Axminster transport

Yes I think it was Buzzer , he went on to have bin collection lorries and skips in Cherbourg.

kerbut:
Yes I think it was Buzzer , he went on to have bin collection lorries and skips in Cherbourg.

He was a driver for PBC in the early 70’s and had a LHD Berliet, he came and rescued me once when I blew up a AEC Mandator in Toulous, think he married a girl in the freight office Maria perhaps was her name but a very long time ago now, Mary Hopkins moments them, Buzzer.

Yes John that is Bernie Thompson, he worked in the office for Atkins with George Osmont before coming to Axminster. Yes he did work for P.B.C. as a driver prior to that. He worked for Axminster until Peter closed the French side of the business. Then as Nigel said he set up on his own with skips and bins , he was based in the dock. He sold up a few years ago and retired now lives near Ouisterham. I still speak to him occasionally.

Cliff luxton:
Yes John that is Bernie Thompson, he worked in the office for Atkins with George Osmont before coming to Axminster. Yes he did work for P.B.C. as a driver prior to that. He worked for Axminster until Peter closed the French side of the business. Then as Nigel said he set up on his own with skips and bins , he was based in the dock. He sold up a few years ago and retired now lives near Ouisterham. I still speak to him occasionally.

Cliff Is it my imagination or did he have a brother who also drove JD.

Right again Mr Davies , Bernie’s brother Dennis also drove for Atkins in Cherbourg, I don’t know what happened to him when Atkins finished, I haven’t heard of him since then.

The boss did like his Leylands.

Unfortunately another friend and workmate Andy Woodrow has passed away . A pleasure to have worked with you Andy, had some good times with you at Axminster. R.I.P. Old friend.

My first new lorry ever.

Arriving in poole

Cliff luxton:
The boss did like his Leylands.

That’s a nifty sleeper pod on the rear of the nearest Leyland Cliff!

David

I think they came from Leyland like that Dave there were 2 of them.

This is a collection of the lorries I drove in my 12 years working here.

Here’s a new one .

Arriving in Cherbourg.i think.

Cliff luxton:

Hi Cliff were the skip motors a mauve colour ?

Rob ,I think they were, most were Atkinson or Seddon Atkinson.

kerbut:

Yeah that’s them then,I remember seeing the Seddon atkinsons running around Cherbourg and in the port as a lot of them were British registered so it all makes sense now.

Cliff luxton:

Could be Poole

Suedehead:

Cliff luxton:

Could be Poole

Definately Cherbourg. :wink: