B+E with C

We need ROG ! :grimacing:

ROG where are you? :smiley:

LandyLad:

ROG is hardly known for the accuracy of the information he provides! The whole reason his posts are pre-moderated before being made public is down to the amount of innacurate crap he talks.

I’m getting confused? btw I passed after '97.

My car weighs in at 1700kg kerb weight, its MAM is 2000kg.

Can I tow a trailer weighing 1500kg and a MAM of 3000kg.

MADBAZ:

Yes, provided you don’t load the trailer to weight more than 1700kg.

Interesting thread, as I too have B&E as well as Cat C. I must admit I always thought the weights related to GROSS weight not actual weight, so you couldn’t tow an unladen 3500KG trailer behind a Landrover for example on a cat B only. Doesn’t make much odds to me, but I still get told things like I can’t tow a trailer heavier than my Landrover (in which case, what would be the point of B&E) or that I can but only at 20mph. You even get different answers from DVLA depending on which person answers the phone. VOSA is a muddle as well, but so far as I know if Landrover say it will tow 3500KG, then it will tow 3500KG.

When all is said and done I should have just spent a bit more and got my class 1, would have made life so much easier in the long run…

MADBAZ:

Not in my understanding of the rules - with a class B license you can’t, as the train weight would be 5000KG, IIRC it goes on gross weight (MAM) not kerb/unladen weight.

Gogan I actually know the answer and it’s a no.

The importnat bit is the MAM or maximum authorised mass (used to be GVW), the combination I gave has the trailer with a greater MAM than the prime mover and the combo is 5 tonnes.

Don’t confuse MASS which is for all intents and purposes weight, with MAM which is the limit that the mover or trailer can weigh.

Clicky

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes

In this article reference is made to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight.
Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.
For example:
a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas
the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle’s handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
Towing caravans
As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.
An exemption from the driver licensing trailer limit allows a category B licence holder to tow a broken down vehicle from a position where it would otherwise cause danger or obstruction to other road users.
By passing a category B test national categories F (tractor), K (pedestrian controlled vehicle) and P (moped) continue to be added automatically.
Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM
Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.

MADBAZ:
The importnat bit is the MAM or maximum authorised mass (used to be GVW), the combination I gave has the trailer with a greater MAM than the prime mover and the combo is 5 tonnes.

You’re assuming the trailer is type approved and has a requirement to be plated, many don’t. :unamused: :smiley:

MADBAZ:
Don’t confuse MASS which is for all intents and purposes weight, with MAM which is the limit that the mover or trailer can weigh.

Newton would disagree, and so would I. Mass and weight are totally different, fortunately seperated by a little thing called gravity.

Gogan:

MADBAZ:

You’re assuming the trailer is type approved and has a requirement to be plated, many don’t. :unamused: :smiley:

Doesn’t need to be plated just look at the side wall of the tyres

MADBAZ:

Newton would disagree, and so would I. Mass and weight are totally different, fortunately seperated by a little thing called gravity.

Since many of us don’t tow on the moon or Jupiter it’s a moot point

That’s why I put in for all intents and purposes, I wouldn’t get pedantic if I don’t know my masses from my asses.

This is a newbie forum and posting any old tripe without backing it up can get people into trouble.

Gogan:
You’re assuming the trailer is type approved and has a requirement to be plated, many don’t.

As the last poster put in red … the tyre load ratings will determine what the trailer MAM is if not plated

Gogan:

LandyLad:

ROG is hardly known for the accuracy of the information he provides! The whole reason his posts are pre-moderated before being made public is down to the amount of innacurate crap he talks.

To be honest I think you have got this wrong.

The rules are worked out on the plated weights and not the actual weight.

A van plated with a maximum authorised mass of 3500 KGs can only tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass of 750 KGs on a cat b licence.

The scenario of a trailer that carries light loads but needs a large volume can be towed on a b licence provided it has been down plated to meet the criteria of the combined mam of the car and trailer not exceeding 3500 KGs and the trailer mam does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle

MADBAZ:
Doesn’t need to be plated just look at the side wall of the tyres

That only defines the maximum capability of the tyres.

If I take the tyres off of a T350 transit and put them on a T260, does that automatically make it a 3.5t van? Exactly. :unamused:

Gogan:

That is the opinion of one particular member who is also a moderator but many seem to follow the lead of that person

Try going back through my posts and try to find inaccurate info … good luck!!

I’m not going to argue the point any longer, I’ve stated what I believe to be legal and given the conditions and limitation under which I am correct. There are a number of situations under which the rules prevent certain combinations from being carried, including trailer plating, but that doesn’t change the fact that what I have said is possible and perfectly legal if you want it to be and have the right tackle.

Simply put,

Pre '97

Up to 8.25 tonnes

Post '97

up to 4.25 tonnes total MAM, providing the trailer MAM is no more than 750kg.

up to 3.5 tonnes total MAM, providing the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the UNLADEN WEIGHT of the prime mover.

Gogan:
I’m not going to argue the point any longer, I’ve stated what I believe to be legal and given the conditions and limitation under which I am correct. There are a number of situations under which the rules prevent certain combinations from being carried, including trailer plating, but that doesn’t change the fact that what I have said is possible and perfectly legal if you want it to be and have the right tackle.

I think you are wrong technically and also wrong in discrediting rog!

To answer the OP,

If you have B+E, as you know you can tow any trailer (up to 3500kg MAM) with any vehicle (subject to it’s limits) which has a MAM of up to 3500.

However once the towing vehicle has a MAM of more than 3500kg your limited to a trailer of up to 750kg MAM as you need to gain C1+E or C+E.

MADBAZ:
Simply put,

Pre '97

Up to 8.25 tonnes

But not on B+E - that would be 7 tonnes :slight_smile:

ROG:
But not on B+E - that would be 7 tonnes :slight_smile:

of course it is, how many cars have suzie connections? you’re still required to conform to C&U regs.

No need for B+E for pre 97 licence holders, if you held category A on a pre 90 licence (or cat B between 90-97) then there is no point in taking B+E or C1+E (up to 8.25t laden), the only categories I can see that can be upgraded to are C, C1+E (to 12 tonnes combo laden), C+E, D, D+E, D1 (to add hire & reward) and of course D1+E (again for H&R).

BTW as I suspected you did make an appearance, it’s a shame the lag between posting and the post showing up is a little slow.