Astran / Middle East Drivers

Cabdaddy:

Cabdaddy:

Buzzer:
Well I was one who never ventured into M/E transport like so many of you on here but I posted a picture on Davies International site as I was the founder of that company of a Barry.A.Titterall out of East India Dock Road, London. truck that showed me the way over Mont Cenis on my first trip to Italy. They both Had 140 Scania’s and me being in a lowly 110 had a job to keep up, any way the son of a driver sent me some shots of his fathers trucks, he worked for Astran and many other companies and here are a few he sent me. Any one recognise any of the trucks, the chap in question has the surname Hollands. He says he has loads of pics to send so will post when they arrive, cheers Buzzer.

Cabdaddy:

Cabdaddy:

Cabdaddy:

Buzzer:
Well I was one who never ventured into M/E transport like so many of you on here but I posted a picture on Davies International site as I was the founder of that company of a Barry.A.Titterall out of East India Dock Road, London. truck that showed me the way over Mont Cenis on my first trip to Italy. They both Had 140 Scania’s and me being in a lowly 110 had a job to keep up, any way the son of a driver sent me some shots of his fathers trucks, he worked for Astran and many other companies and here are a few he sent me. Any one recognise any of the trucks, the chap in question has the surname Hollands. He says he has loads of pics to send so will post when they arrive, cheers Buzzer.

Cabdaddy:

Cabdaddy:

Buzzer:

image.jpg

freshir:
Nice to get a reminder of Johnny Holland(s) you didn’t ,mention if it was John from Cantrell’s or Grangewood’s I wish him well - but stop him moaning although it was part of the job :slight_smile: Regards Fred

Grangewoods x
He subbed for Astran in the 70s then all fridge work from the 80s on,
I went everywhere with him, best days of my life for sure,

Thank you sir have a nice evening

image.jpg

Johnny Hollands, bloody hell, what a bloke. Ask him if he remembers the good old days in the Gin Palace and up at the Wig and Gown. Will you ask him if he’s heard anything of Pat Riley, I’ve not heard anything of him for many years either.

Hi guys a bloke called yucel is wanting to contact you he worked at the londra camping he I using some translating thing and is posting all over the shop I’ve posted him on the pro drivers thread to look on here but don’t know if he will understand help him out guys cheers

Hi Archie, Perhaps you may remember that there were two Johnny Holland’s - one on Cantrells and one on for Grangewood’s - I came across them both in my time, both were contrasting characters, the one on for Cantrells brought back memories as I was pulling into the PTT at Ankara on one occasion and see him sitting in front of his MAN at the top of the incline in his pants, when I approached him he said that his office had refused to give him four days off for whatever reason so i’m bloody well going to have it off here - memories eh ? regards Fred :laughing:

freshir:
Hi Archie, Perhaps you may remember that there were two Johnny Holland’s - one on Cantrells and one on for Grangewood’s - I came across them both in my time, both were contrasting characters, the one on for Cantrells brought back memories as I was pulling into the PTT at Ankara on one occasion and see him sitting in front of his MAN at the top of the incline in his pants, when I approached him he said that his office had refused to give him four days off for whatever reason so i’m bloody well going to have it off here - memories eh ? regards Fred :laughing:

Hullo Fred,
Do you know I am not quite sure. You see when I was a young lad I was at Sea, whilst I was away one trip my Parents moved to near Maidstone. When I came home on leaves I used to go into Maidstone and get Ratarsed until it was time to be off again. One of the lads that I knew and drank with in those days was a lad called Johnnie Hollands. This bloke, the one that has just put his Dad’s pictures on here, said his Dad was from Maidstone, so I assumed it was the same bloke. Johnnie Hollands that was on for Cantrells and when I knew him Mavertons, was as you said another bloke altogether. The last time I spoke to him, I never saw him, he was running a few Trucks pulling Hospital Scanners in Italy. My Son Nick, that died in Italy last year, was one of his Drivers until they went broke. I think your Grangewood man would be the one from Maidstone, being South of the Water like. By the way I had that long expected visit fro Ken a couple of months ago, he’s still Racing about, but in Vans. He will be moving over to Wales soon he told me. It was as you may imagine, good to see him.

Thanks Archie, interesting bit of feedback, I reckon that will go into the unsolved mysteries box. Re: Kenny’s move the last time I spoke to him it had blown out 'cos he was being ###### about with his buyer so I am now looking for an alternative holiday :slight_smile: good luck - regards Fred

Look what my mate is drinking. :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Andrew AKA overnight sensation is my grandad who is still fit and well :slight_smile:

Efes in a can? It ain’t natural!

David

Efes is on sale in Weathespoon’s -

My mate is on holiday in Turkey.

Cans are good, bottles are best.
Remember calling in at Oryx’so outside Adana after a Mickley Chinnock & co late night drinking session. Not good, eggs and eckmek delayed by an hour to clear up broken bar furniture.

ooh dear…
All the very best
Mick B

PanX:
Cans are good, bottles are best.
Remember calling in at Oryx’so outside Adana after a Mickley Chinnock & co late night drinking session. Not good, eggs and eckmek delayed by an hour to clear up broken bar furniture.

The infamous Mr. Chinnock.

He left his mark, or should that be ‘scars’, in many an establishment !!

But away from the demon drink he was a very amicable fella.

“Alright Shag”…

Steve.

Anyone who went Hamburg or Bremerhaven to the Middle East went from the colour world of the west to the black and white of communist Eastern Europe.

It was like going from 1975 to 1955 in about an hour.

The East Germans had stalag type towers, with machine gun holding soldiers watching what was going on. The fences were razor wire. There was a ‘no man’s land’, mined, with trip wires to alert the guards. In theory, this was to stop the Western Europeans, who could obviously see the advantages of living in the East, coming over!

Apart from complaining at a diplomatic level when someone was killed, no western democracy did anything about it.

I honestly wish no human being, or indeed, any animal, any harm. However, there is a ‘plague of men upon the earth’ to quote a favourite author of mine.

We do not have the resources to cope with them all.

The BBC has a songs of praise from the Sangatte camp.

Stopping something as soon as possible is surely the way to deal with it, not pretending that it isn’t a problem?

John

s27.jpg

Crackin pics Robert !!
R Jimski

Jimski:
Crackin pics Robert !!
R Jimski

Like to keep a foot in the Astran camp! :wink:

Cheers old mate! Robert