Astran / Middle East Drivers

glynn50:
Tehran in 1975,we shipped out of Felixstowe end of August did the train in Germany then Austria Yugoslavia,Bulgaria turkey stopped off at the Harem for 2 days and slept in a proper Bed and enjoyed the pool . We carried on across turkey where we hit the queue for the Bazergan border it took 2.5days to get through once through into Iran we headed for Tehran now I have question my dad told me As we came down a road toward a village /town the road deceives you , you think it’s going 1way but actually goes another and from memory there was a dish shaped fountain and he explained that possibly 3 Dutch drawbar trucks hit this fountain 1 took off ripping all axles off , another saw what happened took evasive action but finished up demolishing a house and the 3rd went between 2 houses and demolished them unfortunately there were a lot of fatalities could anybody confirm wether all or part of this is true , also after sitting at the Tehransnew customs for nearly a week, one stand pipe for water and talcum powder dusty conditions we moved to the international trade fair being held there (sept-Oct 75) we made camp and stayed approx 2 weeks for backload to GB via Astran, sorry for going on but after all these years I’ve often wondered I’m sure when we drove past the spot there was remains of the trucks still there. Ps I was 14 at the time and 57 so memory may have faded cheers for now

An American CCC Nahang built for the Iranian market - this one is Tehran registered. They came with 6x4, ■■■■■■■ NTC 290 and Fuller RT9509A. I notice that the Range-Rover in front is not unlike that of the BBC crew filming Destination Doha so perhaps a crew member took the pic! Robert

There’s a lot of fantasy crap out there with Astran on it, but I just thought this one was a cut above the usual! Robert

The next astran model - I hope!

silverstonejack:
Although Jim was not an Astran driver, perhaps somebody can help me.

Tekno, the well known Dutch truckmodel producer, is interested in doing a model of the late Jim Hacking’s truck.

Therefore Tekno would like to come into contact with the current owner.

Is there somone on this forum who can give me info about (or that might lead to) the current owner.

Any name/adress info preferably by a pm.

Many thanks for any help

(I tried to contact the company that sold the truck on Ebay in 2012, but the emailaddresses on their website were not valid anymore) If you go on Facebook and contact gavin boris four acre he knows where the Volvo is

■■■■ van den Heuvel
Holland

Just stumbled upon this, on one of those photo sites:

39cfab7fe9c62692eec5f0b56611c440.jpg
Looks like it has just come out of a paint shop.

You are right.
Mark Stewart’s 141 fresh out of Khamis’s garage in Doha. That picture is at the AC man on the old Salwa Road.
GS

You’ll no doubt be glad to know that ‘Truckerash’ (of Longhaul Pioneers fame) is still in pursuit of Astran hardware. Here he is on a tour of France paying a visit to Laurent Bres near Lyon to view, ride and drive France’s contribution to the Astran cult. And a splendid beast it is too! Robert

I regret to inform members that Geoff Taylor, aka ‘The Crow’, a middle east veteran from Manchester, passed away in the early hours of this morning after a short illness. Condolences to Geoff’s family and R.I.P.

gingerfold:
I regret to inform members that Geoff Taylor, aka ‘The Crow’, a middle east veteran from Manchester, passed away in the early hours of this morning after a short illness. Condolences to Geoff’s family and R.I.P.

There is a short post on Facebook from Gary Lyons and Jeffs brother Anthony who is not well himself.
Jeff was still driving up until 5 weeks ago [emoji22]

R.I.P. Crow…Safe trip driver.

The Crow was the best gaffer I ever had, a little rough around the edges but a top bloke,
My condolences to the family,

RIP, Geoff

Intresting clipping from 1967.

Click on twice to read.

DEANB:

Click on twice to read.

passed my psv test in one of those air buses they were turned into training buses on london transport

DEANB:

Click on twice to read.

Love it… ‘extras’ fitted to the Mammoth Major include fog lamps, snow chains and a sun reflector shield over the cab. What no sat-nav!!! No way boss, I’m off home to mummy.

Clipping from 1977.

astran 772.PNG

astran 771.PNG

So recently I met this nurse (unfortunatly on a professional level ) in the Royal Hobart Hospital. Its late at night and all is quiet in the ward apart from a bit of coughing and spluttering from some of the other inmates. She knows a bit about me cause she’s read my report at the bottom of the bed, and they usually have 7 Mate playing on the TV which is what Out Back Truckers is on… The next bit she tells me in 1973 when she was 7 and her sister was 11 Her mum and dad sold there house in Essex. bought a bus and drove overland to Australia. They quickly learnt to run with the trucks as it was winter. Two of the Brit drivers she could remember were both called Ray. one drove a yellow truck and I’m guessing that would be Ray Skuts. she thought the other RAY was called Toures, not sure of the spelling… 3 days waiting in the shadow of mount Arrarat @-40 saw her sister get very ill and they spent along time at the British embassy in Tehran. they were getting low on funds but some Brit and Dutch drivers had a whip round got them enough money food and visas sorted out sorted to get them as far as Lahore with the aid of a couple to Swiss French trucks (I’m guessing Ferderici)… They eventually ran out of money when they decided to detour to Kathmandu. (as was appropriate in the 1973 ).The buss was sold there and they came the rest of the way via Indian train then boat to Australia.The whole trip took them just under 2 years…One last bit The bloke she remembers as Ray Toures cut his hand very badly when he was trying to open a jar of pickled onions… Her mum was an RN and sorted it out for him… I’ve just taken 2 hours to right this as I only have one operational hand at the moment…and seemingly it’s illegal to drive any kind of vehicle in Australia while you have a plaster cast attached to your body.

Jeff…

so recently