Astran / Middle East Drivers

This cracking shot of Mack (NMP) is Syrian by the look of it.

There were still quite a lot of these old Titans in the M/E and N/Africa when I was going down.

Anyone see this film ?

me astran feb 19th 78.PNG

DEANB:
Anyone see this film ?

Whoever wrote the report didn’t bother to mention the title of the film! :unamused:

ERF-NGC-European:
“DEANB” Anyone see this film ?

Whoever wrote the report didn’t bother to mention the title of the film! :unamused:

I think you would remember as apart from Destination Doha,dont know of any other’s. Ashley did not know about it. :wink:

Just stumbled across a Turkish Facebook Group - NOSTALJÄ° KAMYONLAR (NOSTALGIA TRUCKS)

Lots of pictures of Tonkas, but also quite a few of us lot passing through, worth a look I think.

Amazon.co.uk currently show 3 copies of Cola Cowboys in stock, ÂŁ225, but there if you want them

acd1202:
Amazon.co.uk currently show 3 copies of Cola Cowboys in stock, ÂŁ225, but there if you want them

For guys that were never lucky enough to do the M/E,and if you have ÂŁ225 to spare,go for it!
It makes me more determined to write my own book now,only cost you £100,and that’s because I know you!

whisperingsmith:
Just stumbled across a Turkish Facebook Group - NOSTALJÄ° KAMYONLAR (NOSTALGIA TRUCKS)

Lots of pictures of Tonkas, but also quite a few of us lot passing through, worth a look I think.

Redirecting...

That’s a great site.
Thanks

whisperingsmith:

NOSTALJÄ° KAMYONLAR | Facebook

OK, I know it’s not Astrans, but this screen shot of Ford NWL137H (a day cab!) from the link above would seem to relate to this story from 1970:

historicaircraftcollection. … d_rest.htm

or this one, same text but with different pictures

aerovintage.co.uk/hawker-hind/

and if you look at this framed print in detail (hover over the picture) the lorry is in the picture(?)

mediastorehouse.co.uk/mary- … modalClose

beegee:

whisperingsmith:

NOSTALJÄ° KAMYONLAR | Facebook

OK, I know it’s not Astrans, but this screen shot of Ford NWL137H (a day cab!) from the link above would seem to relate to this story from 1970:

historicaircraftcollection. … d_rest.htm

or this one, same text but with different pictures

aerovintage.co.uk/hawker-hind/

and if you look at this framed print in detail (hover over the picture) the lorry is in the picture(?)

mediastorehouse.co.uk/mary- … modalClose

Is this any help?

Great picture, thanks.

Can’t help wondering from the look on the co-drivers face (on the right) what is going through his mind.

beegee:
Great picture, thanks.

Can’t help wondering from the look on the co-drivers face (on the right) what is going through his mind.

:laughing: Yes indeed! Sharing a day-cabbed D-series all the way to Kabul and back would strain the nerves a little.

It wasn’t the last D-series to head east either. This lot set out for Kathmandu in about '75 if the reg-no is anything to go by:

ERF-NGC-European:

beegee:
Great picture, thanks.

:laughing: Yes indeed! Sharing a day-cabbed D-series all the way to Kabul and back would strain the nerves a little.

It wasn’t the last D-series to head east either. This lot set out for Kathmandu in about '75 if the reg-no is anything to go by:

July 1976 I drove a new Ford D1000 rigid chassis cab UK to Tehran,Then flew home was paid ÂŁ500 for the trip.

PASTTRUCKING:

ERF-NGC-European:

beegee:
Great picture, thanks.

July 1976 I drove a new Ford D1000 rigid chassis cab UK to Tehran,Then flew home was paid ÂŁ500 for the trip.

Excellent! You have conveniently reminded us that in addition to round-trippers and sellers, there were deliverers of new vehicles!

PASTTRUCKING:

ERF-NGC-European:

beegee:
Great picture, thanks.

Very interesting, ÂŁ500 was really well paid back then for half a trip, for curiosity did you use hotels or sleep in the lorry, there were a few that used hotels and took twice as long to do a trip as the rest of us. It took me a month to do a round trip to Kuwait in the mid 70s in a Volvo F88 sleeping in the cab every night and got paid ÂŁ600.

jkR.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

You’re getting adept at spotting the details ion the background!

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

You’re getting adept at spotting the details ion the background!

I’m an old hand at it! I spent more time looking for ERF NGCs in the background of general '70s lorry scenes than I ever spent looking for photos of them when I was writing the books :laughing:

Terry Smith from Dow Freight and Roger Heywood in Izmir.
Photo courtesy of Terry Smith.

Terry Smith in Izmir..jpg