Artic unit on Class 2

Do you mean me wrote,
It seems they have, thankfully, closed this loophole. Just re-checked the regs on the Direct.gov site and they have brought the weight limits back in. A couple of years back they dropped them and said that a motorhome was only limited by a maximum size it could be. There are though, still people out there who have argued the case that what they did last year was legal and how can it be illegal to do it now.

I quite believe there are people arguing the case and carrying on with what they did before until they might get pulled and can make a case of it, it would be a very interesting court case to listen to. Because its in one of those grey areas there are always conflicting answers to the problem by the different authorities involved, VOSA says one thing, the Police another, the Licensing Authority sticks to weights for the license category and those with the vehicles claim something else. Can readers remember the problems in different parts of the country with the Four and a half hour rule being broken up to take Fifteen minute breaks instead of a full Fourty Five, it caused a lot of confusion and blokes were getting done in some areas until it was sorted out.

I would say though the easiest answer is to read the plate for any vehicle, and a motorhome shouldn’t be exempt one of those, to see what legal weight it is and therefore the license required to drive it with or without a trailer. Cheers Franky.

eddster1979:

russell2587:
I think people need to forget the class 1 or 2 thing. They don’t exist. Cat C is a truck be it flat, curtain or tractor unit, Cat C+E means you can pull a trailer with it, simples. Just wondering when did class 1,2 and 3 get replaced by C+E

1/6/1990 was the date that classes 1,2 and 3 were replaced with c,ce

But were they replaced? Some have a wagon and drag C&E but can’t drive an artic. Maybe they shouldn’t have bothered…

motorman:
Can someone answer a this question that has popped up in a work discusssion.
Can you drive a artic tractor unit without a trailer on a class 2 licence ?

Thank you

yes mate…no trailer means a rigid vehicle,hence class 2.

tachograph:

motorman:
A fellow worker (experienced class 1 driver) had argued the point that the 5th wheel had to be removed

I believe that used to be the case years ago but not any more.

If your mate needs convincing go here and check the vehicle categories :wink:

never has been the case as far as i know and i passed my class one in 1971.if theres no trailer its a rigid and therefore if a 4 wheeler unit it could be driven on the old class 3 licence for four wheelers.if a six wheel unit you needed a class two.now its all class 2 or 1.it was to do with how many wheels in contact with the road if not an artic.

tachograph:

motorman:
A fellow worker (experienced class 1 driver) had argued the point that the 5th wheel had to be removed

I believe that used to be the case years ago but not any more.

If your mate needs convincing go here and check the vehicle categories :wink: