Atkinson -v- ERF-v-Foden-v- Leyland Group

We had AEC Marshals (before my time there though) and some of the drivers told me that the gearchange was very slow (possibly the 505 took a while for the rpm to drop?) and you had to go up hills from a standing start in whatever gear you set off in whereas with the Fodens they could rattle through a few cogs on the way up! However I know the AEC’s were very high geared as we had one on internal duties and it struggled to climb the bank to the quarry tip even in bottom gear.

I can’t comment on which vehicle was best though as in that time zone they were all before I had dealings with them. My time started around 1975! :wink:

Pete.

If it was the end product from any of these Id go for the 4000 Foden I had the earlier version and really liked it , I didnt like the E Series ERFs which I drove , I liked the Marathon which I had a brief drive of but never drove a Roadtrain , pretty useless information there :wink:

windrush:
We had AEC Marshals (before my time there though) and some of the drivers told me that the gearchange was very slow (possibly the 505 took a while for the rpm to drop?) and you had to go up hills from a standing start in whatever gear you set off in whereas with the Fodens they could rattle through a few cogs on the way up! However I know the AEC’s were very high geared as we had one on internal duties and it struggled to climb the bank to the quarry tip even in bottom gear.

I can’t comment on which vehicle was best though as in that time zone they were all before I had dealings with them. My time started around 1975! :wink:

Pete.

Well Im IMOO, From my early days in the 50s, I was A Bedford man, I drove a Bedford A model 4 wheeler flat, The the firm I worked for in those days was Baxters Road Services, Who bought some Ex Brs crap when Denstionliaston came about, What A ■■■■■■■ great relief To the proper Haulage firms who were deprivived from having worked very ,very hard to build up a good bussiness & get back into Running the countrys Haulage Co,s the way proper & correct way , Im Old & tired But I have Diesel in my Blood, Plus I do drink Glenmorangie Single Malts, So good luck to all the Wagon Men.

The first Truck I ever rode in was an A series ERF with 220 ■■■■■■■■ Still have a soft spot for them

Stupot:
The first Truck I ever rode in was an A series ERF with 220 ■■■■■■■■ Still have a soft spot for them

Lawrence Dunbar:

windrush:

Pete.

Well Im IMOO, From my early days in the 50s, I was A Bedford man, I drove a Bedford A model 4 wheeler flat, The the firm I worked for in those days was Baxters Road Services, Who bought some Ex Brs crap when Denstionliaston came about, What A [zb] great relief To the proper Haulage firms who were deprivived from having worked very ,very hard to build up a good bussiness & get back into Running the countrys Haulage Co,s the way proper & correct way , Im Old & tired But I have Diesel in my Blood, Plus I do drink Glenmorangie Single Malts, So good luck to all the Wagon Men.

Good on you Larry mate ! you are spot on BRS was an unmitigated disaster and the ■■■■■■■ Labour Government was responsible ! Lord help us if they ever get their mits on the levers of power again ! :cry: :open_mouth: :blush: Cheers Dennis.

I’ve just spoken to my long retired father about this subject to get a driver’s opinion. He said he really liked the AEC`s he had and also the Atkinson Borderer. He wasn’t quite so keen on the Fodens though, preferring ERF’s. During his time on tippers he said his favorite was the Scammell Routeman that he had new in 1975. In 1979 he was driving a rather elderly (but tidy) Atkinson Borderer which was replaced by a brand new Foden Fleetmaster. Unbelievably he said he actually prefured the Atki…like many drivers though, he said the best he ever had was a Volvo F12.

Bewick:

Stupot:

Apart from the indicators that’s the type

stevejones:
leyland marathon m/e spec everytime :smiley:

Wrong Choice SteveJones
Astran used a Leyland Marathon on loan from Leyland for the
London to Doha film made by BBC.
Astran would not recommend it as it was lucky to get there.
The mechanic had his work cut out during the trip.
BRS Leyland Marathons were trouble as well on the M/E.
Every time you seen them the cab was tilted lol.