Autobox merc do any Mercedes drivers get the same problem ,

gingo:

the maoster:
Because I’m better than the gearbox.

your boss dosent seem to think so, or he would have got you a manual box.
instead of auto ,

The bean counters got it because its cheaper.

the maoster:

damoq:

the maoster:
Because I’m better than the gearbox. Simple as that. The telemetary seems to bear that out. Also Mercedes own assessor.

Is most of your driving done on the motorway? I mostly do stop start work and wouldn’t even dream of using it in manual mode for this. Seems like more trouble than it’s worth.

Not at all mate, mixture of all roads and multi drop work. It’s just a question of getting used to manually changing. Just like in the old manual days it becomes second nature after a while.

Although I have been driving for years I’m not one of those drivers who says “I’ve been driving bloody years and nobody will tell me how to drive”. On the contrary I’m obsessed with high fleet board scores, fuel economy, smooth driving and learning new technology and I do honestly believe that I am better than a computer. As I said before Mercedes own driver trainer backs up my assumptions too.

As an aside, my allocated vehicle is one of only a handful on our fleet that has not been back to Mercedes to rectify gearbox issues.

Do you drive "by ear " or watch the gauge (rev counter) ? I found it a revelation keeping it in the green band manually, it was counter intuitive to anything i thought. But thats what they say, keep it in the green…

i usually use the manual on the gear selection remember trucks cant see the road ahead, they react ! a driver sees and reads the road so a decent driver is better than an auto box i get between 9.6 and 10 mpg out of mine according the the computer

Mine broke down when it was a couple of weeks old. Gearbox got stuck in 7th gear. Not been any bother since though. I don’t like the fact eco roll kicks in at every opportunity. I’m sure it must cause alot of unnecessary wear on the gearbox. I know you can turn it off but the fact it defaults to on every time you restart the engine is annoying. I feel it should only work with the cruise control on.
I used to obsess with my fleetboard scores to try and improve but gave up after a while.
I know you prefer using it in manual but since I learned to go extra gentle with the accelerator pedal, I don’t have many issues with poor gear changes anymore. As I said earlier, I reckon gearbox hissy fits are just mercs way of getting you to relax your driving style.[emoji3]

bjd:
i usually use the manual on the gear selection remember trucks cant see the road ahead, they react ! a driver sees and reads the road so a decent driver is better than an auto box i get between 9.6 and 10 mpg out of mine according the the computer

At 44 tonne?

thats a reading i usually check at the end of the day so its a mix but yes i would say it averages out around 9 .6 thats manual changes using the retarder and generally just trying to drive sensibly keeping it in the green ect cutting out the unnecessary idling and the like i actually changed my driving style after some training and i was not convince at 1st but it works diving with a little thought can make a lot of difference

bjd:
thats a reading i usually check at the end of the day so its a mix but yes i would say it averages out around 9 .6 thats manual changes using the retarder and generally just trying to drive sensibly keeping it in the green ect cutting out the unnecessary idling and the like

Yeah but what tonnage you running at? much empty running? what trailer you pulling?

i drive fuel tankers 38,000 litre loads so its a mix of motorway and urban driving

bjd:
i drive fuel tankers 38,000 litre loads so its a mix of motorway and urban driving

Ok distance? local? E.G Do you drive say 200 miles to a job then 200 miles back empty?

i suppose you would concider it local certanley no where near 200 miles i would say most jobs are with a hundred miles

bjd:
i suppose you would concider it local certanley no where near 200 miles i would say most jobs are with a hundred miles

OK so you run back empty that’s what i was wondering that’ll be why you’re getting the good mpg :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

tango boy:

bjd:

OK so you run back empty that’s what i was wondering that’ll be why you’re getting the good mpg :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Dont burst my bubble i thought i was doing ok but i take your point re empty running but it deff went up after the training i received on driving more efficiently

gingo:

the maoster:

instead of auto ,

My boss has no say in the trucks we drive. That is sorted out between the lease companies and the twenty two year old suit wearing accountants who hold the company ■■■■■ strings.

the maoster:

gingo:

the maoster:

instead of auto ,

My boss has no say in the trucks we drive. That is sorted out between the lease companies and the twenty two year old suit wearing accountants who hold the company ■■■■■ strings.

Our TM gets the final say at our place. Almost every dam truck we have is a 3 pedal Scania Opticrap.

bjd:

tango boy:

bjd:

Dont burst my bubble i thought i was doing ok but i take your point re empty running but it deff went up after the training i received on driving more efficiently

I wasn’t lol sorry. I don’t know how to drive more efficiently in a bulker :wink: although i get between 6.5 and 8 depending on terrain at 44T

Mike-C:
Do you drive "by ear " or watch the gauge (rev counter) ? I found it a revelation keeping it in the green band manually, it was counter intuitive to anything i thought. But thats what they say, keep it in the green…

Tbh Mike I did struggle with the new generations of lorries at first, which undoubtedly was a result of being brought up on old bone shakers such as Fodens, Sed Aks etc where you had to thrash them to make them go! So as you rightly say it’s counter intuitive to keep it in the green band, but that’s what I do and let the torque do the work instead.

Keeping it in the green only feels slower as it sounds slower (if that makes sense?), the only exception to that is when I’m using the exhaust brake, in which case I’ll have it up at the top of the yellow band.

tango boy:

bjd:

tango boy:

bjd:

I wasn’t lol sorry. I don’t know how to drive more efficiently in a bulker :wink: although i get between 6.5 and 8 depending on terrain at 44T

I think the type of work you do will have a baring on it without dout but as i say after some training i think i have improved a lot

My Actros is the same. It seems to be very slow to change down gears, so I tend to change down manually approaching a roundabout.

@bjd Yep lol :smiley: :smiley:

If you look at the fleet board readings it gives you a good idea of what your doing right or wrong