is now VOR’d
I’ll leave the rest of the scenario to the TN-UK CSI…

boxing gloves or spectacles & first aid kit
and Vaseline for the communal showers :laughing:

Essentials needed:
PPE (boots, hi vis, gloves)
Licence & cards (tacho, DCPC etc)
Directions (or knowing where your going)

Non essential items you may like to carry:
Mobile phone / hands free kit
Map/satnav
Various cables, extention leads, chargers & adapters (hella ->cigar etc) to power your farkles.
Sandwiches/drink(s) … Canteens/chuck wagons may be available
Money

Non essential Items you may also carry (if you have the skills/desire to use them):
Bulbs/fuses
Basic tools
Electrical/duct tape
Zip ties

Boots an gloves an a pen . An crack on

[attachment=0]man_with_Bags.jpg[/attachment]

feels like I forgot something

man_with_Bags.jpg

Thanks for your replys guys. Made me think a little more about what I actually need. Sorry it’s caused abit of a stir though. :smiley:

Reef:

trux:
Scenario :

Scenario 2 :
Brittle weathered wiring or connector block breaks rendering whole o/s cluster completely u/s and trailer is now VOR’d
I’ll leave the rest of the scenario to the TN-UK CSI…

Scenario 3 (This is how our firm do it)

Driver does walk round check and finds bulb inoperative.
Driver writes out defect notice.
Driver gets out bulb kit and screwdriver as supplied by employer and changes bulb.
Assuming fault is fixed, driver then signs off defect note as “repair completed”, makes note on daily defect log sheet quoting defect number, hands in top three copies of defect note to driver trainer, carries on his duties.

Assuming fault is NOT fixed by changing bulb, driver goes round to garage, reports to fitter, fitter then repairs fault as soon as he has time, driver ensures fitter signs off defect note, makes note on daily defect log sheet quoting defect number, hands in three copies of defect note to office, is told by driver trainer that he should take one copy to garage, promises to do so, throws garage copy in nearest bin when driver trainer isn’t looking because garage are sick of employer’s persistent bureaucratic paper-chasing and have told him to stick said paper where the sun doesn’t shine, carries on his duties.

In practice changing the bulb, inevitably, is quicker than doing the paperwork involved.

I forgot to add, if you wear spectacles always carry a spare pair, even if theyre sunglasses. Theres nothing like getting your specs broken miles from home and your faced with the prospect of driving back squinting through the windscreen

Take all of the above, anything you’re likely to need - especially map, gloves & food/drink, pen & paper & your phone. It’s only a sports bag’s worth of stuff even if you do take the proverbial kitchen sink, you only have to lug it in and out twice.
Take the tools, you then have the choice of whether to do your own repairs.
Oh, and an ipod for when the radio does yer head in :wink:

TROTSKY3:
[attachment=0]man_with_Bags.jpg[/attachment]

feels like I forgot something

That made me laugh :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

All of the above suggestions plus make sure your wet weather gear is up to scratch. Don’t buy cheap crap either, it’s worth investing in decent over trousers, jacket, and boots in my experience. Arco and Go Outdoors do decent gear.

When I started in 1978, satnav’s, mobile phones and chargers weren’t essential items because they didn’t exist.

We used maps and phone boxes and still got the job done.