Astran / Middle East Drivers

harry:

The EU Traction O/D is the tall one standing in front of the Volvo, can’t remember his name?

The one on the left looks like a young Davey Miller.

Harry…The tall guy, and the owner of the European Traction Scania, ( stood in front of the Volvo,) is John Cahill, from Amphill Bedford. I did a trip with him in 1970.

He went on to work as a Port manager in Saudia I think.

Some more pic’s of that Scania…

Harry…The tall guy, and the owner of the European Traction Scania, ( stood in front of the Volvo,) is John Cahill, from Amphill Bedford. I did a trip with him in 1970.

The Scania on the far left is SCA.John was a good bloke, used to see him in Italy a lot.I always remember the big telephone on the door.
Look at the size of them mirrors!!
Thats M/Blanc ,Italian side French customs.

harry:

The Scania on the far left is SCA.John was a good bloke, used to see him in Italy a lot.I always remember the big telephone on the door.

Correct Harry, as you say, Italian side of the Blanc…the other trucks are Cawthorn and Sinclare, and Jamesoms ( Southampton depot ) The F86 was a company from London, can’t remember the name, but think the drivers name was John…all many years ago…

Sorry to go off topic…

Hi Gavin, nice place, but honesty box & TIR Drivers!!!.

Dave.

davemackie:
Hi Gavin, nice place, but honesty box & TIR Drivers!!!.

Dave.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know !!
But we could always do like the Arbies did, count the bottles (or crates) at the end of the session !! That would work wouldnt it ?
I’m getting a Les Routiers sign made to hang outside. :wink:
GS

Fergie47:

harry:
is that bun in centre front of volvo
The EU Traction O/D is the tall one standing in front of the Volvo, can’t remember his name?

The one on the left looks like a young Davey Miller.

!(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/fergie47/CCF20052008_00000-5.jpg[/img

[/quote]
)

RON (Jock) BELL, who worked for Asian Transport - late 1960’s - and was one of their first driver’s, has passed away at the age of 76.
He had been fighting cancer but sadly lost his battle on 7th December. Another one of the “long haul pioneers” to go to the big truckstop in the sky…
Here is Ron (on the right) and Bob Paul enjoying the Astran Grand reunion, Sept 2010.

And here he is (on the left) enjoying some al-fresco cooking with Asian Transport mates Peter Cannon (centre) and Ray Neal.

R.I.P Jock

This was posted in another thread and I wondered if it would be better here.

toowise:
Back in the early 90s I was doing a fairly regular run down to Kraguvac in the former Yugoslavia (now Serbia).
I used to stop at a restaurant/truckstop near the Hungarian - Yugo border “The White House” if my memory serves me right :unamused:

On my way down one week a driver asked if I could give him a lift home due to his truck breaking down, however as I was heading the opposite way I was unable to help.
One my way back 2 days later his truck was still parked up and he was nowhere to be seen so he must have got a lift.

Anyway 2 weeks later I’m back down there again, his truck is still parked there but its now a complete shell , anything and everything that could have been removed had been.
I dont know what nationality had done the damage but a lot of Brits used to stop there :unamused: :unamused:

On another point has anyone still got any of those bright red straps with “STOLEN FROM SALLY” written on them :laughing:

I suggested that someone may have photos of the White House during that time. I do seem to remember a lorry abandoned at the side of the building about that time.

truckerash:
RON (Jock) BELL, who worked for Asian Transport - late 1960’s - and was one of their first driver’s, has passed away at the age of 76.
He had been fighting cancer but sadly lost his battle on 7th December. Another one of the “long haul pioneers” to go to the big truckstop in the sky…
Here is Ron (on the right) and Bob Paul enjoying the Astran Grand reunion, Sept 2010.

And here he is (on the left) enjoying some al-fresco cooking with Asian Transport mates Peter Cannon (centre) and Ray Neal.

R.I.P Jock

Very Sad
I am so pleased you got them together Ash, just for a last reunion before their final trip :frowning:

If anyone knew Ron Bell, or would simply like to pay their respects then his son-in-law Gary Bone says please do so;

The funeral is on:
Friday 16th December 2011 at 2.30pm at :
Hendon Crematorium,
Holders Hill road,
London. NW7 1NB.

FLOWERS; the address of the funeral Directors is:
Co-operative funeralcare
60-62 Shenley road,
Borehamwood
Herts
WD61DS

The flowers need to be at the funeral Directors before 11.00am on the
Friday 16th December 2011.

CARDS;
Ron Bell
c/o Gary Bone
23 Buckinghamm Road
Borehamwood
Herts
WD6 2RA

So sad, R.I.P Ron Bell ,will be there to say farewell

Roger Haywood.

R.I.P mr bell :frowning: :frowning:

gaz

So sad to learn of Ron’s departure, Sincere condolences to his family Fred

Rip Jock, had the pleasure of meeting you at my uncle Noel’s 60th, it was great to spend some time talking to you about your time with Asian Transport/Astran.

Fergie47:

harry:

Correct Harry, as you say, Italian side of the Blanc…the other trucks are Cawthorn and Sinclare, and Jamesoms ( Southampton depot ) The F86 was a company from London, can’t remember the name, but think the drivers name was John…all many years ago…

Sorry to go off topic…

Far left of the photo looks like a Febland Kangaroo trailer

dazteahan:
Rip Jock, had the pleasure of meeting you at my uncle Noel’s 60th, it was great to spend some time talking to you about your time with Asian Transport/Astran.

DAZ: I have sent you a PM. Regards ASH.

daz your uncle noal is a great friend of mine i have subbed for astran for a few years now but many years ago it was me that went out to nantua in france to tow noel home when he pulled a piston in micks old globe trotter we all worked for whittle then went with leon and steve when they started ashworth preece i remember the day he told leon he had a blow out leon said what on noel said 3 bottles of frizzante and 2 plates of spagetti leon was not happy

Hi Keith

I went out to Italy in the globetrotter in it’s first trip out of the paint shop. I will have a look in the loft as i have got a few pics of it. If i remember rightly she was ex ACH B16??UFC.

Keith/Daz, is that Globetrotter you’re talking about the maroon one?