Back in the day

truckyboy:
Cant wait Rob…i love it when old folk tell me a story…some of them ask me to sit on their lap…a bit uncomfortable on some though. :blush:

Don’t worry TB, there’s absolutely no danger whatsoever of me asking you to sit on my lap. :smiley:

Some of my lorries from years ago.

A tax disc from the Scammell.

Driving one of these Commers at the time got me my class 1 licence.

Happy Days Phil.

volvo2:
Our old farm house is going to be demolished after standing solid for nearly 400 years. The land has been leased out for years and nobody has lived in the old homestead for so many years. I went to have a last look before it was demolished and in one of the big sheds was the old seddon atkinson cattle truck. I learned to drive that when I was very young before ever I had a licence
I stood there looking at it and it was nothing but a ruined truck now but I began to remember driving it.This was nearly 50 years since I first drove it and I just wondered how young drivers today could drive it. It has no power steering a (to me anyway) a huge wheel no abs no bunk there was an old plank you could use as a bed for a rest if you had to go to Dublin it tooks hours to get there in those day. it had a starting handle you had to wind to get her going and the best thing about it it had as far as I remember an eaton splitter box. Took me some time to master that yock.Going round corners you were hauling the wheel around and she was a temperamental old girl. In those days in the winter we had to light a fire under the tank to literally defrost the fuel in freezing temperatures and there was a a lot of them our farm was int the foothills of the mountains.

Yet I thought those were the days and would have sold my soul to have been able to get in and take the beast for a final drive but it was just an old rusting shell.

How many of you lot drove an old beast like that Going round corners literally hauling the wheel around but we knew no different then. Drivers then had not an easy job with lorries like that I doubt if any young lad today would tackle one of those. God but that old wreck brought back many memories of those days. In her hey day she was the dogs proverbials.
If any of you are old enough to have driven trucks like that I would love to hear some of your memories,So please post them if you drove a top of the range model like this back in the day I think there would be some tales to tell.

Well - Don’t mean to be pedantic, but it was either a Seddon or an Atkinson, they were separate companies back then

Numbum:
Some of my lorries from years ago.

A tax disc from the Scammell.

Driving one of these Commers at the time got me my class 1 licence.

Happy Days Phil.[/quote

what wonderful pics at least you had the nous to take pictures.

Toddy2:

volvo2:
Our old farm house is going to be demolished after standing solid for nearly 400 years. The land has been leased out for years and nobody has lived in the old homestead for so many years. I went to have a last look before it was demolished and in one of the big sheds was the old seddon atkinson cattle truck. I learned to drive that when I was very young before ever I had a licence
I stood there looking at it and it was nothing but a ruined truck now but I began to remember driving it.This was nearly 50 years since I first drove it and I just wondered how young drivers today could drive it. It has no power steering a (to me anyway) a huge wheel no abs no bunk there was an old plank you could use as a bed for a rest if you had to go to Dublin it tooks hours to get there in those day. it had a starting handle you had to wind to get her going and the best thing about it it had as far as I remember an eaton splitter box. Took me some time to master that yock.Going round corners you were hauling the wheel around and she was a temperamental old girl. In those days in the winter we had to light a fire under the tank to literally defrost the fuel in freezing temperatures and there was a a lot of them our farm was int the foothills of the mountains.

Yet I thought those were the days and would have sold my soul to have been able to get in and take the beast for a final drive but it was just an old rusting shell.

How many of you lot drove an old beast like that Going round corners literally hauling the wheel around but we knew no different then. Drivers then had not an easy job with lorries like that I doubt if any young lad today would tackle one of those. God but that old wreck brought back many memories of those days. In her hey day she was the dogs proverbials.
If any of you are old enough to have driven trucks like that I would love to hear some of your memories,So please post them if you drove a top of the range model like this back in the day I think there would be some tales to tell.

Well - Don’t mean to be pedantic, but it was either a Seddon or an Atkinson, they were separate companies back then

You are correct there our first one my uncle got was the Atkinson the new one we got in the 70’s was a Seddon Atkinson. When you get to my age the memory is not the best. Oldtimers disease it is called.