Back to the early 80s

TDL102:

Harry Monk:

adam277:
I’ve held the same opinion from Day 1. Humans are the virus, Coronavirus is the cure. This is Mother Nature making a long-overdue correction.

Have to agree, although it would have been better if Mother Nature managed to take out the stupid, lazy and feckless first.

They are the only ones who’ll survive it, isolating themselves in the house watching tv on the sofa all day, with a walk out once a day (to get their drugs) is just normal life to them.

Carryfast:
Some say that the early 1980’s were a boom time for the uk road transport industry.Just walk into any yard saying gissa job and you’d be off up the road within an hour of speaking to the guvnor.Name your price and he’d pay it.

No, the early 1980s was a time of deep recession. There was a sharp upturn around 1986, which led to the property price boom in the late 1980s and the subsequent house price collapse in the early 1990s when the next recession hit.

But yes, during the late 1980s it was certainly possible for anybody with an ounce of gumption to get almost unlimited offers of continental work (so not you, obviously).

Harry Monk:
No, the early 1980s was a time of deep recession. There was a sharp upturn around 1986,

Most of the 1980’s was a long hard slog getting ourselves out of the mire which Thatcher took us into.Most of the employment growth was in the white collar and service sectors not blue collar including truck driving.I considered myself to be very lucky to be working as a truck driver any type of truck driver throughout that decade.

Unemployment rate
May-July
9.7%

May-July 10.6%

May-July
11.5%

May-July 11.85 %

May-July 11.3%

May-July 11.4%

May-July 10.6 %

May - July 8.6%

May - July 7.2 %

If all jobs end up being “minimum wage” one day - we’ll all become “minimalist workers” as well, I suggest…

Who would drive a truck with the responsibilities that go with it - rather than drive a puddle jumper taking crates of grub around people’s houses instead - for the same money?

Conor:

Grumpy_old_trucker:
Worst thing that drivers did was to allow employers to count their night out money as wages,

No they haven’t. What the more stupid drivers have decided to do is decide to count their night out money as wages, often because they’re living a life they can’t afford paid for with loans and credit cards and by counting their night out money as wages it allows them to think they’re not actually insolvent.

Unfortunately, this is the life of many other that transport drivers.

When were living life with less than 20% disposable income, somethings wrong.

Overpriced houses - pushed up by greedy investors for buy to let fueling inflation

Cheap money has been the issue - we need higher interest rates

3 wheeler:
Instead of the early eighties fashion of buying a tractor unit and going it alone guys will be buying transit vans for the home delivery market instead. No tacho and sleeping in your own bed is the upside.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
kerchinggg :slight_smile:

Rottweiler22:
My take on it is that people are sat at home now, building a reliance on online buying. I see losses in the retail sector, as people are will be more inclined to buy online with quick delivery. As opposed to getting in the car and driving to a shop. Integrators and logistics linked to e-commerce (DHL, DPD, FedEx, etc) will have a boom, leading to more jobs in RDCs, pickers, home delivery drivers, etc.

Things tend to balance out. There are winners and losers. If people have less money, they stop shopping at Waitrose, and start shopping at ASDA. As one door closes, another one opens…

Shopping online isn’t exactly a new trend and has been decimating Town centres and even cities for quite some time now. Expensive rents etc to have a shop open or order online with fast delivery and easy returns is a no brainer a lot of the time.

robroy:
Back to the early 80s trucking?
So does that mean I’ve got to re.grow my permed mullet and Magnum tache before I start back…I’ll need a bit of time.

Why?

Were you in ■■■■ films, Rob? :smiley: :smiley:

Tell us more…

Socketset:

robroy:
So does that mean I’ve got to re.grow my permed mullet and Magnum tache before I start back…I’ll need a bit of time.

Why?

Tell us more…

Yep :smiley: , you’ve heard of the 80s one ‘Debbie does Dallas’ ,.I did a West Midlands version…‘Rob does Darlaston’
:laughing:

is this correct companies are including expenses in wages ■■?

Socketset:

robroy:

Why?

Tell us more…

It isn’t always the “Magnum Moustache” that sees the best action of course…

Reems.jpg

with a tache like that,
anytime you were out on the tap,woke up getting breakfast in some strange tarts house and had to ask what town you were in,then even if you couldnt remember the previous evening then you knew you had a good night sniffing the plate and smelling kippers…then looking down at your bacon sarnie… :laughing: