Atlas express

Night Runner:

atlas man:
I have heard of pace but never knew who they were but thought they were involved with Atlas in some way because all our printed material came from a company called pace

Hi Atlas Man, Herbert Pace was the name of the company and if I am correct owned by Atlas but for how long I dont know. Pace was a "Rootes" dealers and thats where the Dodge lorries came in to the fleet in the early 80`s and the company cars were Chrysler Alpines etc. Pace were also the company that made the van bodies as stated by “rastone” , a they were certainly fitted on the Dodges any way.

I sold quite a lot of D-Series to Atlas.Mostly 2417 D-Series.Dealt with a chap John Woodfield at CoalvilleThe chap I dealt with for the tractor units was Bob Hine at Bromyard.Some D-710’s were for PacefreightThe chap in charge of the body shop at Coalville was Brian Morton who had a model shop in the area( forgotten the name but in the Swad area)Did a deal with him for a Hornby Train set and part exchanged some Dinkys.What you do for your kids but it kept them happy,wish I’d still got the Dinkys though.
haven’t got any phtos of the Pace Freight vans but here is a photo of an Atlas van outside the bodyworks.Very poor I’m afraid.This is of a D 707 with a four cylinder

Tony

I found this picture of an S Type Bedford artic of Atlas Express. The Liverpool connection would
have been when J .B . Caulfield of Window Lane in Garston became part of Atlas Express. I have
been searching for pictures of J .B . Caulfields parcel vans, but no luck so far. Ray Smyth.
Picture by Hive Mind.

6987690619_b3ce64999b.jpg

Here’s an old one, nmp and I dont know where it is.
They had a big depot in benfleet Essex all gone now but I noticed a lot of those fords have Essex registrations.

^^^^
Rotherhithe.

atlas man:
Thank you I wonder if they had more than one

No they only had one I think it started out as a demo but they put to much mileage on it so made sence to keep it.

pollystag:

Here’s an old one, nmp and I dont know where it is.
They had a big depot in benfleet Essex all gone now but I noticed a lot of those fords have Essex registrations.

This is London depot Canon Beck rd, I lived in company flat behind whit truck.

DEANB:
Atlas Express 1976.

Click on pages twice.

I can remember Fred Kirby. Back in my days at Atlas Express. When Roy Ainsworth was transport manager and Ronnie Bristow was Despatch manager.

robthedog:

We had 2 of them Asda trailers at Leeds

i loved those 40’ single axle trailers.at Carryfast,we sometimes got them on hire from Dawson’s Rentals,iirc.

carryfast-yeti:
i loved those 40’ single axle trailers.at Carryfast,we sometimes got them on hire from Dawson’s Rentals,iirc.

I hated them 40foot single axle trailers, we had some with crown wallpaper on them bloody horrible things 14 ft 6 high as well

Heres an old one Atlas man.

It is an old one but a great pic were did you find it

atlas man:
It is an old one but a great pic were did you find it

Leyland Journal magazine from 1958. :wink:

NMP off FB

AM

TK

atlas man:
Thank you I wonder if they had more than one

um

Cargo