atkins derby

truckerash:
Hi Carl: This is how I will always remember Atkins. The splendid red, brown and yellow. One of smartest liveries around in it’s time.

and heres an “old un”. An Atki for Atkins… :wink: get it :confused:

Thats why i nominated them for the "Great British Haulier" thread, I was still a bit miffed that the response was ZERO, but, obviously, this thread has better taste :open_mouth: [Ill get me tin hat]

Cracking livery, cracking kit [for the period], very forward thinking [again, for the period].

And, fearless when up against the dock union, I think they were still banned from a port in the south, right upto their sale + demise :open_mouth:

The main man there was paronoid about “revs”, their tacho`s all had a “rev” read out on the back, IIRC :sunglasses:

Support everything you say Stanley about Atkins. Being a Derby lad, I always had a soft spot for them (no jokes, please!). As the amazing Wheel Nut found out (how does he find all these stories and info?), I once wrote a story for my local paper about my brief experience with Atkins (thanks for the kind comments, too, regarding that, by Frankydobo, etc). In fact, one of the ex Atkins bosses read it and came around to our house to present me with a model Atkinson in Atkins livery and various other bits of memorabilia. So, in my book it’s definitely FB Atkins as Greatest British Haulier.

Ah yes can anyone that worked 85-90 remember Pam from Felixstowe depot, George, Vera and Harry Bishop at Tilbury
and not forgetting our friends in the North at Dewsbury Alan Stanger and the two Johns??

Antos:
Ah yes can anyone that worked 85-90 remember Pam from Felixstowe depot, George, Vera and Harry Bishop at Tilbury
and not forgetting our friends in the North at Dewsbury Alan Stanger and the two Johns??

My mate used to live next door to “TOGO”, a VERY large night man based @ Findern.

He said his nightly run was DERBY - Felix - Dewsbury - DERBY, drop trailers @ each depot, his VERY large right foot to the floor :open_mouth:

Some going, if it was true :unamused:

Don’t recall seeing many with the plain white livery. Was there any particular reason why?

Thanks to Bubbleman