Axminster transport

Here is another from quite early day’s

Doing the dishes after a bit of home cooking.

Here’s my old mate Rogers favourite motor of all time closely followed by the Merc at CRT.

This was about 8 years after leaving Axminster Transport . Not as easy as being an employee, but still enjoyed it.

Cliff luxton:
This was about 8 years after leaving Axminster Transport . Not as easy as being an employee, but still enjoyed it.

Looks like that might have been one of Buzzers old units

robthedog:

Cliff luxton:

Looks like that might have been one of Buzzers old units

And a goodun at that, Cliff your posting is like a slow release fertilizer, Buzzer

Changed a few of these in my time for myself and helping other drivers on the road, in later years had to wait for tyre company’s to come out it was much quicker to do it yourself.

All sorts of loads undertaken, don’t know why there was no sign righting on the unit.

Cliff luxton:
All sorts of loads undertaken, don’t know why there was no sign righting on the unit.

Looking at the wheel nuts and condition of the paint on that motor it looks brand new Cliff. Probably a rush job come in before motor
could be sign written ! :unamused:

Now i reckon this is you coming through Ferndown near the 2 roundabouts at Hampreston. :laughing:

axminster cliff.PNG

I really like photos of lorries that include the people associated with them. Thought this one deserved a bit of tidying-up.

Click on picture to enlarge
Regards john.

Thank you very much for that John that is brilliant wouldn’t have been able to do that myself.
I think it is the owner of the company and his wife and a friend of mine father who was the driver not sure about the 4th person. The owner was called Charlie Chown and his wife Doris. The drivers surname was Turner not sure of christian name.

Central Road Transport was started by Charles Chown and then his sons Frank and Maurice carried it on.

Cliff you seen the pic on the previous page ?

Think your right Dean I had VTT 789S then EDV225T . Hope you’re OK mate.

This is before my time I’m guessing 1971/72 , I think Peter started in 1970 when he bought Charles Neale, and changed to Axminster Transport.
You can see the original Charles Neale brown Bedford alongside the recognisable Axminster livery.

Off to Stourpaine I would think.

Cliff luxton:
Off to Stourpaine I would think.

Nice pic Cliff. :wink:

In my opinion these were the best fridge trailers ever made, but they were bloody heavy. At the time at 32ton you could just about get 16ton payload with the F89 . But don’t it look a good outfit over 30 years ago.

Cliff luxton:
In my opinion these were the best fridge trailers ever made, but they were bloody heavy. At the time at 32ton you could just about get 16ton payload with the F89 . But don’t it look a good outfit over 30 years ago.

Meat railer’s always were on the heavy side as they were built stronger having said that we ran G&A’s first non railer’s and they were heavy too Cliff then we bought Schmitz but they lacked in quality but were lighter then we had Chereau and they are we think the best on the market, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Cliff luxton:

Meat railer’s always were on the heavy side as they were built stronger having said that we ran G&A’s first non railer’s and they were heavy too Cliff then we bought Schmitz but they lacked in quality but were lighter then we had Chereau and they are we think the best on the market, cheers Buzzer.

What did you reckon to the Lamberau fridges Buzzer, I only ask because that is what we used to pull for Ross/Youngs and they all had the Thermo King fridges fitted.

Buzzer:

Cliff luxton:

I could be wrong Buzzer. But i seem to remember that when the gross weight was 38 ton and you had a 3 axle unit and tri axle G&A meat fridge you were about 19 tons empty,so only had a payload of 19 tons !