Atkinson-v-ERF-v-Foden-v-Scammell-v-Leyland & AEC

essexpete:

rigsby:

essexpete:

toxic gas man:
For me F0den twin steer, leyland 680 engine 12 speed box,brilliant, went like the proverbial sh-- off a shovel and pulled like a train. Ted.

Have you seen the YouTube clips of one being restored and driven?

I saw that when he first got it , known the bloke since he was little and worked with his late dad . He’s a real nut and bolt man , won’t settle for less than perfect .Now that is done he has an s80 rebuild on the go .

Is that Steve you are talking about? He does not seem to post on YouTube at the moment. He very kindly replies to questions and comment that folk make.

His name is Shaun iirc , not seen him for ages since he built the big gates in front of his garage , he lives opposite our sons house . He remembered me from when I drove a similar Foden , but with a ■■■■■■■ e290 . That was back in 1979 , dawn of history .

Starting on artics in '76 I drove ERF’s Fodens Leylands and Scammells of that era, didn’t get to grips with Atkis much at all not until the Sed Ack 400 came on the scene in the late 70s, the only AEC i drove was a Mandator that was sluggardly slow and lacked power steering as did so many wagons of the period.

For comfort the Scammell Handyman was the best riding, sadly the two we had were saddled with a Gardner 180 but as i recall had power steering and otherwise really nice to drive.
Fodens pre S40 the hardest most boneshaking ride (almost matched by early A series), S40 was much better in that regard, presumably better ride being partly the result of the move to longer wheelbases.
ERF A series let more draughts through than enough, night trunking at the time in one, perishing cold.

My favourites of the time were Leyland’s Buffalo, ERF A+ with ■■■■■■■ engines, and Scammell’s Crusader with the Rolls engine, the Crusader was a bit of handful ride and handling wise till you got used to it, the last of the A+ ERF’s were really quite decent to drive.
Buffalo was a peculiarly rewarding drive (for as long as the engine held together), to date possibly the best matching of gearbox to engine i’ve used (apart from F90 MAN with Eaton Twin Split, gearbox perfection), you could keep the turbo on song upshifting though the gears making good progress that only much higher powered foreign vehicles could match, Buffalo also handled better than all the others.

Ironically, in more recent times the Scania 112 stands out as having a ride quality to equal those old early 70’s boneshakers, quite shocking to see no dampers at fitted to the rear suspension in such a comparably modern design, and from what i read on the main forum some modern Merc tractors are still boneshakers…how did they manage that on air susp, 80s and 90s Mercs i drove on steel springs, even day cabs, being some of the best riding wagons i’ve ever been in.

(Juddian wrote)- Fodens pre S40 the hardest most boneshaking ride (almost matched by early A series), S40 was much better in that regard, presumably better ride being partly the result of the move to longer wheelbases.

The S40 had a sprung cab with dampers, same as the S50 halfcabs, so that probably helped the ride.

Pete.

It wasn’t just the ride of the Pre S40 Fodens Pete, recalling also the pounding your arms and shoulder suffered via steering column which was bolted directly to the chassis, had to be experienced to realise just how hard those things were on the body.
When we lie in bed sometimes wondering why so many parts hurt, its little wonder :laughing:

Juddian:
Starting on artics in '76 I drove ERF’s Fodens Leylands and Scammells of that era, didn’t get to grips with Atkis much at all not until the Sed Ack 400 came on the scene in the late 70s, the only AEC i drove was a Mandator that was sluggardly slow and lacked power steering as did so many wagons of the period.

For comfort the Scammell Handyman was the best riding, sadly the two we had were saddled with a Gardner 180 but as i recall had power steering and otherwise really nice to drive.
Fodens pre S40 the hardest most boneshaking ride (almost matched by early A series), S40 was much better in that regard, presumably better ride being partly the result of the move to longer wheelbases.
ERF A series let more draughts through than enough, night trunking at the time in one, perishing cold.

My favourites of the time were Leyland’s Buffalo, ERF A+ with ■■■■■■■ engines, and Scammell’s Crusader with the Rolls engine, the Crusader was a bit of handful ride and handling wise till you got used to it, the last of the A+ ERF’s were really quite decent to drive.
Buffalo was a peculiarly rewarding drive (for as long as the engine held together), to date possibly the best matching of gearbox to engine i’ve used (apart from F90 MAN with Eaton Twin Split, gearbox perfection), you could keep the turbo on song upshifting though the gears making good progress that only much higher powered foreign vehicles could match, Buffalo also handled better than all the others.

Ironically, in more recent times the Scania 112 stands out as having a ride quality to equal those old early 70’s boneshakers, quite shocking to see no dampers at fitted to the rear suspension in such a comparably modern design, and from what i read on the main forum some modern Merc tractors are still boneshakers…how did they manage that on air susp, 80s and 90s Mercs i drove on steel springs, even day cabs, being some of the best riding wagons i’ve ever been in.

Interesting you mention the Scammell Handyman gave a good ride. I believe the Michelloti-cabbed Mk 2 & 3 were offered with the Leyland 0.680 with an AEC 6-sp 'box (probably the TET constant-mesh one). I think I might have felt at home in one of those!

ERF-NGC-European:

Juddian:

Interesting you mention the Scammell Handyman gave a good ride. I believe the Michelloti-cabbed Mk 2 & 3 were offered with the Leyland 0.680 with an AEC 6-sp 'box (probably the TET constant-mesh one). I think I might have felt at home in one of those!

Anyone remember if the earlier Scammell-cabbed Handyman had this driveline?

mckelvie.jpg

rigsby:

essexpete:

toxic gas man:
For me F0den twin steer, leyland 680 engine 12 speed box,brilliant, went like the proverbial sh-- off a shovel and pulled like a train. Ted.

I saw that when he first got it , known the bloke since he was little and worked with his late dad . He’s a real nut and bolt man , won’t settle for less than perfect .Now that is done he has an s80 rebuild on the go .

youtu.be/u40FHBpVTPU
This one?

essexpete:

rigsby:

essexpete:

toxic gas man:

youtu.be/u40FHBpVTPU
This one?

I think Rigsby mean (Shaun) from Buxton aka Cabac S80 on YouTube and essexpete means Steve Mayle .

Juddian:
It wasn’t just the ride of the Pre S40 Fodens Pete, recalling also the pounding your arms and shoulder suffered via steering column which was bolted directly to the chassis, had to be experienced to realise just how hard those things were on the body.
When we lie in bed sometimes wondering why so many parts hurt, its little wonder :laughing:

Our S40’s had exactly the same steering setup as the previous S36 and 39 models and also our half cabs, everything was interchangeable. Possibly our eight wheelers gave a better ride than a tractor unit though, I have never ridden in an artic?

Pete.

ERF-NGC-European:

Juddian:

i love this photo , i have it as the screen saver on my work PC, leyland 680 and semi auto 5 speed plus splitter, ex watney mann, quickest box ever i reckon, certainly made up for lack of power, dad was proud of this one.

tonyj105:

ERF-NGC-European:

Juddian:

i love this photo , i have it as the screen saver on my work PC, leyland 680 and semi auto 5 speed plus splitter, ex watney mann, quickest box ever i reckon, certainly made up for lack of power, dad was proud of this one.

Good pic! Would the semi-auto have been an early Pneumocylic one as used on Leylands?

I think that the Scammell Handyman’s (men?) with the Leyland engine and AEC gearbox were BRS specced trucks?

Pete.

ERF-NGC-European:

tonyj105:

ERF-NGC-European:

Juddian:

Good pic! Would the semi-auto have been an early Pneumocylic one as used on Leylands?

pretty sure it was , the only one’s i’d seen like it were on leyland coaches , the big column casting with a gate change , small gearlever with a lift up collar for reverse and the splitter on the side , the splitter button packed up and the fitter thought it would be a whizz to put an eaton 2 speed button on the back of the column , but it sort of knackered the split shifting because it was such a quick changing box , managed to bang my head on the roof changing down on the way to telford with 21 tonnes on.

[/quote]
We had a few Scammell Routeman’s before we started buying Maggies, I much preferred the 680 and AEC box to the Rolls and DB box…

Ray

Looks like I’ve killed this thread :blush:

Ray

Guy Big J 8lxb:

Ray

Nah! We’re carefully considering responses to your last post. Personally, I believe I would have shared your preference from what I’ve pieced together. :sunglasses: As for the Mk 1 Handyman: there can’t be that many on here nowadays who ever drove one!

ERF-NGC-European:

Guy Big J 8lxb:

Ray

Nah! We’re carefully considering responses to your last post. Personally, I believe I would have shared your preference from what I’ve pieced together. :sunglasses: As for the Mk 1 Handyman: there can’t be that many on here nowadays who ever drove one!

This is one my Dad drove at his time working for Midlands Storage

Guy Big J 8lxb:

Ray

Pure envy here, the only Handymans i drove were Michelotti cabbed and always hobbled with a bloody 180 Gardner, an engine i came to detest, having got as cold as i’ve ever been when it dropped a valve in the middle of the night leaving me in a freezing A series ERF cab without any night kit (night trunker) for around 8 hours before recovery arrived, another story in itself.

A different beast entirely to the Crusader, which whilst a more powerful motor generally, suffered with a seriously hard ride and a handful to handle, thanks to an exhaust stack up the back of the day cabs we had, was a noisy beast too.