As a truck driver, which European language is best to learn

Carryfast:

tmcassett:
I can’t actually help you with your desire to be a truck driver and head off round Europe. For clarity, I am a class 1 driver myself but have never done continental driving as I have only been in the industry for 11 years and quite frankly it has never been of interest to me.

But a couple of bits of info for your benefit - Ignore any advice, opinion or stories from Carryfast, a man who was desperate to do the same as you but in the heyday or Euro driving of the 80’s & 90’s and yet failed miserably (Seemingly impossible in those days). As have been evident when he posts on here everytime the subject comes up, instead choosing to blame everything but his terrible attitude and even worse work ethic for why no employer would go near him and coming up with the laughable excuse that the entire HGV industry conspired against him and that his face didn’t fit.

^ The irony.
Carryfast the man who literally broke his back through being kicked in the teeth by the industry that he chose to make a career in from day 1.
Who said zb em if they won’t give him a truck to drive across Europe he’ll jump in his car for his holidays and drive that as far, or further in many cases than many supposed ‘international’ drivers, who often didn’t go much further than France and Benelux.
As opposed to a local shop delivery driver who has stated as having no interest in and probably wouldn’t know how to drive anything further than Dover without a sat nav.
Or for that matter dealing with all the different languages from Scandinavia to the Balkans.

No irony from me. Just letting the OP know to ignore anything you have to say on the subject because you have no experience or knowledge of Euro truck driving. We all know why you have no experience and your spectacular failing with this. But unlike you I admitted I can’t actually help him/her with actual real life examples or offer an opinion on it as I have never done it, nor as I say have any desire to do it.

But, and this is a big but, I know of local companies to me in the East Midlands who do go into Europe and if I was interested in landing a job doing that I know exactly what I would be doing to ensure I maximised my chances of doing so - which I pointed out to the OP in my post on the previous page. Switchlogic makes a very good point above this post, you may start with a company who does Euro work and get sent off abroad from day 1, but you may also have to prove yourself as a good employee in the UK first and then you will earn the chance. Clearly you never grasped this concept of how employment sometimes works, hence why no-one would even employ you on UK work this century.

As for my job, I’m perfectly happy plodding about on day work in minimum spec trucks doing supermarket/retailer type stuff (as I have done for the majority of the 11 years I’ve had my Class 1 licence), largely because trucks are of zero interest to me, and quite frankly I find distance work of any sort mind numbingly tedious.

My suggestion if you want to do Europe, is forget your truck licence and get a coach licence instead. You’ve missed the boat this year, but apply for the training trip for this company in 2024, and you could be doing 30 day tours around Europe with all young people. No moaning old codgers on board. However, you would have to improve your social skills if you wanted this life.

youtu.be/b815Va0rI7A

switchlogic:
So you weren’t prepared to commit to the age old practice of proving yourself on U.K. work at a company before being sent out and it’s all other people’s fault? At Virginia I had to prove myself on U.K. work before they sent me further afield and I simply accepted that as normal practice, which it is. And you only have to do that once, once you have that on your CV companies will generally happily put you straight on international work when you choose to swap jobs, provided your references check out. My first European job was HSF and I had to go with another driver for a week before I was let loose on my own, again just normal practice, esp since I’d not driven LHD before.

If they wanted me to ‘prove’ myself on UK work first they obviously would have told me that on the phone instead of asking me to go to bleedin Dover regarding an international job, let alone job offer.To which my answer ( would ) have been if my previous proven UK experience with references doesn’t count don’t waste my time and they obviously knew it.
The truth is the very rare case of an international work vacancy let alone offer, was all too predictably changed and withdrawn, totally in line with my suspicions of it being a bait and switch stunt to fill unwanted UK work vacancies and obviously in no way fits Harry’s claims, regarding the industry recruitment standards, for the few international vacancies out there then or now.
Unless your face fits of course.
So my advice is ask what is the first run you’ll be doing and exactly where and when before even thinking about handing in your notice from a regular job.
The idea that international work isn’t generally a closed shop, based on extreme luck and/or who you know to get a start, makes as much sense as learning to speak any one specific European language fluently for use in the job, if you can get it.
As for LHD I went straight from driving a 7.5tonner to generally over 10 feet wide centre drive and other assorted LHD trucks within a week of passing my class 2, running through busy greater London urban high streets and no one including me thought anything of it simply because RHD trucks in that job were the exception.

citycat:
My suggestion if you want to do Europe, is forget your truck licence and get a coach licence instead. You’ve missed the boat this year, but apply for the training trip for this company in 2024, and you could be doing 30 day tours around Europe with all young people. No moaning old codgers on board. However, you would have to improve your social skills if you wanted this life.

youtu.be/b815Va0rI7A

Good plan! We have just been on a 5 day coach tour of the south coast from Yorkshire. Our driver, a guy well in his 60’s, was telling us he was taking a ski-ing trip to Austria the week after. He had been all over Europe in his life as a coach driver. Good hotels and free food included…

citycat:

youtu.be/b815Va0rI7A

I agree coach driving round Europe is better than truck driving but that particular job does require a certain sort of driver to get on well with it, usually younger themselves. I’d have loved that when you and did apply to Contiki who did similar back in day but wouldn’t do it now. There’s a bit of a shortage in coach driving world for euro drivers after many left and stayed away during covid.

I did a video on coach driving vs truck driving. I often get asked which is better and people are often surprised considering my career TikTok - Make Your Day

Sorry to hijack thread a bit here.but What’s
the best way to learn a foreign language.
These days guessing maybe via an app or Something?. And if so anybody recommend one

edd1974:
Sorry to hijack thread a bit here.but What’s
the best way to learn a foreign language.
These days guessing maybe via an app or Something?. And if so anybody recommend one

App called Duolingo. Friend learnt Spanish on it

There’s a pub nearby to me where the landlords son sometimes works and plays piano. He’s obviously got an aptitude for languages because he apparently speaks over twenty languages fluently and colloquially. His Dad told me once that as a kid he was obsessed with watching Peppa Pig and knew every word by heart. He then started watching it in different languages with English subtitles and learned that way.

Genius.

switchlogic:
I did a video on coach driving vs truck driving. I often get asked which is better and people are often surprised considering my career TikTok - Make Your Day

You are correct in your video. You are seeing people at their best and getting to enjoy the holiday alongside them. You don’t do it for the money, you do it for the lifestyle, experiences and memories a tour can bring. There are not many driving gigs where you get the front seat in a helicopter in the Swiss Alps, watching as some of your passengers jump out to skydive. Or going on the walking tour of Rome with them at sunset and enjoying their excitement as they see the floodlit city.

As the OP said he was young and without ties, that’s why I was suggesting this type of work in coaching as opposed to taking the OAP’s to the seaside which is suited to the more mature driver.

However, as he has suggested that he feels a bit awkward in social situations, this might be a setback in this line of work.

citycat:

switchlogic:

You are correct in your video. You are seeing people at their best and getting to enjoy the holiday alongside them. You don’t do it for the money, you do it for the lifestyle, experiences and memories a tour can bring. There are not many driving gigs where you get the front seat in a helicopter in the Swiss Alps, watching as some of your passengers jump out to skydive. Or going on the walking tour of Rome with them at sunset and enjoying their excitement as they see the floodlit city.

As the OP said he was young and without ties, that’s why I was suggesting this type of work in coaching as opposed to taking the OAP’s to the seaside which is suited to the more mature driver.

However, as he has suggested that he feels a bit awkward in social situations, this might be a setback in this line of work.

Exactly this. On my first ever tour, to Norway I went up in a 4 seater seaplane taking off from the fjord, stayed in some of the best hotels in the world, pretty much been to most of the major attractions in Europe, Versailles was my favourite, eaten dinner while floating down the Rhine, been to more vineyards than I can remember, been snowboarding many times, walked on a glacier in Norway, eaten in some amazing restaurants, been to the British GP, twice, the Grand National, been on a Christmas and Easter pilgrimage to Lourdes and many other things. I was always surprised at how many drivers just stay with the coach all day. At Versailles I talked to a British driver who had been many times and stayed with the coach, I said ‘you must have been round the house and garden many times?’ to which he replied ‘no, never’. Mind boggling. I find also passengers love it when you get involved with everything and show a bit of enthusiasm and great being able to talk to them about the visit afterwards. If/when I get my licence back while my full time driving days are behind me I will do several coach tours a year.

That Lourdes is something else isn’t it. I’ve never seen so many shops filled with tat.

Jesus on the cross, Jesus as a table lamp, Jesus on the cross and his eyes light up when you switch him on, Last supper figurines, crosses of all sizes, glow in the dark crosses. I never knew there was such an industry.

Saying that, it is quite a moving event at Easter, when there is the candle lit procession and the singing. Worth seeing. Never would have gone if I didn’t drive a coach there.

Also, getting lost in the Tuscany countryside on a beautiful evening. The group walking behind the coach as I reversed three kilometres down a country lane with vineyards on both sides. Even though we were lost, the group loved it and the walk back to the main road.

Yep, lots of experiences and memories in coaching. Also bad ones like trying to find the hotel in tight back streets in Antwerp, with a canal on one side and parked cars on the other, but then you laugh about it later when it is all over and you are having that welcome beer at a pavement cafe.

Yup that’s the way I get through any awful situation, just remind myself it’ll make a great story one day

SeaOcean:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Get an Eire passport if eligible, and so get a better choice of jobs.

I will consider an Eire passport if I find it really difficult. There might be an easier way though. I’ll see what happens.

Absolutely not required unless you want to live and/or work in European mainland.

There is loads of Euro work available to you without too much effort.

Northern Ireland is in the U.K. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Loads of companies over there running to Europe mainly with goods from Southern Ireland and your U.K. driving licence and DCPC card are fully valid to go all over Europe and beyond with them.

Many of these guys push on fairly hard so perhaps not for the novice but some are very decent. I imagine Carna Transport are amongst the good ones with no shortage of destinations but Beefy and other locals would be much more knowledgeable.

Ireland (Eire in Gaelic language) is the official name for the South and we know this is an EU country.

Due to a long shared history there are some unique agreements between U.K. and Ireland that supersede EU arrangements.

UK citizens are free to live and work in Ireland whenever they want for as long as they want and vice a versa. No permits, visas or anything else required. :smiley: :smiley:

So technically U.K. citizens are still free to live and work in the EU or at least in a very small corner of it.

Truck drivers will need an Irish Driving Licence and Irish or other EU DCPC (but not UK) card to drive for an Irish Operators Licence holder (Irish Haulier).

U.K. drivers licences in all categories can be simply exchanged for the Irish equivalent online.
ndls.ie/licensed-driver/exc … cence.html

The transition period for exchanging UK DCPC has passed so I believe an initial Irish or other EU DCPC will be required which is not a big deal anyway.
rsa.ie/services/professiona … pc-drivers

There are many hauliers in Ireland doing Euro work and there are plenty of openings there and I’m told they pay more than Northern Ireland.
I would suggest looking at Irish companies close to a Ryanair route from your local airport.

Also some of the larger Irish companies have UK branches (UK trucks and Operators Licence). Nolan’s, Dixon, O Toole (I think). Some of these just do UK work, some go over and back to Ireland and others pick up transiting trailers in Rugby etc and head on to deliver in Europe. So these this type of operation might be an easier introduction to the next rung on the ladder.

The Touring Bands business for Europe was mostly done by UK hauliers, ask Harry and others. A hard Brexit and the resulting max days per annum in Europe is causing real headaches as well as the cabotage requirements and the Tachograph requirement for drivers to return home at least every 4 weeks. Many of those same UK hauliers have set up token Irish branches to overcome some of those problems and their head offices cannot be too far from you so make your enquiries with them.

Even the main UK branch can suddenly but regularly become desperate for a driver to replace a faller during the touring season and if you are on their contact list and available rather than experienced when they phone you are on your way within hours.

But if I were back in your shoes I would go to my nearest cross channel port at ferry arrival time and make a list of every UK truck I see coming off the ferry. Sometimes you may need the reg as the paint job might just be the company they are pulling for. That way you will get a feel for the big and small companies going abroad from your area.

Then do a few more ports, talk to drivers, and build up a picture of who is in the game. Then you must call in personally to say hello to the hiring guy and give him your details just like Harry did.

Your break will come. There is some class 2 work to the continent, mostly removals or horses or bands but I would push ahead with a class 1 asap because you can get comfortable in class 2 and this narrows your opportunities.

The short answer to your question is FRENCH but in true Trucknet fashion we usually answer everything except the question that was asked.

I pick French because the routier restaurants are fab but you do not get a choice of seat not to mind choice of table. You simply have to sit beside the guy before you and the 6-10 drivers eat dinner together at each table. Once in a blue moon you might meet another Brit or Paddy, possibly a Dutchman and never an EE but 99.9% you will break bread and share wine with a bunch of Frenchmen.

More importantly as already said a few niceties in all languages goes a long way in this game.

Best of luck to you and others like you, it certainly can be done and is such a better driving job than UK congestion, crap attitudes, crap facilities and the list goes on.

Hurryup&wait:

SeaOcean:

Franglais:

switchlogic:
Get an Eire passport if eligible, and so get a better choice of jobs.

I will consider an Eire passport if I find it really difficult. There might be an easier way though. I’ll see what happens.

Absolutely not required unless you want to live and/or work in European mainland.

There is loads of Euro work available to you without too much effort.

Northern Ireland is in the U.K. (United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). Loads of companies over there running to Europe mainly with goods from Southern Ireland and your U.K. driving licence and DCPC card are fully valid to go all over Europe and beyond with them.

Many of these guys push on fairly hard so perhaps not for the novice but some are very decent. I imagine Carna Transport are amongst the good ones with no shortage of destinations but Beefy and other locals would be much more knowledgeable.

Ireland (Eire in Gaelic language) is the official name for the South and we know this is an EU country.

Due to a long shared history there are some unique agreements between U.K. and Ireland that supersede EU arrangements.

UK citizens are free to live and work in Ireland whenever they want for as long as they want and vice a versa. No permits, visas or anything else required. :smiley: :smiley:

So technically U.K. citizens are still free to live and work in the EU or at least in a very small corner of it.

Truck drivers will need an Irish Driving Licence and Irish or other EU DCPC (but not UK) card to drive for an Irish Operators Licence holder (Irish Haulier).

U.K. drivers licences in all categories can be simply exchanged for the Irish equivalent online.
ndls.ie/licensed-driver/exc … cence.html

The transition period for exchanging UK DCPC has passed so I believe an initial Irish or other EU DCPC will be required which is not a big deal anyway.
rsa.ie/services/professiona … pc-drivers

There are many hauliers in Ireland doing Euro work and there are plenty of openings there and I’m told they pay more than Northern Ireland.
I would suggest looking at Irish companies close to a Ryanair route from your local airport.

Also some of the larger Irish companies have UK branches (UK trucks and Operators Licence). Nolan’s, Dixon, O Toole (I think). Some of these just do UK work, some go over and back to Ireland and others pick up transiting trailers in Rugby etc and head on to deliver in Europe. So these this type of operation might be an easier introduction to the next rung on the ladder.

The Touring Bands business for Europe was mostly done by UK hauliers, ask Harry and others. A hard Brexit and the resulting max days per annum in Europe is causing real headaches as well as the cabotage requirements and the Tachograph requirement for drivers to return home at least every 4 weeks. Many of those same UK hauliers have set up token Irish branches to overcome some of those problems and their head offices cannot be too far from you so make your enquiries with them.

Even the main UK branch can suddenly but regularly become desperate for a driver to replace a faller during the touring season and if you are on their contact list and available rather than experienced when they phone you are on your way within hours.

But if I were back in your shoes I would go to my nearest cross channel port at ferry arrival time and make a list of every UK truck I see coming off the ferry. Sometimes you may need the reg as the paint job might just be the company they are pulling for. That way you will get a feel for the big and small companies going abroad from your area.

Then do a few more ports, talk to drivers, and build up a picture of who is in the game. Then you must call in personally to say hello to the hiring guy and give him your details just like Harry did.

Your break will come. There is some class 2 work to the continent, mostly removals or horses or bands but I would push ahead with a class 1 asap because you can get comfortable in class 2 and this narrows your opportunities.

The short answer to your question is FRENCH but in true Trucknet fashion we usually answer everything except the question that was asked.

I pick French because the routier restaurants are fab but you do not get a choice of seat not to mind choice of table. You simply have to sit beside the guy before you and the 6-10 drivers eat dinner together at each table. Once in a blue moon you might meet another Brit or Paddy, possibly a Dutchman and never an EE but 99.9% you will break bread and share wine with a bunch of Frenchmen.

More importantly as already said a few niceties in all languages goes a long way in this game.

Best of luck to you and others like you, it certainly can be done and is such a better driving job than UK congestion, crap attitudes, crap facilities and the list goes on.

Good post.
If the OP or anyone gets on with an Eire company, all legal agreed, how will they stand with a UK passport and the 90 days rule in the EU?

Franglais:
Good post.
If the OP or anyone gets on with an Eire company, all legal agreed, how will they stand with a UK passport and the 90 days rule in the EU?

There is no 90 day rule between UK and Eire which supercedes EU rule.
While I was turned down by numerous enquiries just because I lived in Surrey not Essex or Midlands etc where they were based, to do runs which supposedly meant being out for at least a week or two.Let alone firms based further.
That’s even before the arbitrary ( experience/face fits hurdle ).
The truth is in that sector of the industry employers are looking for all the reasons NOT to employ the many prospective hopefuls.
As opposed to agencies flooded with the usual unwanted local UK type dross.
Harry can disagree if he wants to.
It’s understandable that the few winners in that career progression scam that infests the industry, will be in denial that their luck was only at the expense of the many losers.

Carryfast:

True that a UK driver can stay and work in Eire, and that the Ei/GB CTA precedes Brexit, and continues to-day, but how does that affect a UK driver (UK passport holder) in an Irish truck working in the EU? The OP was asking about working in Europe, and although Eire is of course in Europe, I don`t think that is what he meant.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

True that a UK driver can stay and work in Eire, and that the Ei/GB CTA precedes Brexit, and continues to-day, but how does that affect a UK driver (UK passport holder) in an Irish truck working in the EU? The OP was asking about working in Europe, and although Eire is of course in Europe, I don`t think that is what he meant.

How many international operators expect their drivers to be away on a Euro job for 3 months without returning to base.I assume we’re talking about an Irish based operation ?.
Even Middle East work wouldn’t have fallen foul of such a rule.
The fact is any proper international UK or Irish based job makes the drivers home address moot.But employers will use it as a laughable needless hurdle ( unless the candidate’s face fits ).

Carryfast:
While I was turned down by numerous enquiries just because I lived in Surrey not Essex or Midlands etc where they were based, to do runs which supposedly meant being out for at least a week or two.Let alone firms based further.
That’s even before the arbitrary ( experience/face fits hurdle ).
The truth is in that sector of the industry employers are looking for all the reasons NOT to employ the many prospective hopefuls.
As opposed to agencies flooded with the usual unwanted local UK type dross.
Harry can disagree if he wants to.
It’s understandable that the few winners in that career progression scam that infests the industry, will be in denial that their luck was only at the expense of the many losers.

Do you ever read the drivel you type, before posting it?

Carryfast:
[
The idea that international work isn’t generally a closed shop, based on extreme luck and/or who you know to get a start, makes as much sense

But there’s quite literally dozens of us on this site alone and thousands in total that prove it’s not a closed shop, and well how many who claim it is, literally only you :smiley: :smiley: I think people can make their own judgements about what you say. You were just a fairly common big talking dreamer and they could clearly see it